26mm stem Deda? Or something else....

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TimF

by TimF

Hi all,

Looking for a new stem with a 26mm bar clamp. Finding it quite difficult to track a light sensibly priced one down. Is the Deda Newton 26 or KCNC stems the best option? I'm a light rider. I'm in the UK

Thanks, Tim

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mackers

by Mackers

Search for the Syntace F99 on German Ebay.

Lately they've been going for about €25. Brandnew.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The Cincelli Vai is about 160g and comes in 26.0mm calpm size. Only 110 and 120mm length in this clamp size though. Also quite cheap.

TimF

by TimF

The Syntace stems had a fault that saw them crack, do you know if those are OK?

Cheers, Tim

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

IIRC, the Syntace issue was from ages ago and corrected. Unless you find an older stem on that auction website I would not be concerned.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

Camilo

by Camilo

TimF wrote:The Syntace stems had a fault that saw them crack, do you know if those are OK?

Cheers, Tim

They had a recall on F99 stems several (at least 3) years ago. I bought a used stem on ebay around then, or maybe even 4 years ago. I looked at the recall info on their website, and saw my stem was affected (based on some identifying number - date?? on the stem). Anyway, I contacted them, and they replaced the stem immediately with no questions asked. Didn't ask if I was original owner or anything. All I had to do (based on their emailed instructions) was to cut the stem and email them a photo that showed the batch (or whatever) number and that it was cut.

There's been no problems with Syntace stems that I've read about since then. I'm very happy with mine for what it's worth. It's right around 100 grams for a 105mm stem with the standard bolts. I think you could lose another 5 or 10 grams with ti bolts (which I had and kept from the original stem!), but I happen to think the black ones look better (a travesty on ww I know!). They are a very large bang/buck ratio.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com