Colnago CX-1 EVO 2011

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

colnagoferrari

by colnagoferrari

Hi All.

Iam new to the forum! I got a Colnago CX-1 Evo from 2011. Iam very happy with it. But the weight is a lot!
My bike weighs almost 8kg. I maybe want to reduce that but where to start for not a lot of money.

Here is a link of how the bike looks like.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/824/p1000580p.jpg/

So if you have suggestions on how to go down with the weight i would be very happy. Also tell me what you think of the bike itself. I also have Mavic Cosmic Carbon SL but i think medium profile on this bike is ok!? Your thoughts?

Thanks already

colnagoferrari

by colnagoferrari

I forgot this.

Here are some specifications of my bike:

Colnago CX-1 54s Frameset
Colnago Carbon bottleholders
Colnago Carbon Seatpost
Campagnolo Chorus 11 speed 2011
Campagnolo Shamal Ultra 2012
Campagnolo Quick Releases
FSA Team Issue Stem and Handlebar and Crankset
Prologo Scratch Pro Saddle
Vittoria Open Corsa Evo SC Tires

I like Italian Stuff so if i can reduce weight with Italian Stuff that would be great. Otherwise if this is not possible some other stuff is also ok to me.

PS: I am not very skilfully with bikes so i would prefer to change things on my bike that are easy to do. If not i can fix something with my neighbour i think

So where can i save the most weight? The bike is now around 7.8kg so i would like to get him on a ''diet'' :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

c50jim

by c50jim

That sounds like a high weight for such a small bike with fairly good parts. Is your scale accurate?

A few reasonably inexpensive changes to save a few grams:

- lighter stem, carbon bar too if you want to drop a lot of cash
- lighter Scratch saddle
- lighter skewers

Unless you want to compromise with light brakes that don't work as well as yours (Zero Gravity, etc.), saddles with no padding (Toupe, etc.), carbon tubulars that cost the earth, you'll probably not lose a lot of weight. As someone who's owned road bikes as light as 7 kg and whose current heaviest bike is about 9.5 kg, I'd say that I really don't notice the difference between a 7 kg bike and an 8 kg one, although I do notice the 9.5 kg one on uphill stretches.

colnagoferrari

by colnagoferrari

Thanks c50jiim

Do you have any concrete suggestions which bar i could buy? And which saddle (which type from which brand is light)? Also i would like to know which quick releases are light but also good?

Thanks already

I hope you like the bike too :D

Other suggestions from more members are very welcome. Iam only a student so i havent got a lot of experience so the more help i get the better it is

apLe

by apLe

You can kill two birds with one stone by slamming your stem - lower weight plus better look.
18' R5 coming soon...

colnagoferrari

by colnagoferrari

Hi aple. Do you mean i have to replace the bar? Or do you mean that i have to remove the spacers, so my handlebar will go down in height which is nicer?

Who got some more advice what good quick releases are? Any thoughts on another saddle? Or other things to reduce the weight of my bike are very :welcome: :D

apLe

by apLe

Yup, I meant removing the tower of spacers ;]
18' R5 coming soon...

octav

by octav

You could get some Planet-X or KCNC Ti skewers, a lighter handlebar(FSA K-Force or SLK Carbon or maybe even something lighter if you want to pay more.
Also you could consider a lighter crankset(campagnolo) - you would gain 100 grams.
With these changes you would go around 200 grams lighter but you'll spend a lot of money :)

c50jim

by c50jim

For the lighter pieces, try FSA OS99 stem. Their carbon bars would be the same shape as your current bar and a lot lighter but also a lot of money for the weight saved. Prologo makes the Scratch in various models if you like its feel. I think the Pro Nack is quite a bit lighter but the same padding. I can't comment on light saddles because I want comfort. I too have been using the Scratch lately, although I've used the Fizik Aliante for several years (but it's not really light).

I tried the KCNC skewers, which are light (around 50 grams) but found I wasn't confident in their holding ability so sold them. I'm quite happy with the last generation Zipp skewers that are about 80 grams, or something like 50 grams lighter than the Campy ones.

Saving weight on a complete bike is expensive and unlikely to make a major change in the bike's overall weight. If you're a student and young, you'll probably get more performance improvement by spending the same amount of money on a coach.

colnagoferrari

by colnagoferrari

I am going to buy KCNC ti skewers next week to reduce the weight (65g with my Mavic skewers). Also iam going to drive on Continental Grand Prix Attack & Force (about 120 gram with my Vittoria Rubino pros).

Also iam thinking of buying a new handlebar. Iam thinking of the FSA K-Wing and the FSA plasma. What are your thoughts? What should i choose and what will look the best with the bike as a whole. Also i am not sure if i have to buy the handlebar in black or white?

Any suggestions are Very Welcome

This is how my bike looks like at the moment:

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/8716/img0481oy.jpg

colnagoferrari

by colnagoferrari

Anyone who has experience with one of the handebars or both? Or are there other suggestions for an FSA handlebar to reduce the weight? Maybe some more things i could change to reduce the weight further?

speedwobbles

by speedwobbles

Neither the K-Wing nor the Plasma are light.

K-Wing has a weird upsweep to the tops of the bars, making them kinda unique. Some find them comfy, I find them odd.

The Plasma is super stiff and cool-looking (if you repaint it....) and I think only comes in a shallow bend now.

I think the K-Force Light is the lightest bar FSA makes right now.

colnagoferrari

by colnagoferrari

Thanks speedwobbles for the answer. I know there are not the lightest but the look is important aswell. No i have FSA team-issue stem and handlebar. Is the FSA plasma not a lot lighter than the combination i have now.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

apLe wrote:You can kill two birds with one stone by slamming your stem - lower weight plus better look.

IF your body can handle it - and that should ALWAYS be the ONLY priority with stem slamming...

:smartass:

(honestly, please don't ever slam your stem just to look cool, thanks)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

speedwobbles

by speedwobbles

Going to a Plasma from that setup would still save you about 40-80gms depending on sizes and batch. The shape of your bars should actually be exactly the same, though the angle might be different (and non-adjustable).

Going to 3T Rotundo LTD bar and stem could save you around 150 gms and still be cheaper than the Plasmas. Not quite as stiff, but a little more classy. Just sayin'.