Which SID 120mm Forks?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

TheJackal

by TheJackal

Advice sought!

In terms of weight and performance is there much to choose between 2011 SID WCs and RLTs?

My quandary is that I'm building up a weight weenie based 120mm travel hardtail and have some WCs but they're tapered and there seem to be a lot more frames that take a straight steerer... I can get hold of some RLTs with a straight steerer but they weigh slightly more.

I've looked at the WCs main competitors, XRC 100s and Durin SLs but I still favour a 120mm fork as I already have a lightweight rigid 29er and would like something with a bit more travel for when things get a bit more lairy.

Asymptotic

by Asymptotic

You must be looking at alloy or steel frames as pretty much all recent carbon HT's (and a fair number of alloy for that matter) are all tapered.

I don't know why you'd want to get rid of the WC SID, I lust after the carbon crowns. :lol: It's also exceptionally performing.
Norwood & Adelaide Uni CC

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheJackal

by TheJackal

Asymptotic wrote:You must be looking at alloy or steel frames as pretty much all recent carbon HT's (and a fair number of alloy for that matter) are all tapered.

I don't know why you'd want to get rid of the WC SID, I lust after the carbon crowns. :lol: It's also exceptionally performing.

No, you're right, that's the point. I love 'em so much I'm trying to change the frame I want, to fit the bleeding forks!

Believe me there are a lot of carbon frames that either will only take straight steerers OR won't take too kindly to a 120mm travel fork.

Yes, I know I can reduce the WCs to 100mm but that's not the point. I would like to build up a relatively light frame, not quite the 18lbs of my former Scott Scale, but under 20lbs say, with a slightly more relaxed and less "race" orientated feel.

For example, I've just landed on a couple of Ibis Tranny's which will take a 120mm fork and are at around 1400g. But yes you've guessed it that have a straight head tube. Hence my question about the RLTs.

I've looked at the new Kinesis KM810 but it's only recommended for up to 100mm. The Cannondale Flash 4 is lovely and light (980g) and has a 1.5" head tube but seems much more of a Race frame, like the ubiquitous Scott Scale and so on.

2002maniac

by 2002maniac

Any frame with a zero stack 44mm lower headtube can take a tapered fork with THIS lower from Cane Creek. I have one on my Performance access budget build. Works great!

jooo

by jooo

I figure you're after a 26" bike right, if you've mentioned the Kinesis?

It might be a bit 'heavy' compared to some options you're looking at but the On-One 456 would make a great 'fun' bike. It may seem weird to run a SID WC on something that is more of an AM hardtail but it would work fine. Tapered head tube.
The frames are super tough and have huge tyre clearance so you can run things like Schwalbe 2.4's with no problem (there's actually a photo showing one with 29x2.0 wheel/tyres on MTBR :shock: ).

Mostly though, if it's something you're piecing together as a 'B' bike, they are regularly on sale for very good prices. Not to mention they easily clear 650B wheels/tyres if you're into that sort of thing at a later date.

Tiffster

by Tiffster

I don't understand why RS made the Sid WC with 120mm travel in a taper only option. Most people who have a tapered frame aren't too fussed on weight, but the people who are have to buy a frame with a tapered heatube which isnt generally lightweight. Seem to have shot themselves in the foot a bit.

If they did a WC/XX WC with 120mm travel and a straight tube i'd snap one up.

TheJackal

by TheJackal

2002maniac wrote:Any frame with a zero stack 44mm lower headtube can take a tapered fork with THIS lower from Cane Creek. I have one on my Performance access budget build. Works great!

According to Ibis the Tranny which primarily I'm trying to fit these forks to has the following fit; IS41/28.6 | IS41/30, so I take it the above headset is a no go?

TheJackal

by TheJackal

Tiffster wrote:I don't understand why RS made the Sid WC with 120mm travel in a taper only option. Most people who have a tapered frame aren't too fussed on weight, but the people who are have to buy a frame with a tapered heatube which isnt generally lightweight. Seem to have shot themselves in the foot a bit.

If they did a WC/XX WC with 120mm travel and a straight tube i'd snap one up.

Yes. Tell me about it! :cry:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com