Cervélo S-5 VWD

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

So I have given into the Cervélo craving and ordered an S-5; I have been digging the aero angle, having won a few races this year off of solo or small group breaks and really like its look (though some seem to hate it). So I test rode an S-5 and just loved it. Definitely not going to be an all out weenie, but should come out to a decent weight. Hoping it will be around 15 lbs. when its done whilst still being about as aero as a time trial rig.

Here is the initial build list and the weights on a few of the parts (the ones that I have handy and not on another bike). I am pretty excited to see the weight of the frame when I get it in a few days. Might eventually replace the brakes with the TriRig Omega brakes if they get some good reviews.

Frame: Cervélo S-5 VWD size 51
Fork: Cervélo FK26 UL
Headset: IS-3
Stem: Zipp Service Course SL Stem
Bars: Zipp Zukasprint bars 42cm 240g
Shifters: SRAM Red 373g (with cables)
Front Derailleur: SRAM Red 88g
Rear Derailleur: SRAM Red 144g
Brakes: KCNC C-7 Road Brakes 164g
Crankset: Quarq SRAM Red S-975 GXP 53/39 172.5mm
Bottom Bracket: Enduro GXP to BBright 42g
Pedals: Look Keo Blades 240g
Seatpost: Cervélo Seatpost
Saddle: Fizik Arione Carbon
Wheels: Zipp 303 FC and Zipp 808 FC
Tires: Vittoria Corsa Evo CX IIs 21mm/23mm
Skewers: Zipp Beyond Black stainless steel
Cassette: DA 11-25 (on both sets)
Chain: KMC X10SL Black 254g (all links)

Tell me what you guys think!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53x12

by 53x12

Great build! Looking forward to seeing pics of it built. Any reason for the 303FC instead of 404FC? Isn't the weight only around 80g difference?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

53x12 wrote:Great build! Looking forward to seeing pics of it built. Any reason for the 303FC instead of 404FC? Isn't the weight only around 80g difference?

Well I have 808s right now, so I thought that the best other set of wheels to have would be 303s wheels for the hillier races.

53x12

by 53x12

Gotcha. Probably doesn't matter since you already have the wheels but here is an interesting argument regarding wheel weight vs aero. The 303FC are a great wheel. But the negligible weight difference might not really matter. Just an interesting read I thought I would share.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Why_Whee ... _2106.html

"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

Well I had the bike all built up, was riding it to dial in the fit and get everything working well before I finished it up. Cut the steer and even raced the bike once and then two weeks into its short life my first Cervelo is already dead and disassembled. The rear brake mounting set-up used by cervelo on the S-5 to account for the strange layout of the rear triangle completely broke free from the frame. I don't mean the metal piece that the rear brake is attached to but the boss/mounting hole broke out of the frame.

Here are a few pictures of what I am talking about. The first picture is of the broken frame and the piece that broke off the frame:

And one from the back:

I'm pretty bummed because before this unfortunate accident I was really digging the bike; I'm putting it in the mail today to get it warranted and back in a few weeks. I suppose its kind of a good thing because I'm preparing for the state time trial and should be out on the TT bike instead but I'm still kind of upset.

Oh and the weight without race wheels (had on training set when I weighed it at the local bike shop [1800g pair]) it came in at 7.22kg. Goal is to get it to around 6.3kg-6.5kg while still being one of the most aero and stiff bike around. Here is one more blurry pic of the bike in near that state; please don't flame for the little ring:

Still had alot to do in this picture but it kind of gives you an idea of what it was looking like; will get it really done up right when I get the frame back from RAcycles in a few weeks. Will also get a frame weight :thumbup:

Edit- I am also trying to figure out what kind of final powermeter/ bottom bracket to include in this bike; any suggestions or help would be appreciated. I know that I am first going to replace the FSA pfbb30 bottom bracket with a enduro ceramic pfbb30 bottom bracket. Currently I am using the enduro reducers to allow the use of my old bikes GXP Quarq. However eventually I would like to get a permanent new powermeter/crank for this bike so that I can go back to training on my Torelli. So my options are:
- get a 2012 SRAM Red BB30 Quarq and remove the preload adjuster so that it will fit into the wider bbright platform
- get a new SRM powermeter for the bike (either a Red, Rotor, or maybe even the M3 THM or whatever that thing is)
- keep the GXP on the Cervelo and get a powertap for the torelli and put back on the old red crank
- keep the GXP crank for both bikes and just shuttle it around (not really ideal if I'm racing alot, I hate to have alot to do before races. I know it only takes 5 minutes but the adjustment is never the same when you are doing this even; when you do it with a proper torque wrench)

I will likely go for the first or second option because I'm lazy but I guess I would just like some other peoples opinions or insight into what works best for them.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Damn :O Your replacement will look sweet. Very slick looking bike. Almost certain that this is caused by a manufacturing flaw. Haven't heard this from any other S5 owners, so must be because they were pushing for production of the VWD. Haussler has been using his for quite some time, so this must be one of the "fall through the QC crack" kind of thing

mjduct

by mjduct

bad news bears, good thing Cervelo is fixing it for you/ replacing it.

if they replace it can you get the original damaged frame back from them?

I'd love to buy it from you and mail it to Calfee!

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

I got the frame shipped back to the shop that I got it from today so now the waiting, crying and praying game begins. I really hope that they accept that it was their fault or I'm out of luck for the rest of this season :noidea:

That would be so cool if they sent me a new frame and the broken one; I know it won't happen but that would be great! I could sell it and get a new cross bike or some wheels or an R-5 to match the S-5 :thumbup:

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Sorry to hear it broke on you. That is a nice looking bike for sure. It needs a custom Berk combo though. Those S5 seatposts are heavy.

SSB

by SSB

If money is no object, then I'd go for a THM M3 SRM. I'd also second the Berk seatpost combo since you can't use carbon railed saddles. My Arione and seatpost combo came in at more than 400 grams! If I were to buy an S5 again, I would get the seatpost combo once I had my fit dialed in- that would be one of the rare places you can save a lot of weight and get closer to the low 6 kgs.

Otherwise the build is pretty good for an aero bike, with the appropriate aero parts. The VWD looks great and rides great. I wish I could get your busted frame, it's the right size for me!
Flickr
2012 Cannondale CAAD10

natiedean24

by natiedean24

mjduct wrote:if they replace it can you get the original damaged frame back from them?

Uhhh, No.

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

SSB wrote:If money is no object, then I'd go for a THM M3 SRM. I'd also second the Berk seatpost combo since you can't use carbon railed saddles. My Arione and seatpost combo came in at more than 400 grams! If I were to buy an S5 again, I would get the seatpost combo once I had my fit dialed in- that would be one of the rare places you can save a lot of weight and get closer to the low 6 kgs.

Otherwise the build is pretty good for an aero bike, with the appropriate aero parts. The VWD looks great and rides great. I wish I could get your busted frame, it's the right size for me!

Edit- figured out the question that was here.

I would really love to get a berk combo but I'm afraid that it might bite me in the ass; I change my position way too much to be locked into a single position. I still might do it though because of how good they look on Prof. Chaos's and Bmanx's bikes :thumbup:

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

shoopdawoop wrote:I would really love to get a berk combo but I'm afraid that it might bite me in the ass; I change my position way too much to be locked into a single position. I still might do it though because of how good they look on Prof. Chaos's and Bmanx's bikes :thumbup:

Hopefully, I can fully recover from this concussion that has been hindering me, and I can return to racing and you can check it out in person. They are truly a work of art. I definitely recommend getting your position dialed first, and since your young, you might still grow a bit, and that would be problematic with a fixed saddle.

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

Received the new frame and got a chance to put it on the scale today.

Frame with bottle cage bolts, rear d hanger, and rear brake boss.

Uncut Fork

SSB

by SSB

:shock:

That's a nice weight on that frame! Although I must ask, is the right part of the frame leaning against the table?
Flickr
2012 Cannondale CAAD10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com