Lightest silver metal bar and stem?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Got a project, title says it...

Ideas for light silver metal bar and stem??

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Deda 215 shallow bars are spec'd at ... drumrolls ... 215g, as just mentioned in the other light alu bars thread.

Guess the even lighter non-silver ones could be polished though?

owl

by owl

Tune Gelies Teil stem 100-120 grams?
Owl

CharlesM

by CharlesM

silver raw finish???

teddysaur

by teddysaur

I won't say super light but Deda zero100 gunmetal looks sporty and light enough for me. Not sure if Deda is still making this color.

Ritchey also has some polish metal classic stem and bar. Maybe worth looking if you are going to the classic look.

xrs2

by xrs2

Take your pick of any bar or stem, black or silver. Anodization is super easy to remove, particularly on handlebars where there are no real crannies for the ano to hide.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

The trick with ano removal is not doing any sort of metal damage and assuming that the color underneath is silver...

I have a great set of wheels that look perfect but are not ridable after a dip and cleaning...

mythical

by mythical

I agree with teddysaur. That Ritchey 'Classic' stuff looks to be the answer. It has a polished finish, is quite cheap and light as well.
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

Also add that a Thomson silver stem and seatpost would look great with the Ritchey Classic silver bars.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The above is 130g depending on length and looks fab.

silvercivic27

by silvercivic27

Could go Thomson:

styrrell

by styrrell

CharlesM wrote:The trick with ano removal is not doing any sort of metal damage and assuming that the color underneath is silver...

What other color would it be?

I have a great set of wheels that look perfect but are not ridable after a dip and cleaning...

How do you know they aren't rideable and what did you use to remove the anodic coating?

jahknob

by jahknob

I never found a lighter set of Al bars than the TTT Prima 199s, which did tend to come in around 200g or thereabouts.

As for the stem, if it's an aheadstem, I believe it would be the Extralite Ultrastem UL3, which they USED to do in silver, but now the website says is only available in black (or maybe it was the previous version that I have that was in silver... Will have to check).

j.

KB

by KB

I have the Ritchey Classic bars and stem. Can't remember the weight of the stem but it was OK, but the bars are a pig. Mine weighed in at about 320g's.

The anodisation on the Deda stuff comes off quite easily and you can get a decent finish, but if you want it to look mint it needs to go to a polishers. Rasmus and Boonen when they posted used to do some nice stuff.

I've just had a Hollowgram crankset polished professionally and the result is stunning.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mythical

by mythical

KB wrote:I've just had a Hollowgram crankset polished professionally and the result is stunning.
That statement requires a pic to back it up! :thumbup:
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira