anyone use veloflex Corsa/Record 20???

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mjduct

by mjduct

and if so, under what conditions, it just seems those skinny little guys wouldn't be very practical????

jmartpr
Shop Owner

by jmartpr

They are great on the showroom or the scale.....at 135 grams they are essential for the ultimate WW build. I used to ride them a couple of times on the roads around here but you have to be extra careful with glass or any sharp object. Life is also very short. Being a 20 mm tire expect a harsher ride algo. Ohh the things we do for weight ;-) If you have a project that will see limited use you can live with them but for everyday use they are a big no-no.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

styrrell

by styrrell

I've used the VF record tubular on the front for a half ironman, maybe 80 miles of other TT races, and the various warm up cooldowns. No issues.

mjduct

by mjduct

what about the corsa? it is a little heftier at 170 grams? would a 20mm tire on a 21 mm rim give you the same aero benefit of the wider aero rims that are all the rage?

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

A 20mm tyre on a 21mm wide rim is asking fro trouble. The tyre should at the very least equal the rim's width. Normallly rim width + 1 mm.

That said, I never had any particular problem with Veloflex Corsa be that a 20 or 22mm one. They're light so they're bound to be pretty skinny. Don't expect the impossible and avois glass shards and other urban debris and all should be fine.
Pretty fast and comfy too. Especially so when outfitted with a decent latex inner tube.

Record is just too skinny for regular road use, it's a specialty tyre designed for time trialing.

would a 20mm tire on a 21 mm rim give you the same aero benefit of the wider aero rims that are all the rage

For starters wider rims aren't more areo (not when width is measured where it should be measured when we're talking rim width anyway) and a narrower tyre on a wider rim is about the least aero as can be.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

i roll veloflex corsa 20s, got 4000km between punctures on seriously bad roads here in CHCH after our earthquakes, still in my opinion best tyre on the planet hands down. im not huge either, 70kgs and 178cm short... i love them :o
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

fdegrove wrote:A 20mm tyre on a 21mm wide rim is asking fro trouble. The tyre should at the very least equal the rim's width. Normallly rim width + 1 mm.

These are clinchers he is talking about. I mounted a 23mm Corsa CX on 28mm MTB rim and it was 29mm wide. Looked rather nice actually.

So within reason, the tire will be wider than the rim regardless. And yes, a 20mm tire on a 21mm rim would be fine. The Veloflexes are not very aero though because of the lip where the tread meets the sidewall. Conti Supersonics are better.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

The Veloflexes are not very aero though because of the lip where the tread meets the sidewall. Conti Supersonics are better.

Any tread pattern would potentially generate more turbulance than the mere transition of a tread and the underlaying sidewall structure I'd say.

Conti Supersonics are better.

So you keep telling us again and again and again. :roll:

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by 11.4

Conti Supersonics are great, and a bit more resistant to puncture than Veloflex Records. But nothing rides like a Veloflex Record. The Supersonics come in different sizes. And you need to test different pressures with Supersonics to get one that works for you; with Records they are a bit more accommodating (usually surprising you with optimal performance at lower pressures). Different strokes ...

FWIW, I had a pair of Veloflex Records from some track clinchers that I put on some road wheels and put 1,034 miles of hard city road training on them without a puncture. I (knock on wood) don't puncture much, but these tires did fine and were bald when I finally took them off. Not bad for 135 grams. I did have the same luck with Conti Supersonics as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com