Selle Italia SLR saddle shape new vs old

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

I was quite interested in the SLR kit carbonio, but it seemed like they changed the shape to be more flat from front to back.

I heard the old one has a more curvy shape which I prefer, can anyone who is familiar with them over the years confirm this, has it changed enough for you to notice?

I don't want to spend $250 to find out this is yet another flat saddle.. like arione or antares. I want something with the middle "cradle" area.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DMF

by DMF

It sinks in the middle and becomes a comfy hammock pretty fast, after first 50 hours or so. It's much like the old version, which I've been ön for a decade so I too was nervous, but even sligthly bettet. Tough to point out how it's better, it's very subtle. No need to stock up ön old stock.

Zachariah

by Zachariah

No worries - all Selle Italia SLR saddles conform exquisitely to your own sit bones....like a anatomically-carved piece of wood.
Due to the urging of all the ladies...I do NOT shave my legs!

aermet

by aermet

I'm one who has found the newer slr saddles to be not as comfortable as the old.

In case you are settled on buying the newer version, I have 2 lightly used white slr's flows I'd be glad to let go of. One is the kit carbonio and the other is a mono link. PM me if you're interested.

bones

by bones

Did somebody say that the Selle Italian SLR is a comfy hammock?! LOL! Yeah right. My balls never thought it was a hammock at all.

Zachariah

by Zachariah

bones wrote:Did somebody say that the Selle Italian SLR is a comfy hammock?! LOL! Yeah right. My balls never thought it was a hammock at all.

LOL...they are so comfy - my balls and scrotum pole sometimes falls asleep!
Due to the urging of all the ladies...I do NOT shave my legs!

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Zachariah wrote:
bones wrote:Did somebody say that the Selle Italian SLR is a comfy hammock?! LOL! Yeah right. My balls never thought it was a hammock at all.

LOL...they are so comfy - my balls and scrotum pole sometimes falls asleep!

They are just taking a little nap....possibly forever :twisted:
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

irongatsby

by irongatsby

I don't know if this matters to you, but I believe the new saddle has a higher stack height of 41mm whereas the old one's measure at 34mm.

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

Useful for anyone whose ISP has been cut too short !

bones

by bones

irongatsby wrote:I don't know if this matters to you, but I believe the new saddle has a higher stack height of 41mm whereas the old one's measure at 34mm.

What? How do saddles have stack height? Never heard of that before. Stack heights for headsets sure, but saddles?

Arky

by Arky

read the post above yours.

carbon2329

by carbon2329

I had similar concerns when the shaped was changed (about 2years ago,now, I believe).

I have yet to try the new shape.

I did, however, buy a bunch of the old ones cheap online, since the the new design came out and the old ones went on sale.

I bought them for about 50% off what the new ones cost.

gospastic

by gospastic

I moved from an SLR Fibra to one of the newer shaped SLR Teams. The new one feels different to me but I've gotten used to it. It's no more or less comfortable for me than the older ones.

irongatsby

by irongatsby

What? How do saddles have stack height? Never heard of that before. Stack heights for headsets sure, but saddles?[/quote]

Distance between the mounting rails(I believe the center line of the rail) and the top of the saddle. That's what the industry calls it.

wss03

by wss03

Can someone confirm this? I was told the new saddles are the exact same height as the old ones. I don't want to have to cut my ISP again if possible. The new saddles are more cut out than the older ones and make the rails appear larger but I would think the height is the same.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com