cervelo r3 clicking problem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

apLe

by apLe

There is a weird clicking sound coming from, probably, my crankset or somewhere around. Always when the right arm is between 1 and 2 o'clock and only when the bike is... dry! Yesterday I got caught with the rain and the sound was gone. Once the bike started drying, the sound came back. I checked all the bolts, lubed the chain, checked cleats, drivetrain, simply everything. It's a bbright frame with campy sr 11s, power2max rotor 3d crank and look blade pedals. Any ideas what can cause this problem? Am I missing sth?
18' R5 coming soon...

Rippin

by Rippin

Have you checked the rear quick release skewer? If not tight enough, they can cause a clicking sound.
____o
_`\<,_
(*)/ (*)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

apLe

by apLe

Checked. It's tight enough for sure. Maybe dt 240 hubshell? Or the r. der.? what can make a sound depending on being dry/wet...
18' R5 coming soon...

uraqt

by uraqt

Check the BBright cups, if not installed correctly some times the move around in the frame. There is a lot threads about this in cervelo's fourms

C

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Loctite for the BBright cups

sastre

by sastre

i'd put money on the cassette dinging into the freehub body i bet your using shimano as well.
i got a da cassette on a 240 hub and was suprised at how soft it was needed pliers to get it off.
Full steam we go against the odds
Headfirst we go against the grain
Against the odds, against the grain
We go against the odds, against the grain

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

sastre wrote:i'd put money on the cassette dinging into the freehub body i bet your using shimano as well.
i got a da cassette on a 240 hub and was suprised at how soft it was needed pliers to get it off.

I'll take that bet!

+1 on the BBRight cups being imperfectly fitted.

JTKK

by JTKK

I had similar clicking sound coming from my 2011 R3 and after greasing pedal threads clicking was gone.

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

I've actually had this issue on my S2 once I switched to BSA cups with my rotor crank from my standard FSA gxp crank. I know it's the cups - I've just been lazy about taking care of it.

mjduct

by mjduct

check your cleat/shoe/pedal interfaces, there is a guy I ride with that every time he hits a slope and starts really pulling up with his pedal stroke his left pedal clicks in about the same position. If you typically pedal in a circle (not mashing) I would guess you could potentially have the same clicking sound all the time?

monkeyburger

by monkeyburger

I had the identical problem on my RS- and the noise went away in the rain.
I pulled everything apart and checked the usual suspects; derailleur hanger screws, BB threads, dry skewers, loose/dry cassette, chainring bolts, pedals/cleats, seatpost/seat rails and on and on.
The culprit? The headset upper compression sleeve (aluminium) had just a faint bit of corrosion on it and was "clicking" on the carbon steerer (3T fork). A little bit of white lithium grease and the sound went away.
I had the identical issue on my Giant and instead of ripping everything apart, I immediately looked at the headset. Same deal.
Is it humid where you live? If you are out in the rain does your bike have a chance to dry out before it is used again?

Good Luck,
Monkeyburger
...finding my inner Onoda-kun...

motorthings

by motorthings

I have the same problem, but it is my knees that make the clicking sound in the rain...more painful to disassemble and grease those. :mrgreen:

jamieh

by jamieh

+1 for the headset...

Took me a long time to figure it but what a relief!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

apLe

by apLe

Guys, guys - thanks for your input! BB cups were properly installed using primer and loctite by my LBS so I hope it's not the cause. I'm not at home until Sunday, but when I come back I'll check the pedals' threads and headset. Looking at the website posted by one of you I think I'll have to spend whole day with the bike on the stand checking whether sound is gone or not.

Will report in a while if anything helped and what was the cause of this annoying sound ;]
18' R5 coming soon...