good thin/light gloves?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

mjduct

by mjduct

Greetings forumites!

I typically ride bare handed, but I had a buddy who had a nasty crash last week and his hands look like ground beef now... so now I'm looking for some fingerless gloves

When I've worn gloves in the past They made my hands fall asleep and they were hot, sweaty and gross. Can you recommend some thin/light gloves to be used more for road rash protection than for anything else?

keep in mind my rides are typically between 85-105 degrees , and I don't want alot of padding (I use mechanix gloves in the winter for warmth, but our winter in South Texas is like 6 weeks)

Thank you!
Last edited by mjduct on Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

russianbear

by russianbear

Hot, sweaty hands are better than meat grinder, road rash hands. Mechanix are probably the thinnest (at least the ones I have) full finger ones and when going at a good clip the flow air pretty well through the top.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

Giro LTZ

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

I swear by Castelli Rosso Corsa (when I am not riding gloveless).
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

indrek
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by indrek

Castelli S.Tre gloves for hot days. I think the best ones I have owned. And the rubber padding is surprisingly comfortable (and grippy). Important to get the right size (to have a proper tight fit). I got an S (perfect fit), although by Castelli measurements I should get an M.

geedawg

by geedawg

On the Castelli trend, their Aero Gloves are pretty darn minimalist. Which is exactly why I like them. Little to no padding on the palms and a thin lycra back.

milkbaby

by milkbaby

+1 Castelli Aero or Giro LTZ

Sent using Tapatalk 2

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

geedawg wrote:On the Castelli trend, their Aero Gloves are pretty darn minimalist. Which is exactly why I like them. Little to no padding on the palms and a thin lycra back.

I love mine, bought two pairs when I could

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Powerful Pete wrote:I swear by Castelli Rosso Corsa (when I am not riding gloveless).
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/produ ... 301.0.html wrote:The palm <of the 2012 Castelli Rosso Corsa Glove> has generous padding, 5mm thick in sections, made of a porous gel pad to minimize palm sweat inside the glove.
I don't know about you, but if accurate, 5 mm of padding doesn't sound thin to me.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I found Pearl Izumi's aero gloves to be better than Castelli's. Plus you get the famed PearlIzumi-we'll-replace-it-without-a-receipt-lifetime-warranty.
Castelli gloves have been notoriously bad in their stitching, from personal experience. Your mileage may vary.
Louis Garneau also makes an aero glove, in my opinion it looks less "poseur living in the past" than the Castelli.

For the non-aero variety: I've been very pleased with these from Louis Garneau -
http://www.realcyclist.com/louis-garneau-0-calory-glove
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I have those Garneau's......rarely wear gloves, but when I do, I wear those.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

prendrefeu, I never thought of doing it before, and just figured I got my use out of them, but I have two Pearl Izumi jerseys which are in good shape except for zippers which are stuck in one position. They were purchased in 2000 and 2006. Would Pearl Izumi actually repair these for me (replace the zippers)? I only bought the second jersey because the zipper on the first stopped working.

Also, I use Pearl Izumi race gloves, which unfortunately, Pearl Izumi stopped making several years ago. After having bought a couple of pairs from madcow when I was visiting Tucson on business, I cleaned out madcow's remaining stock in size medium after that model went out of production. Unfortunately (actually, fortunately), they are the longest lasting gloves I've ever had, so I expect my remaining gloves to last me until I get put in a home as a senile old man*.

* as opposed to a senile middle-aged man who still rides

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Hammer, I don't know about jerseys - only had gloves replaced and didn't have a problem. Seams were stretching on one hand, sent them in, got a new year model back.
http://shop.pearlizumi.com/cms/index.ph ... e-warranty
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

artray

by artray

six six one MTB gloves ,very light and groovy

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

I was just in the exact position you were in. I had the Rosso for a year and they kind of fell apart so I was looking for the same things you were in gloves except that I hate velcro latches. I decided to try these since Florida gets pretty hot the summer.

http://www.swimoutlet.com/ProductDetail ... ick=205146

They feel fantastic and about as minimal as a glove can get. :thumbup: