Ideas on aero stems for non intergratred TT bikes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mikmik

by Mikmik

Looking for an Aero styled stem to complete the TT beast but am really finding it hard to track down any. This seems like the front brake issue as well.....forgotten when it comes to aero. Even if it made stuff-all difference aero wise I say it would still sell as it 'looks' aero.

This is one of just 2 I found;

Any others you know of? Any in a manufacturer's pipeline?

Thank you.

Mik.
It's not how much you spend on a bike it's how hard you can ride it.

hansonator69

by hansonator69

You could consider the 3T Integra somewhat aero...

Slam your stem.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

The 3T isn't really aero. The whole back side of the stem is still very unsmooth. This has been very hard for people to find options for. The best way to go is the Shimano Pro stem that you already found. As for brakes, wait for TriRig's Omega

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

justkeepedaling wrote:The 3T isn't really aero. The whole back side of the stem is still very unsmooth. This has been very hard for people to find options for. The best way to go is the Shimano Pro stem that you already found. As for brakes, wait for TriRig's Omega

The Integra with the Oval "Pete Coulson Aero Cap" might be worth considering.
-SD

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

Yeah, the area behind the stem can drive one nuts!

The oval cap is nice, but won't fit all stems nicely. And if I get obsessed about stuff like that, I don't want a gap between the stem and the cap.

The Pro Mark Cavendish stem looks half decent, but is wicked heavy and only available in lengths that you don't usually use in TTs.

I was really hopefuly about the Integra, but the end is disappointing and I much prefered the Cycleops version over the Garmin one.

The Enve one is pretty light and has this tail at the end, so it might not be too bad, but that's just a WAG.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

Mikmik

by Mikmik

Ahh I see what you mean. VERY small tail but I guess there is a hint of it there.

I just can't believe the front brake and stem has had such little attention!!!! I mean reading the literature in one of the local bike magazines regarding the new Sram Red and part of the talk was focused that the quick release lever of the brake calliper is designed to face backwards to make it more aero.....wtf? A tiny winy little brake calliper's quick release given an aero attention?!?!?!?!

I think manufacturers have missed a bit of business here. And I understand that the aero benefit may be not worth mentioning but even just looking aero would have sold many units.

The stem being more and more integrated may not see an aero attention from here onwards (on TT bikes at least anyway but on roadies there is still abundant opportunity to be had) and it appears it's the same story for the front brake calliper.

elviento

by elviento

I could be wrong, but it actually makes perfect sense why an aero stem hasn't been made. I have given it a lot of thought (for a custom job) but have not done anything because:

1. What about vertical adjustment and the spacers? Unless you have spacers that also integrate the stem into the frame, the whole set up will look really sh**ty.

2. sharp tip facing the rear isn't very ensuring for your weenie (pardon the pun). Let alone the legal risks.

3. The weight penalty will be fairly high.
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

That 3T is nice
Hucken The Fard Up !
Colnagos : C50 ST01 - Master 30th AD10 - C40 Mapei WC

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

Mikmik wrote:This is one of just 2 I found;

:hmm: Wait a minute, what's the other one?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

Mikmik

by Mikmik

Ypsylon wrote:
Mikmik wrote:This is one of just 2 I found;

:hmm: Wait a minute, what's the other one?

That 3T one.

Also Oval do an aero cap for a stem but they are hard to find.

Pro do the Cavendish stem that looks pretty smooth.

And just on this thread there is the Enve option but that is really not much of an aero option.

None of them are really a weghtweenie option though that do a good aero job. job.

Mikmik

by Mikmik

elviento wrote:I could be wrong, but it actually makes perfect sense why an aero stem hasn't been made. I have given it a lot of thought (for a custom job) but have not done anything because:

1. What about vertical adjustment and the spacers? Unless you have spacers that also integrate the stem into the frame, the whole set up will look really sh**ty.

2. sharp tip facing the rear isn't very ensuring for your weenie (pardon the pun). Let alone the legal risks.

3. The weight penalty will be fairly high.

1.When you have your setup done cut steerer then on goes the aero stem. Done. Major drawback-limited adjustability from there on.

2.hmmmm yeah good point.

3.It is widely accepted that the penalty of aero is weight.

Good poits though.

Junk Mile King

by Junk Mile King

More and more, the stem is being included as a part of a TT frame set. After market, your options will remain limited.

Mikmik

by Mikmik

Junk Mile King wrote:More and more, the stem is being included as a part of a TT frame set. After market, your options will remain limited.

On TT bikes yeah but on roadbikes it's not yet a trend. Wonder when it will start though as pros seem to always want to get lower and lower, this might be a way to get there.

Still I say the roadie market could benefit from an aero stem...maybe rounded end or cut off fin like the Scott road frame's trailing edge.

sleepingmenace

by sleepingmenace

I'm actually finishing the design for a aero stem for use with 3T Brezza bars. The front cap preserves the leading wing edge of the bars right across the face of the stem, with an aero shape flowing back to the steerer clamp which then has a tail.
I've been refining this in the FEA and CFD software I use here.. finding that rather elusive sweetspot between the best in aerodynamics and the stiffness/weight I'm looking to maintain.
I've kept the cap bolt pattern the same as existing 3T stems such that it could be used with them, but there's to be a much more significant aero advantage to using the whole stem.

I'll be cutting moulds to make it from carbon fibre within a couple of weeks and will post pics of the prototype.

Stay tuned :)
:popcorn:
http://anotherdooratthe.endoftheinternet.org

Cycle related blog entries, including a few 5 minute reviews:
http://anotherdooratthe.endoftheinterne ... y/cycling/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mikmik

by Mikmik

please do, be very keen to see results :)