Giant Advanced TCR SL + 2012 SRAM Red

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

spacepolice2

by spacepolice2

I've been lurking on these forums for the past few months, reading advice and scouring for ideas. I got the ok from she-who-wears-the-pants to build up another project bike, as my Litespeed has recently become my daily ride. The aim was to find a sweet spot between lightness and price, hence a combination of new and almost-new parts. I spent a long time wondering whether new Red was justifiable over old Red for the price, or if I should go Ultegra Di2. Anyway, I just finished building it today, so here she is!

Frame: 2010 Giant TCR Advanced SL Rabobank ISP
Drivetrain: 2012 SRAM Red, 53/39 170mm GXP crank, PC-1091R chain, 12-25 cassette
Cables: Gore Ride-On Professional
Wheels: Profile Design Altair 52mm tubulars
Skewers: Circus Monkey CNC + Ti axles
Tires: Continental Competition tubular
Brakes: Ciamillo Negative-G Ti
Pedals: Look Keo Blade Carbon Ti
Handlebars: 3T Ergonova LTD 40cm
Bartape: Fizik Microtex
Stem: Ritchey WCS C260 carbon 80mm
Saddle: Selle San Marco Aspide Carbon FX
Bottlecage: Speedplay Nanogram

Cost: $3800 AUD
Weight: Estimated 6.1kg based on parts weights, will get it properly weighed soon
Last edited by spacepolice2 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Sorry, had to remove the image tags. Shots a little too large.

Feel free to resize them :thumbup:

Great machine, don't see many Giant's with Red. And a verified weight would be excellent too.

Just a few things;

- more money into grouppo than wheels?

- how have you found the brakes

- and, the killer, what is with that ISP stubby?!! :shock:

Tomstr

by Tomstr

THAT is how you build a bike. :shock:

Nice pictures too!

Does this frame have the press-fit bottom bracket?
Ride it like you stole it

spacepolice2

by spacepolice2

Resized as requested .

More money was sunk into the grouppo than anything else, since it was impossible to find used 2012 SRAM Red! Hence my dilemma between 2011 and 2012 Red, as I could have assembled a 2011 drivetrain for a lot less money. Also, I got the frameset and wheels REALLY cheap. How cheap? $800AUD for the frameset + BB, and $710AUD for the wheels + tires! :D I'd love a set of Zipp 303s or similar (as it'd easily make this a sub-6kg build), but I couldn't pass up the PD Altairs for the price.

The bike's only just been built, so I haven't had a chance to ride it or test the brakes yet. You can see from the photo that it's been a wet weekend here in Melbourne. As for the stumpy ISP, yeah, it came cut pretty short, although there's enough adjustability for me to dial it in properly. I have short legs and a not-quite-so-short torso (I'm only 5ft 6), but I do need to put the saddle up about 1.5cm.

sjc166

by sjc166

Coming from Melbourne and now living in The Netherlands, this bike caught my attention :D Great build (and weight), especially for the price you paid. Love the photos...makes me home sick :( How do you like the 2012 Red groupset, i have the 2011 and i am impressed...wonder if the 12 would be much better.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

No issue with the height (not about to be an internet bike fitter) but rather the colour.

It grabs my attention. And not in a good way.

Didn't come with a white one?

spacepolice2

by spacepolice2

Thanks for the complements guys regarding the photos. For those that care, I shoot a Nikon D700, and the lens is a Voigtlander Ultron 40mm f2 SL II. Yep, that's right, manual focus. The Voigtlander renders a cooler colour balance than my other lenses, so it was perfect for this particular autumn/winter shot.

Without having ridden the new bike yet (aside from on the trainer to help set up the bar and shifter position), all I can confirm is that the Yaw front derailleur is quite easy to set up if you follow the official SRAM instruction video on Youtube, and that there is indeed no chain rub even in extreme crosschaining. I recently completely serviced and recabled my Litespeed, so my old Force groupset is running like new and is beautifully smooth - the new Red will have to be something damned special to beat it!

Speaking of my Litespeed, here's a photo. It's a 2000 Tuscany, bought used as a frameset in 2005 and has been in evolution ever since. Just like my new Giant, it's been build out of used parts. The drivetrain, as mentioned before, is SRAM Force from back when SRAM first released its road groupsets. Since I moved to Australia 4 months ago, I've been riding to work instead of buying a car. As I'd left my old Fuji home in New Zealand (to ride when I holiday back there), the Litespeed has become a daily bike - hence the Giant as my new weekend ride.

Not sure how much it weighs, probably a bit over 7kg. Build is as follows:

Frame: 2000 Litespeed Tuscany
Headset: Ritchey WCS
Forks: Cannondale Slice Si (full carbon incl. steerer + dropouts)
Shifters, FD, RD: 2006 SRAM Force
Crankset: Shimano FC-R700 50/34 172mm
Cassette: SRAM Red Openglide 12-26
Chain: Shimano DuraAce 10sp
Pedals: Time RXS
Cables: Standard Shimano
Brakes: Ciamillo Zero Gravity
Wheels: American Classic CR-420
Tires: Schwalbe Ultremo
Skewers: KCNC
Handelbars: Specialized FACT 40mm
Bartape: Willier
Stem: Ritchey WCS C260 carbon 80mm
Seatpost: Ritchey WCS carbon
Saddle: Specialized Toupe Ti 130mm
Bottle cage: Specialized
Last edited by spacepolice2 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

spacepolice2

by spacepolice2

Tinea Pedis wrote:No issue with the height (not about to be an internet bike fitter) but rather the colour.

You mean the big black seatpost mast topper? Nope, it only comes in black! I thought about painting it white, so I Photoshopped it during the build. Problem is that looks even weirder, as the Giant logo and orange stripe suddenly end where the mast topper overlaps. So black wins. Also, it breaks the white in a similar way to the stem, so aesthetically it works for me.

ProudDaddy

by ProudDaddy

spacepolice2 wrote:
Tinea Pedis wrote:No issue with the height (not about to be an internet bike fitter) but rather the colour.

You mean the big black seatpost mast topper? Nope, it only comes in black! I thought about painting it white, so I Photoshopped it during the build. Problem is that looks even weirder, as the Giant logo and orange stripe suddenly end where the mast topper overlaps. So black wins. Also, it breaks the white in a similar way to the stem, so aesthetically it works for me.

I have the same bike but my "big black seatpost mast topper" is much shorter. There are 2 versions, and you have the long one. Unless your mast is cut too short and you have the stack filled with spacers, you can swap for the shorter stock topper. The whole "Giant" along the mast may then be visible and the look more seamless.

SmallEngine

by SmallEngine

Nice Bike, SpacePolice2! I've always like those Rabobank Giants, I think it looks much better than the current generation of Rabobank TCR Advanced SL. What size is your bike? And what is your saddle height from BB to top of saddle?

EDITED, meant to address to SpacePOlice2.
Last edited by SmallEngine on Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spacepolice2

by spacepolice2

Sadly, the ISP has big paint chips all the way down the back, from the previous owner adjusting the seatpost badly. Some day, I may get it repainted. Of course, I'll have to find a shorter seat post top to use first. Sounds like an easy way to save a big chunk of weight!

Tomstr

by Tomstr

You could try touch-up paint from the carshop if you can find the right RAL color.

Also, Giant stocks their accessoires quite well. A shorter seatpost top would be easy to order at your dealer.
Ride it like you stole it

SmallEngine

by SmallEngine

Hi Spacepolice2,

Great bike, loved the last few year's Giant TCR Advanced SL. What size frame is your's? And your Saddle height from BB to top? Thanks!

spacepolice2

by spacepolice2

Size is small. BB centre to rails is 66cm. Are you looking at buying a used one with a cut ISP?

The paint on the frame is rather thick, so I don't think some quick touchup paint will do the job. The paint probably has to be sanded back a bit to even out the edges of the chips, and then properly repainted and finished. The frame itself is actually slightly off-white, so it'll definitely need to be properly matched. Would be nice to get it done and get the shorter seatpost topper, as I'm only about 1cm above the bottom-most setting (ie. plenty of length left on the ISP to support the shorter version).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SmallEngine

by SmallEngine

Yes, I currently ride a size small TCR Advanced SL, non-ISP model, and really like it. I am curious about the ISP models and half keeping an eye out for one that might come up for sale locally, and wondered how it would look with my saddle height.

I like the look (in S) of the last generation of TCR Advanced SLs, better than the current ones.