Some advise needed on Quarq + SRAM S975 Power Meter

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Roark

by Roark

Hi

I am considering buying a Quarq SRAM S975 power meter for my Giant TCR Advanced. It is big money so I am analysing carefully the pros/cons. I've done some research, but it would be great if you could give me some feedback/advise on the following issues.

1. The frame comes with a GXP BB, so I think that the version of the crankset I need is this one: http://www.powermeter24.com/de/Quarq-Tr ... M-S975-GXP" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I am choosing the compact version with 175 mm cranks. If at some point in the future I decide to change my frame (and I will, it is already 2.5 years old) and get one fitted with BB30, do I have to change the whole crankset or is there any adapter available?

2. I have read that the 2012 SRAM Red crankset (w/ Quarq) has some new features (http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/05/sram ... eview.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). The version shown in the previous link is the same as the one DC Rainmaker reviews, the only difference being the crankset, isn't it?

3. Is the S975 crankset (and PM) compatible with Q-Rings? May swap rings for the next season and it would be a bummer to find out that the oval ones are not compatible with my new and shiny PM...

4. How often do they need recalibration? I tend to unistall the rings to thoroughly clean them rather often (monthly or so) and obviously don't want to send the crankset to SRAM for recalibration so often...

5. It seems that the Red 2012 PM has a feature that allows to change rings without recalibration... Is this the case with the 2012 Quarq S975? I read somewhere that you can't do that with the S975, but I don't remember where...

6. What are the advantages/disadvantages of the 2012 S975 vs 2012 Red? I prefer the S975 because I may upgrade to Ultegra Di2 in the future (I am currently using a 2.5 years old Rival), and the 2012 Red cranks wouldn't look very good coupled with the Ultegra whilst the S975 would be OKish, but if 2012 Red are far better I may have to reconsider...

7. Finally, I live in Madrid (Spain). Do you know any shop nearby or any good internet shop in Europe that trades them?

Phew, lots of questions. I hope I am not revisiting old issues and that you guys can help me a bit...
Last edited by Roark on Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Martin.F

by Martin.F

1: If you buy a BB30 frame you can get adapters to fit the GXP crank in there. Like these
2: Yes
3: Yes, I'm using aero q-rings on my s975 now.
4: Not sure, but I imagine manual zero would be enough?
5: This one I'm not sure about. EDIT: http://www.quarq.com/ring-difference" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
6: Get the 975, much easier to "hide" if you want something else than Sram next year :)
7: I'm from Norway so I don't know. R2-bike has them listed, but with waiting time. Shoot them a mail :thumbup:

petromyzon

by petromyzon

I may be wrong but I take the improved accuracy spec and reduced requirement for calibration as significant steps forward. I certainly wouldn't buy either old or new with the intention of regularly removing the rings- asking for trouble IMHO. Getting quality data is the primary concern, everything else (including obsessive bike cleanliness;)) is fluff.

sungod

by sungod

4 - the original quarq needed recalibration after changing rings, officially this was a return to factory task, i *think* the new one is more tolerant

in the eu i think this may be the cheapest supplier...

http://www.powermeter24.com/

...i have swapped emails with them, they were very helpful

the site is in german, you can navigate some of it with google translate but it does not work on all pages and can mess up the transaction, so once you are sure what you want it may be best to email them the order and have them confirm details and price

m103348

by m103348

I also have a similar question. Is the Quarq s975 compatible with BBright? Or is the GXP version only for GXP? Thanks for any help!

durkonion

by durkonion

1. You can get an adapter.
2. The cranks are the same for the Red Powermeter and the S900/S950/S975 cranksets. The only difference is graphics.

The Quarq "Mercury" powermeter is the one with the updated features and is only available with the Red graphics.

The Cinqo/Saturn version is the old version.

3. Yes.
4. Not sure.
5. The Cinqo/Saturn does require recalibration. The Mercury does not.

luckysix

by luckysix

FWIW, you can use a BB30 s975 quarq on a standard BSA (non-BB30) frame with a Rotor BSA30 bottom bracket.

Roark

by Roark

durkonion wrote:2. The cranks are the same for the Red Powermeter and the S900/S950/S975 cranksets. The only difference is graphics.

The Quarq "Mercury" powermeter is the one with the updated features and is only available with the Red graphics.

Whoa, interesting. Any news about when the Quarq Mercury will be available on s975 cranks? I wouldn't mind paying a bit more for the new features (OmniCal mostly), but I find the requirement to buy the Yaw FD and the 2012 shifters a ripoff.

Roark

by Roark

From this (http://blog.quarq.com/sram-red-quarq-power-meter) I would say that after the merger of Quarq and SRAM there will not be such a version of Quarq "Mercury" integrated with any other cranksets than SRAM Red.

Bummer.

Oh well, I'll have to go with the s975 Saturn.

durkonion

by durkonion

Roark wrote:
durkonion wrote:2. The cranks are the same for the Red Powermeter and the S900/S950/S975 cranksets. The only difference is graphics.

Whoa, interesting. Any news about when the Quarq Mercury will be available on s975 cranks? I wouldn't mind paying a bit more for the new features (OmniCal mostly), but I find the requirement to buy the Yaw FD and the 2012 shifters a ripoff.

Caley at Velonews says that the yaw rings with old shifters/FD still are better than the older rings.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/03/ ... ity_209270

Go for the Mercury!

Roark

by Roark

By the way, I am 1.87 m (6'2'') and if I recall correctly, my current cranks are 175mm. Should I go for the same size or can I go safely to 177.5 mm? Will my knees suffer because of this change?

drmutley

by drmutley

Why do u want to go 177.5?

Roark

by Roark

drmutley wrote:Why do u want to go 177.5?

Well, traditionally people used longer cranks for taller people... I've read a couple of articles saying that this no longer holds, I didn't know that...

Is anyone running SRAM S975 cranks with SRAM Red chainrings with Di2 FD? Should it work? Flawlessly?

I have already discarded buying the Mercury spider (with Red 2012 crankset + rings) based largely on price, but if old Red chainrings + S975 cranks work FINE with Di2 I think I won't be able to hold the trigger any longer...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drmutley

by drmutley

Roark wrote:
drmutley wrote:Why do u want to go 177.5?

Well, traditionally people used longer cranks for taller people... I've read a couple of articles saying that this no longer holds, I didn't know that...

Is anyone running SRAM S975 cranks with SRAM Red chainrings with Di2 FD? Should it work? Flawlessly?

I have already discarded buying the Mercury spider (with Red 2012 crankset + rings) based largely on price, but if old Red chainrings + S975 cranks work FINE with Di2 I think I won't be able to hold the trigger any longer...

I use my quarq with red rings and it works fine... I can't compare with the standard 175mm DA crank as I removed it to go back to 172.5s (I'm 186cm)... Up shifts and down shifts are better than mechanical 7900 with the DA crank, but that's obviously due to the Di2

My gut feeling is the DA crank would be better, but front shifting with the SRAM rings is more than fine for me, and I'm fussy as...