Nokon cables; difference between brake and shift cables

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

irongatsby

by irongatsby

When I searched for some Nokon cables online, I saw that Nokon and a few retailers selling cable sets made specifically for shifting/derailleurs and sets made for brake systems. Then, I found other retailers who list them as one cable set for 'road brake or shifting'. Can someone shed some light on this? Aren't brake cables thicker than gear cables? :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hougo/

by hougo/

Yes, cables are différent, but Nokon is the same :wink:
I think the différence it's more for V Brake, for MTB
Nokon is a good gear only if you use the Powercordz liner:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Before, i use the Nokon liner, wich is black, it was a shit, then, with this Powercordz liner, no shift problem and it's verry fluid!

HillRPete

by HillRPete

As far as I'm aware they used to have different offerings, but now they converged the two product lines.

artray

by artray

I use nokon outers and liners with kcnc cables ,superb shifting and braking. Take your time set it up right and it works without any issues.

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

As someone mentioned, they used to have different things in the packaging. For a time, Shimano derailleur kits wouldn't have the flexible noodle thing that the Sram/Campy kits did, but then they opted to converge everything into an all-in-one package. Now they'll come with 2x brake cables, 2x gear cables, and the appropriate inner liners for each. One note about the inner liners is that the derailleur liner seems to be slightly smaller in inner diameter than standard cables, so you have to use the supplied Nokon cables. I recommend not using their derailleur liner and instead using the supplied brake liner for brake and gear cabling, or get the Power Cordz/Jagwireliners that work a lot better.
Last edited by BeeSeeBee on Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

irongatsby

by irongatsby

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Mikmik

by Mikmik

BeeSeeBee wrote: I recommend not using their derailleur liner and instead using the supplied brake liner for brake and gear cabling, or get the Power Cordz/Alligator liners that work a lot better.

So you have tried the Nokon AND the Alligator links and found that the Alligator links offer even less friction?
It's not how much you spend on a bike it's how hard you can ride it.

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

Mikmik wrote:So you have tried the Nokon AND the Alligator links and found that the Alligator links offer even less friction?

Whoops, meant Jagwire, not Alligator. I found them to be better just by virtue of giving the cable a bit more room to move.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mikmik

by Mikmik

BeeSeeBee wrote:
Mikmik wrote:So you have tried the Nokon AND the Alligator links and found that the Alligator links offer even less friction?

Whoops, meant Jagwire, not Alligator. I found them to be better just by virtue of giving the cable a bit more room to move.

I am using Nokon for a difficult TT bike application but the search for the ultimate is never ending :).
It's not how much you spend on a bike it's how hard you can ride it.