Advice on Hollowgram set up

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

quaman26

by quaman26

Ok, after reading tons and tons about the hollowgrams, I finally took the plunge and bought a set of SL's for the new Evo frame I got. Now I would like to get some advice from the experienced people here. What is the best set up I can do to make sure I don't have problems like creaks,etc ? Do I just follow the cannondale manual to the letter ? Do I put blue loctite on the spindle/bearing interface ( won't that give me trouble removing the crank when I need to) ? Really excited to start my build but want to make sure I get it right. Thanks in advance for any inputs.

quaman26

by quaman26

Oh, one more thing. What loctite number is the blue loctite ? Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bura

by bura

quaman26 wrote:Oh, one more thing. What loctite number is the blue loctite ? Thanks.

Loctite 242.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

jdp211

by jdp211

Follow mostly to the letter. I would do green (I believe it's 600 something) on bearings to frame interface and grease bearing to spindle

timzcat

by timzcat

Do not put blue on spindle to bearing interface. As stated, lube the spindle and freeeze it before installing to make installation easier.
And if you have an Evo frame I will assume bearings are already installed so don't need to do anything there. The issues you have read of are for standard BB30 frames more then Pressfit 30.

quaman26

by quaman26

timzcat wrote:Do not put blue on spindle to bearing interface. As stated, lube the spindle and freeeze it before installing to make installation easier.
And if you have an Evo frame I will assume bearings are already installed so don't need to do anything there. The issues you have read of are for standard BB30 frames more then Pressfit 30.

Freeze it as in put it in the freezer ?

Thanks all for the inputs so far.

seandonovan

by seandonovan

quaman26 wrote:Freeze it as in put it in the freezer ?

Yup. It shrinks it ever so slightly, makes it easy to to put into the bearings.

quaman26

by quaman26

seandonovan wrote:
quaman26 wrote:Freeze it as in put it in the freezer ?

Yup. It shrinks it ever so slightly, makes it easy to to put into the bearings.

Ahhh cool. Thanks so much

eric

by eric

Loctite 242 is a thread locker. If you need to fix a loose press fit then you need the correct Loctite compound such as 642.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

loctite 609 is what is commonly recommended, and it's what cannondale suggests- for loose fits on pf30 cups or between the bearing and frame on standard bb30. i use it on the spider-to-arm spline shape as well. i actually prefer 603, but if it's green, and it starts with a "6", youre in the right area.

quaman26

by quaman26

How do I check if the PF30 bb is slipping without riding it ? I pressed in the PF30 BB myself but I didn't put any loctite between the bearing to BB shell interface. Now I am wondering if I need to take them out again and put loctite 609 on and re-press.

thanks

timzcat

by timzcat

If they pressed nice and tight then you are fine. The loctite is for instances where the shell is poorly sized and the pressfit shell presses to easily.

ms6073

by ms6073

quaman26 wrote:How do I check if the PF30 bb is slipping without riding it ? I pressed in the PF30 BB myself but I didn't put any loctite between the bearing to BB shell interface.
I know that Cannondale recommends Loctite 609 tp bond in the BB30 threaded adapters as well as for its alloy SRM PF30 bb assembly, but will Loctite 609 or similar retaining fluids do much good with standard PF30 bb (SRAM, FSA) which use delrin plastic shells?
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

yes, if a loctite primer is used. 603 technically doesnt require a primer, but i use it anyway