Antibiotics and Recovery

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

KWalker

by KWalker

I've heard that antibiotics kill recovery, but I have never found any information that supports this save for a few extreme meds that kill tons of stomach bacteria etc. I have a rolling prescription for Bactrin to cure my quarterly sinus infections so I wonder if this has ever really impaired my recovery like some suggest.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

geraldatwork

by geraldatwork

I have found when I am on antibiotics my riding often suffers. Not scientific and not that many opportunities (fortunately) but what usually happens I will be on a ride and just not feel that strong that day. After the ride I try to figure out why and then it dawns on me I have been taking the medication.
"Really fast people are frustrating, but they make you faster. When you get faster, you might frustrate someone else."

2009 Trek Madone 5.5 Project One SRAM Force 16.4 lbs w/pedals and cages.
2007 Bianchi 928 Carbon Lugged- SRAM Rival-17 lbs.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

That is strange KWalker. Are you sure you are taking Bactrin as opposed to Bactrim? The latter is a sulpha drug, prescribed quite a bit - I always thought it was on the lighter end of the antibiotic spectrum.

FWIW, I have just finished a one week cycle on amoxicillin following some dental work. Performance on the bike did not seem to suffer, although I ended up riding less because I was completely tired (I ride at 5:30 AM). I simply could not wake up regularly...
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Powerful Pete wrote:FWIW, I have just finished a one week cycle on amoxicillin following some dental work. Performance on the bike did not seem to suffer, although I ended up riding less because I was completely tired (I ride at 5:30 AM). I simply could not wake up regularly...

I've been using amoxicillin too recently and i found that i suffered at sustained TT type efforts- couldn't hold HR i am used too...
Official cafe stop tester

spacepolice2

by spacepolice2

Um, guys, surely your performance has tailed off because you have an infection? Blaming it on the antibiotic doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, when the underlying infection is a much more likely cause!

MrRedRaider

by MrRedRaider

Do you also take steriods for the infection? Last time I had a sinus infection in Feb. I took steriods only instead of both those and antibiotics. The steriods wiped it out in around 24hrs. My friend also does the same and says antibiotics dont do anything for his sinuses. Just my 2¢.

artray

by artray

I have taken antibiotics for a gum infection, very minor infection. I found I was struggling for a week or two.
I then had to take some a few years ago for another issue and never had any effects . I try to avoid them .

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

I had to take a steroid for my sinuses, and it's a regular seasonal thing that happens for me. I'm usually good for the season after the initial infection goes away. My performance usually does suffer, but I'm sure it's from my infection rather than the antibiotics. The only thing that the antibiotics do to me is cause a little but of a twisting sensation in my stomach if empty.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dierix

by dierix

depends on spectrum of your antibiotics and mode of action. stuff like amoxicillin won't do much good for your recovery