High end road bike rentals

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

hungryalex

by hungryalex

Sorry if this topic needs to be moved...

I'm from the states and have and will be spending a significant amount of time in the UK, mainly London. My extended timeline looks to be about 2-3 months this summer. Starting in may for a project. Unfortunately I can't transport my bike with me as i'm a filmmaker and already have multiple enormous cases. I was just wondering if anyone knew of a shop that rented something a little nicer than the run of the mil bike shop with the massive riser stems and 9 speed sora. Nothing to fancy just a mid range race bike?

My apartment is in Southfields if this narrows it down a bit. I can probably manage to bring my pedals and shoes.

Thanks for the help!
Team Hungry Cycling - http://www.racehungry.com

stuartrc

by stuartrc

I can't think of any shops in SW london that do top level rentals however a couple of the amateur triathletes at work use these guys.

http://www.totally-timetrial.co.uk/road-bike-hire

the price is extortionate though IMO. You could probably Fedex you bike both ways for a couple of weeks rental...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

^^^this

hire for 2-3 months is likely to be expensive

if you don't want to ship your bike over, buy one in uk then ebay it when you are done with it (easier if you know someone local who could store it until sold)

if you fly virgin atlantic, they take bikes free i think, nice airline too

hungryalex

by hungryalex

Thanks for the link! I was just hoping to rent once or twice a week for nice rides.
Team Hungry Cycling - http://www.racehungry.com

bontie

by bontie

hungryalex wrote:Thanks for the link! I was just hoping to rent once or twice a week for nice rides.

Hi HungryAlex, I am based in SW London.
What size bike do you need? Maybe I can work something out for you?

i.e. a spare bike or so?

Cheers,

Bontie

Roobay

by Roobay

Id buy a S/H bike over here then sell it when you leave, quite frankly no shops do hi-end rentals, too risky for them :cry:
i like people... i just can't stand assholes

carbon2329

by carbon2329

You could mail it to yourself (in London) or an lbs (in London) then mail it back to youself (in the states) or your lbs (in the states) when you are done.

I image the cost would be less than renting 2-3 times a week for 2-3 months.

Just a thought. (seems like a simple solution if you can't take it on the plane)

Sounds like a fun trip. :D

dj97223

by dj97223

Hi,

Can you recommend a bike rental shop near Bonnieux, Provence? I'm looking for a good road bike to ride up Ventoux, etc. in early July.

Thanks. :beerchug:
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

vfr700

by vfr700

There are a couple in Bedoin, I used France Bike rentals: http://www.francebikerentals.com. They are in Bedoin at the base of Ventoux, reasonable rates, good equipment.

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

I rented a bike for my girlfriend in that shop in Bedoin. Good service, friendly people.
I rode in and around Bonnieux but I don't think I saw any bike rental shops there.
There's another one with good rental bikes in Carpentras (i was there too but i forgot the shop's name).

Here's a list
http://www.beyond.fr/sports/veloshops84.html

bigpun

by bigpun

Can anybody recommend a shop that rents decent higher road bikes in Seattle? I will be staying downtown so the closer to downtown the better. Thanks for the help! Looking forward to hitting the roads out there. :beerchug:

Bondurant

by Bondurant

I've rented from Montlake and Kirkland bike shops in the recent past (same company, different sides of Lake Washington). There's great riding in Seattle, especially with a guide. Still want to give Cougar Mountain a go (ran out of time before I had to catch a plane first time, scared off by a local the second)...

I wouldn't say the bikes they rent are high end, but they are better than OK. Giants and Cannondales mostly I think.

kac

by kac

Can't comment on rentals although I've been in the area intermittently since 1982. However, the riding is orders of magnitude better near Bellingham (compared to Seattle) and it's only 90 miles away! If you visit Seattle, you owe it to yourself to ride here.

KAC

bigpun

by bigpun

Thanks for the reply's. I will check those shops out.

kac

by kac

You might try Sammish Cycles. They sell very high-end stuff but I don't know if they rent. Gregg's Greenlake rents (I think) and their equipment covers a wide range.

Good luck!

KAC

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com