graeme obree tip saddle behind bottom bracket

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

chippan

by chippan

I have gained access to graeme obrees training manual (the obree way), in this book he explains about pedalling, and in this chapter on page 90 he explains how his saddle tip is 10 cm behind the bottom bracket, am lost on this as thought he always advocated more forward position on the bike.

so my question is how far behind bottom bracket is your saddle tip, i can only get mine 5cm behind with seat fully back am i to far forward, am 5ft 7in tall with inseam of about 30.5 inches and femur slightly longer than tibla.

also is further back postion better.

i must admit i always prefferd postion further back or as far back possibe never liked being forward.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Personally I like the approach Steve Hogg is describing here http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/blo ... oad-bikes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (and together with flexibility exercises and lots of riding in the drops it allowed me to achieve a more powerful and aerodynamic position)

Edit: The "saddle behind BB" value doesn't say much, because there are many ways to sit on a saddle, easily a range of 10cm I'd recon.
Last edited by HillRPete on Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fa63

by fa63

Mine is 10.5 cm behind the BB. I am 6' tall with long femurs.

dummey

by dummey

fa63 wrote:Mine is 10.5 cm behind the BB. I am 6' tall with long femurs.

Likewise, I am 6' tall with short legs and a short femur to shin ration and thus have mine roughly 3cm behind BB. The tip of my saddle is actually almost directly over the BB, but the Sella SMP has a front section that really isn't meant to be sat on.

me

by me

If you ride UCI sanctioned races the minimum is 5cm,

Regarding Obree, I thought he was a forward man as well as he resorted to cutting the nose off his saddle to get further forward

WinSuits

by WinSuits

wassertreter wrote:Personally I like the approach Steve Hogg is describing here http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/blo ... oad-bikes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (and together with flexibility exercises and lots of riding in the drops it allowed me to achieve a more powerful and aerodynamic position)

Edit: The "saddle behind BB" value doesn't say much, because there are many ways to sit on a saddle, easily a range of 10cm I'd recon.

I've found that my cadence is smoother when I move the saddle forward so that the tip of my saddle is about 3mm behind the BB.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com