Air filled camelback for time trials.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Kasparz

by Kasparz

Hello there!

I've been wondering about few pros using air filled camelbacks. Most of them are skinny men with flat backs. I was guessing skinnier men have relatively bigger head proportions to body thats why using camelbacks can improve aerodynamics. I'm a skinny men, Wiggins proportions really and looking to improve aerodynamics.

What's your guess?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheRookie

by TheRookie

This is weight weenies, use Helium!

Otherwise no idea!
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Kasparz wrote:I'm a skinny men, [...] and looking to improve aerodynamics.

If you do it without a means of verifying that it actually improves things (wind tunnel), chances are that you end up doing it in a way that increases drag.

Generally I thought being skinny would be advantageous to aerodynamics?

stevem

by stevem

If you look at pictures of Matt Bottrill in the Nat UK 25 TT he was wearing a camel bak on the front , was it air filled I do not know but strange for a 25 mile TT.
soulmates never die

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Haven't the UCI banned the wearing of Camelbaks in the front? And they have to have water in therm or something otherwise it counts as an illegal fairing from memory

Kasparz

by Kasparz

Yes, at the front camelbacks are banned, but not at the back. I have a gap between my neck and helmet, just like Andy have here.

http://www.centralsportsnews.com/wp-con ... 202009.jpg

jo.k

by jo.k

Pull the helmet back a bit, then ...

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Kasparz, interestingly Wiggins and others have started to use stubby tail helmets, so that gap might not be a problem really?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

woz9683

by woz9683

They're using the stub-tailed helmets so that when they put their head completely down between their arms or glance down they don't have a big tail sticking up into the air. Keeping your head completely down with a stub-tail helmet lowers frontal area, but if you're going to keep your head up a long-tailed helmet should be more aero (just don't glance down with your whole head, only move your eyes).

As for camelbaks (camelfronts?), when your chest/abdomen is very flat it catches a lot of wind, rounding the surface with the camelbak helps redirect the air around the body.