Conti Podium TT 22mm a good spare tub?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

HillRPete

by HillRPete

I'm taking a plunge into tubs with Conti Comps (22mm front for a generic carbon rim, 25mm rear on a HED Stinger 6).

My question is about the spare tub, does the Conti Podium TT 22mm fold up nicely? I don't want to take a narrower spare, for the wide HED rim mandates 23mm and up.

drchull

by drchull

Realistically it doesn't matter for a spare. You are not going to be ripping around corners on the spare. Personally I would probably keep a 23 as I don't think it will make much difference on size in bag or strapped to seat as much for warranty as anything as I suppose they could tell you that it wasn't an appropriate tire for the wide rim.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Arky

by Arky

So does the podium folks up nicely? If not, what are inexpensive options that do?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

One of the cheapest options is the conti giro but it does not fold up that well. The ride is O.K but as a spare the ride is better than a flat tub.

roselend
Shop Wrench

by roselend

Tufo S3 Lite, 21 mm, 215g. Yes, they ride like crap but they sure fold up nicely.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

The reason I'm asking for the Podium TT is because it's said to have fair puncture protection. If it just folds down a little better than the 22mm Comps I'm a happy camper. Price is not a huge concern as I'll probably not rip the spare apart on a weekly basis.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

I got one to find out for myself. If you tie it down a bit more tightly than in the pic here, it should just about fit the jersey pocket. Will get the Tufo too, though, as that should nicely fit the tool bideon.

Attachments
DSC_0265-small.JPG

HillRPete

by HillRPete

For the record, I also got the Tufo S3 lite 19mm as a spare. They fit into the tool bottle with a cartridge and a multi tool -- perfect.

Dammit

by Dammit

Hmm, you may have inspired me to try to get this a bit smaller:

It's pre-glued, so I've tried to fold it up without pressing two glued surfaces together.

It does fit into a central jersey pocket with my pump and some tools that said.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

One thing to think about with a spare is whether it will reliably get you home. If the spare is extremely puncture prone, then folding up to a compact size and being light can be outweighed by flatting your spare.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

If the tool bottle opened like a case, rather than having a screw-on cap, a bigger tub would fit. Got to attempt a DIY/mod at some point.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Fold it like this and it'll go in a jersey pocket - that's a 22c Schwalbe Milano which is a butyl tube and not particularly light (and I've since folded another one of these even smaller).

I keep meaning to get a 'get me home' 19c lightweight tub - folded the same way I reckon I could get one small enough to be barely noticeable in a jersey pocket, even with a can of Vittoria Pitstop (which is mostly useless, but does avoid riding home on a completely flat tyre) next to it.

Dammit

by Dammit

Even though my tub is pre-glued?

I didn't want it to stick to itself, hence my (huge, messy) method of folding it.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

The glue dries - it's contact adhesive so it won't stick until it comes into contact with your glued rim.

Dammit

by Dammit

Do you take a small tube of glue with you when on a ride, or put the spare tub on the rim dry counting on the existing glue from the tub you've stripped off?

I followed your guide- much, much better.

Before:

After:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com