Scott Scale 20 2011 Tuning

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

CeCa

by CeCa

Hello i am 70 kg xco mtb racer from Europe. so ... how to tune Scale 20 with out spending money (ok, 300 euro is max) and which components should have replaced to get weight down . Should i go 1x10 ? how much weight i lose with it ? budget is very low -.-

:oops:

Drivetrain/Brakes
Shimano XT / Avid Elixir R Carbon
Frame
Scale Carbon IMP3 technology HMF net / Tapered HT / SDS shock damping system
Fork
FOX 32 F100RL, Air spring rebound adj./ Remote Lockout left tapered 100mm travel
Other information
• Frame: Scale Carbon IMP3 / HMF net / Tapered HT / SDS shock damping system
• Fork: Fox 32 F100RL / Air spring reb. Adj / remote Lockout left Tapered / 100 mm travel
• Front Derailleur: Shimano XT FD-M771-10 / 34.9mm
• Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT RD-M773 SGS
• Shifters: Shimano XT SL-M770-10 Rapidfire Plus / 2 way release w/gear indicator
• Crankset: Shimano XT FC-M770-10 hollowtech 2 42x32x24T
• Brakes: Avid Elixir R Carbon 160/F and 160/R mm Rotor
• Brake Levers: Avid Elixir R Carbon
• WheelSet/Rims: DT Swiss XR20 Disc 28H / Tubeless ready ( I have Mavic Crossmax Slr already, but 2008 )
• Hubs: DT Swiss XR20 Disc IT / RWS QRDT Swiss XR20 Disc IT / RWS QR ( I have Mavic Crossmax Slr already,but 2008 )
• Spokes: DT Swiss Super Comp black ( I have Mavic Crossmax Slr already, but 2008 )
• Cassette: Shimano XT CS-M771-10 11-36 T
• Handlebar: Scott Hot Rod OS 31.8mm Scott lockon grips
• Handlebar Stem: Scott Pro 4 Bolt / OS 31.8mm
• Headset: Ritchey Pro Tapered
• Pedals: Time ATAC XS
• Tyres: Furious Fred tubeless 2,0 in front and 2,2 back
• Saddle: Selle Italy SLR Team Edition / Vanox
• Seat Post: Scott RC 03-60 / 34.9mm
• Bottom Bracket: Shimano SM-BB71-41A / shell 41x89.5mm
• Chain: Shimano CN-HG74

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

devinci

by devinci

I dont know the weight of your stem/bar/post but I guess you could save a bit there with a KCNC post stem and bar. Changing the lockon grips to something foam or silicon would also save weight for little money.

KCNC stuff is cheap, well made, and light

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I would save a bit of money and get a nice and light wheelset. Stan's something.

JkAlentejano

by JkAlentejano

Well scott stuff weights a ton so you can change the handlebars and setpost for kcnc stuff that is not expensive and it's light, the stem you can go much cheaper with a UNO steam from ebay, i'ts more pretty and with titanium screws is practicaly the same weight. On the rotors you can save a nice chunk too, go kcnc or the new Ashima is they are good enough, after that you can go normal tires instead of tubeless, but that's a preference, and for last is to save money for a nice custom wheelset with stans rims.

Ps: first thing is to change those grips, i recomend the scott foam ones.

CeCa

by CeCa

Bar should be with 9 (6 is good to) backsweep and 580mm atleast . i dont like flatbar :(

I have 3T arx stem, is this enough light or i should buy Uno stem ? :P

1x10 setup is good idea or not ? 36x11-36 or even 40 if XT rear dearailleur can handle that?

JkAlentejano

by JkAlentejano

The stem it depends on what you want to acheive, but bare in mind that one gram here, one there, make a lot of grams at the end...
It's not wise to change to 1x10 or 2x10 just to save weight, you do it because of chain angles and smaller big rings that alow you to stay on it for longer and have a better performance.

CeCa

by CeCa

Okay i will stay with 3X10 for marathons :D

but anyone know scale 20 2011 handlebar weight ?

Gregorio

by Gregorio

Handlebar 282g, seatpost is 298g, can't remember what saddle and stem weighed. Mine are 2012 but I am pretty sure same stuff.
I got a ritchey wcs seatpost and stem and an easton sl low rise bar. Put a zoncolan saddle on. Saved about 400g.

CeCa

by CeCa

my kitchen scale is broken -.- but BAR is really heavy -.- damn i need to change it... and saddle weights 180 i think its ok right now :D i hope someone know weight of stem :)

Colin

by Colin

I have that stem in 100mm on my CX bike, IIRC it was a tad over 150g. That's one of the last thing I would switch, not going to save much weight there.

stevec1975

by stevec1975

Not wanting to takeover this thread, but I have a Scale 30 from the same year which I replaced most bits on, the weights will be the same.

Buildlist:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JkAlentejano

by JkAlentejano

Nice Build Steve, but you let the most important thing for last, the wheels, throw some stans into that, change the supension and you'll have a really great bike. Checking your spreadsheet i noticed you have rim strips and tape, you only need to use the strips, but to save more weight Stans yellow tape is 13g for both wheels, saving you 135g with 10 bucks! ;)