Headset problem Look Hsc 5 Sl

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

modebo

by modebo

Hello everybody, i have question. I'm starting a new build with a Scott frame and a Look HSC5 SL fork. I have a semi-headset but when i try to install it there is a gap above the crown (see foto). Is this normal or not and if so is it a problem besides how weird it looks.....

Thanks!
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
Klein q-pro xx
Colnago Master Olympic 1996
Scott Cr1 Team 2004 custom
Litespeed Vortex 2000

maxxevv

by maxxevv

modebo wrote:Hello everybody, i have question. I'm starting a new build with a Scott frame and a Look HSC5 SL fork. I have a semi-headset but when i try to install it there is a gap above the crown (see foto). Is this normal or not and if so is it a problem besides how weird it looks.....

Thanks!

The HSC-5SL is designed for an "integrated 1 1/8" " head set. Not a 'zerostack' though. That's most probably the problem. I've had that fork before on my Look 585.

The diagrams from Canecreek on the various standards may help explain better:

http://www.canecreek.com/manuals/Headse ... ev%20E.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.canecreek.com/manuals/Headse ... ev%20E.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Special note on PAGE 12 on the integrated crown race as similar to that of the HSC-5SL fork here:

http://www.canecreek.com/manuals/Headse ... nGuide.pdf

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

modebo

by modebo

Oke thanks for the info! Do i solve this by buying a diffrent headset or is a diffrent lower bearing oke? And if so were is it that i can buy one and should it be the 45*/36*?
Klein q-pro xx
Litespeed Vortex 2000

ave

by ave

That's not the right bearing. It should sit much lower.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

The bearing should have laser engravings on it. The correct one for the fork should have "36x45" on it. I would think yours is a "45x45" bearing.

However, as far as I recall, the Scott frame uses a zerostack hiddenset, so I'm not sure if such a bearing suitable for the headset exists ? :noidea:

Edit: As pointed out below, the bearing designations should be the other way around. 45x45 rather for the fork to fit.
Last edited by maxxevv on Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

modebo

by modebo

Oke, thanks i Will look it up. I know it's possible cause i see a lot off cr1 with the hsc5 sl fork in it in the net. Just need to figure it out..... Someone here schold know a solution.
Klein q-pro xx
Litespeed Vortex 2000

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

the bearings of all zerostack headsets ive ever seen were 36x45. it appears the look takes a 45x45, as that alone would make the crown sit a lot deeper into the bearing. ive seen plenty of "hybrid" bearings, ones that are 41.8mm like campy but have a very shallow compression ring seat like I.S.. ive never seen one the other way around, though.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

thisisatest wrote:the bearings of all zerostack headsets ive ever seen were 36x45. it appears the look takes a 45x45, as that alone would make the crown sit a lot deeper into the bearing. ive seen plenty of "hybrid" bearings, ones that are 41.8mm like campy but have a very shallow compression ring seat like I.S.. ive never seen one the other way around, though.

Yes indeed ... you're correct. The Zerostacks seem to come with 36x45. So, if that's the case, the HSC%-SL fork should need a 45x45 bearing instead. (guess I remembered it wrongly with some other frame... )

The interchangeability of these bearings for fitting onto the Zerostack is something I've not tried. So no idea if they are there ...

peruffo

by peruffo

Partly to solve this problem some headset manufacturers make deeper cups for the bottom. I identified 3 "cup depth" from FSA, Cane Creek, no-name both in steel and aluminum. In this case, when assembling the bike, all I would do is exchange the bottom cup for a deeper one which provides an aestetically pleasing small gap.

modebo

by modebo

Thanks peruffo came to the same conclusion last night. First i thought just change the bearing but they are not the same size. I think i am going for the hybrid version keep the top half of my own headset. Now i just need to find were i can get the bottom half of a headset with a deeper cup.
Klein q-pro xx
Litespeed Vortex 2000

peruffo

by peruffo

You only need a deeper cup, maybe from LBS's wastebin. I take the cups out of all damaged/discarded frames so I can play aroud with cup sizes. You need 36/45 bearings, and matching lower cone and top shim/aligner/cap.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com