trek 5500 with internal gears budgetbuild

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

denbuffel

by denbuffel

Hi

My father recently had an accident with his old trek 5500. It's this type of frame "picture of the internet"

And I'm going to have it repaired, So I can build it up as a commuter.
It will get sanded nude, and then some ghost decals on it + clearcoat.

I'm thinking of getting myself some internal gears: more specificaly the shimano alfine ones.

But here's 1 Issue, the bike might get used during bad weather rides in the winter aswell.
Which gives me problem 1: a) choose for alfine 8 speed, and get some old 8 speed shifters.
b) choose for alfine 11 speed, with the plain triggers and use a straight mtb bar instead of road handlebar.

If I stick to plan B) this will be the build

- frame 5500sl 2001
- shimano alfine 11 speed black
- ritchey wcs shiny black components
- these rims "black, removed decals", silver dt swiss competition spokes, silver brass nipples.
http://www.rose.nl/artikel/xtreme-racev ... aid:333724" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- front dynamo hub, which one? what hub offers the highest price/ratio?
I'm thinking of this one, but I don't know for sure yet. I don't wan't the hub to slow me down!! :mrgreen:
http://www.rose.nl/artikel/shimano-naaf ... aid:515907
- what do you suggest for light?
- what saddle is usefull for a commuter? never build one before so I really don't know.

Please bear in mind that it's a budgetbuild, so every suggestion should have the highest price/ratio.
Any other suggestions for the dynamo, rims, ... are always welcome.

Thanks for the help

denbuffel

by denbuffel

and what cranks can I use?
I prefere black colored ones.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tochnics

by tochnics

make sure a gearhub will fit the 130mm spacing
above that you would need a chain tensioner ( suchs as alfine provides)
a cheap derailleur system would be much easyer
Join the light side

a light bike does make you go faster unless you are slow

maxxevv

by maxxevv

The problem is the hub spacing. As for shifters, as a set you can get drop bar shifters from Dynamic . A company based in Taiwan. They have them made from customised Microshift shifters for both 8 and 11 speed Alfine.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

maxxevv wrote:The problem is the hub spacing. As for shifters, as a set you can get drop bar shifters from Dynamic . A company based in Taiwan. They have them made from customised Microshift shifters for both 8 and 11 speed Alfine.

Not to mention the actual dropouts need to be compatible with the hub, which regular vertical ones are unlikely to be. Alfine uses a pair of non-turn washers which keep the axle located, so need a deeper space.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

ultimobici wrote:
maxxevv wrote:The problem is the hub spacing. As for shifters, as a set you can get drop bar shifters from Dynamic . A company based in Taiwan. They have them made from customised Microshift shifters for both 8 and 11 speed Alfine.

Not to mention the actual dropouts need to be compatible with the hub, which regular vertical ones are unlikely to be. Alfine uses a pair of non-turn washers which keep the axle located, so need a deeper space.

That is possible. Depending on the actual dropout of the bike. Some have sufficient material to allow for some bit of filing to accommodate it. Some don't.

Apparently, there are people (someone rather ) who have modified their Alfine-8 into 130mm spacing. So maybe its possible with the Alfine-11 too. :noidea:

Doolop

by Doolop

Why put so much time and effort into a frame that will ride poorly compared to what else is on the market today?

denbuffel

by denbuffel

Doolop wrote:Why put so much time and effort into a frame that will ride poorly compared to what else is on the market today?

Because this frame looks stunning when you remove the paint, you can check some example's on the introduce yourself gallery.
+ I always liked the ride quality of this frame, for being an old frame it still rides amazing.

+ It's a 60 € frame for me, because I only have to pay the repaircost ...

It's possible to change the alfine hub to 130mm, i've seen someone do it before.
The reason why I think of getting an alfine is the durability, the bike will be build as an all-day bike.
And I don't like cleaning all-day bikes :mrgreen: , making sure that my road bike is clean all the time is enough for me :oops:

perhaps there are some other durability friendly way's to build this frame up?

denbuffel

by denbuffel

How is the durability of shimano alivio and acera 9 speed?

denbuffel

by denbuffel

not on a student budget build :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com