Storck Scenario 1.0

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

sjc166

by sjc166

Having completed my Canyon Aeroad a few months ago i need another project, albeit a different type from my Canyon. Not setting out to be a complete WW but i want to keep weight under 7kg.
I found this Storck Scenario 1.0 online at a German bike store that was having a massive sale...the price was too good not to get it (tried to convince my wife i am making money by getting it).
Didn't know much about these particular frames but after a bit of google-ing i feel like i have made a good buy.

I have some Reynolds Attack R2 32 Carbon Clincher's on the way. The thing i am really wrestling with is the groupset. I am leaning toward Dura Ace but i would really the Dura Ace Di2. But the price is a bit too crazy. Remember when 42 inch plasma's first came out and they retailed for $20K? And now they are around $1500...well i am hoping that soon the Di2 prices will drop with better competition from other brands. Is the Di2 system worth an extra €1000 over the normal Dura Ace setup?? Opinions welcomed

Here a few photos
Frame and fork-1718g.
DSC01252 by sjc166, on Flickr
[url=http://www.flickr.com/people/teddyandgrace/Image[/url]
DSC01254 by sjc166, on Flickr
DSC01257 by sjc166, on Flickr
DSC01258 by sjc166, on Flickr
DSC01255 by sjc166, on Flickr
DSC01259 by sjc166, on Flickr

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

That is a really, really sharp looking frame!! I would go with DA mechanical since the frame was made for a mechanical grouppo......plus, I personally don't think that Di2 is worth the premium.

:beerchug:

TOflat

by TOflat

Very nice frameset. Toss on some full white 3T or Ritchey components and make a full black and white build!

jsinclair

by jsinclair

Hold out for Dura-Ace 9000 mechanical. I think it would look great on this frame! The new group has black accents which would match the storck text. Plus, if you believe the reviews, it is miles better than 7900.

record

by record

yeah, I'd get some cheap 105 and ride it until the mechanical 9000 is available
A light bike does replace good fitness.

konky

by konky

jsinclair wrote:Hold out for Dura-Ace 9000 mechanical. I think it would look great on this frame! The new group has black accents which would match the storck text. Plus, if you believe the reviews, it is miles better than 7900.

I think Shimano are really raising their game with the 9000 series. They've played second fiddle to Campagnolo for years in style, weight and function. 9000 may change this. And that's for both mechanical and electronic. I say this as a confirmed Campy man.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Storck seem to be the new Cervelo :lol:

Will be great to see once complete.

Just remember by holding out for 9000 you're potentially up for some new wheels too - unless the Reynolds freebody can be changed. For their top tier I couldn't see an issue (being essentially 240 hubs), not sure about the Attack's though.

sjc166

by sjc166

I read online that the release date for the 9000 is in fall 2012....not sure how accurate that is. Anyone heard different? Not sure i can wait that long...i want to ride this bike asap

jsinclair

by jsinclair

I think it will be worth the wait. The suggestion to get 105 is a good one, then put it on a winter bike because this one is too nice for foul weather duties.

sjc166

by sjc166

jsinclair wrote:I think it will be worth the wait. The suggestion to get 105 is a good one, then put it on a winter bike because this one is too nice for foul weather duties.

Mate, I live in The Netherlands....weather is crap 95% of the time :( Hopefully i will be back in Aus early next year :beerchug:

mrfish

by mrfish

Personally I think if you've got a NOS frame a NOS or lightly used 7900 groupset would be great. Or any of the Campag groups from Chorus up.

Previous posters need to stop drinking marketing kool aid. 7900 front shift and brakes are the benchmarks the others are measured by, rear shift and cassette is as as good if not better than red, shifter ergonomics and weight are a little bit behind the others. Is it worth paying double to get a spanking new 9000 groupset? If you had just bought the latest übermachine, then perhaps, but on this frame and given the desire to keep the budget in check absolutely not.

105 is functionally fine, but it will irritate you after a month because it's not top end stuff, and isn't in the same league as the rest of the bike.

jsinclair

by jsinclair

Thats cool. Its your frame, do what pleases you. I just felt that paying top dollar for a flagship groupset, that is about to be replaced in both model-year and number of cogs, seems like a poor investment and would hence be harder to justify to the aformentioned wife... The wait wouldnt matter if you have the canyon to ride.

mrfish - No kool aid consumed, just going by the opinions of those who have actually ridden the new group, as opposed to speculating. The consensus seems to be that 9000 is the new standard, and that 7900 is far from perfect.

Discoverspeed

by Discoverspeed

Really beautiful finish on the Storck. :thumbup:

Given that DA 9000 is launching later this year/ early next year, I would wait and use a lower budget group for the next 6 to 9 months. The current 10 spd DA 7900 and Di2 7970 are likely to drop in price when the new group sets are launched respectively - that is if you do not wish to change new wheel set to accommodate the new 11 spd group sets.

I have used both mechanical and electronic group sets and at least for me, the latter is more user friendly. Literally you just fire and forget - tap and you don't have to worry about jamming/ "dud shifts" etc. Automatic micro-truing keeps everything quiet and smooth too.
Current Bikes: S-Works Venge 7.3kg
Storck F.3 5.5kg
Colnago Concept Art Deco CHDK 7/6.5kg
Collection: Team Ti Raleigh 753 Vintage Campy
Ex: Storck F0.6 Di2 6kg, Storck F0.7IS Di2 4.8kg, Storck Aero2 7.04kg Storck Organic Light 11.1kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sjc166

by sjc166

I have gone off the Di2 a little..only because my frame is not setup for the system and I don't want to spoil the looks for of it with external wire running everywhere. I would really like the DA 9000 but that means I will have to change my wheels to make it work (more €€€)....maybe I wait and just get the 7900 on sale closer to the release date of the 9000. It's not the top of the range frame so maybe the 7900 groupset would be more than suitable.