Anyone else been ripped off by a fellow WW?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

User avatar
Roobay
Posts: 1958
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:19 pm
Location: On Pave

by Roobay

rico wrote:It happens. One of the main UK hi fi forums that I frequent recently introduced a new criterion for being allowed into the Classified section - you have to have posted at least 50 times elsewhere, and have had interesting things to say... Roobay probably knows what I mean.


Yes i know exactly what you mean :mrgreen:
there has been a number of people getting taken by posters who just sell stuff on there
and ask people to send money via paypal as a gift, so not to incur any costs.
Thing is you dont have any rights when you do this so paypal cannot help.
It would be good to limit anyone posting a forsale unless they reach a minimum post count or member timed elasped.
i like people... i just can't stand assholes

geraintnorman
Posts: 965
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:46 pm
Location: Swansea, Wales, United Kingdom

by geraintnorman

It's a shame I never got an apology. I don't like being lied to:

he said he posted them several times - lies.

he said he was out of the country - according to his boss another lie.

his girlfirend sold them to someone else - make up your own mind!

Luckily I paid through Paypal and they got my money back after he stopped returning my emails.


Tinea Pedis wrote:Got this from the WW member in question

hi,

I simply screwed up, i double sold them, someone bought them through paypal and I transfered the cash to my bank, then someone turned up at the house from a sale on another forum and my partner sold them to them. when i tried to return the funds it wouldnt work as my bank wasnt authorised on paypal and am having trouble sorting it with them..I felt bad for the guy and dont like messing people about like that.

I have sold loads of stuff through these forums with no troubles and I wont make that mistake again and appologies to all involved and time wasted on my screw up.

appologies.


whilst what has happened is not in the spirit of WW's, at least he was good enough to give an honest recount of what happened from his end.

by Weenie


fat tire
Posts: 354
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:54 pm

by fat tire

Rahman, ww member, just had his way with me. Luckily Paypal is refunding my money. I already let powerful pete know. He claimed to have sent the group. He even went as far as sending 2 fake tracking numbers. Once I starting questioning some of the stuff, he just quit responding. So I went through the whole dispute/claim stuff with paypal. He never responded to any of paypal's questions for him. There of lots of crooks these days. Good luck shopping.

User avatar
53x12
Posts: 3762
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:02 am
Location: On the bike

by 53x12

That is why I will never buy unless they have been a member on here for quite some time with a lot of posts (i.e. an active member). Too bad this community isn't what it was like several years back when you could send a check by mail and not worry about getting the items or send the items first and not worry about getting paid. Probably another reason why many of the old time members never frequent around here as much.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

justkeepedaling
Posts: 1340
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:14 am
Location: by Crystal Springs (Sawyer Creek Trail)

by justkeepedaling

To be honest, I don't really trust people as much as I did a few years back. All things I buy or sell, I only deal in person now. Even then, I have to be super vigilant, as I've been shafted by the whole "owner should know, but doesn't disclose" kind of thing twice. Oh wells.

User avatar
Tumppi
Posts: 345
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:41 am
Location: FINLAND
Contact:

by Tumppi

Warning! WW member xsteel and benwat48 is same "SCAM" seller. He/her is living slovenia/UK/US or even Denmark in same time. Selling items also in pinkbike and troc-velo forum. Email adress very often ending @yahoo.com. Wanted money transfer by western union bank transfer, does not accept Paypal. :smartass:

mjduct
Posts: 662
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:19 pm

by mjduct

Wow when I saw this thread grew to 3 pages, I freaked out a little thinking everyones been scammed on here. good to see it's a few Isolated cases. One idea would be a pinnned thread at the top of the classifieds for "Good Guys" and "Bad Guys" I've seen this in Jeep Forums. Where you make a transaction and you go post in that thread saying "I dealt with XXXX and they were great" or whatever you want... That way when doing business you can search that thread for the people you are dealing with and see how they have behaved in the past.

another thing:

forget paypal!!!

If the seller is stateside use USPS money order (they have international money orders as well but I don't know how much leverage they have in prosecuting mail fraud abroad). The postal service takes mail fraud very seriously, and instead of a virtual shunning on a forum, or loss of their paypal account, they will get prosecuted by the feds. I have a buddy that got scammed out of about $1200 on a forum transaction that he paid for on a USPS money order, and he still gets letters from the USPS Postal Inspection Division with information on the status of the Perps trial, how long his sentence is, etc...

xnavalav8r
Posts: 2643
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:09 pm

by xnavalav8r

I am no longer a huge fan of PayPal. I sold an item to a guy and mistakenly shipped it without a tracking number or delivery confirmation. I didn't think it was necessary. I was wrong. The guy claimed to have never received the item, claimed his money back through PayPal, and then had the balls to list the very same item I sold him, with the photos I sent him, online for sale on another site. It turned out the guy had a long history of such scams and was a renowned online scammer with hundreds of complaints about him on eBay forums and other online selling services. Meanwhile, I am out both the item and the money paid for it.

Fortunately, I have never had a bad experience with a WW member. I think the buyer protection service offered by PayPal is good, but there isn't much protection for sellers... particularly if you make a newbie mistake like I did and don't provide proof of shipment.

But it is an ongoing battle with PayPal. I would rather accept a postal money order.

User avatar
53x12
Posts: 3762
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:02 am
Location: On the bike

by 53x12

^ Scammers like above should be publicly outed.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Donny70
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:12 am

by Donny70

I only pay with money from my credit card through PayPal. That way you can do a card chargeback if PayPal can't sort it out.

User avatar
prendrefeu
Posts: 8579
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:32 pm
Location: Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California
Contact:

by prendrefeu

mjduct wrote:forget paypal!!!

If the seller is stateside use USPS money order (they have international money orders as well but I don't know how much leverage they have in prosecuting mail fraud abroad). The postal service takes mail fraud very seriously, and instead of a virtual shunning on a forum, or loss of their paypal account, they will get prosecuted by the feds. I have a buddy that got scammed out of about $1200 on a forum transaction that he paid for on a USPS money order, and he still gets letters from the USPS Postal Inspection Division with information on the status of the Perps trial, how long his sentence is, etc...


Awesome!!
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

User avatar
kbbpll
Posts: 402
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:56 am

by kbbpll

xnavalav8r wrote:I am no longer a huge fan of PayPal. I sold an item to a guy and mistakenly shipped it without a tracking number or delivery confirmation. I didn't think it was necessary. I was wrong. The guy claimed to have never received the item, claimed his money back through PayPal, and then had the balls to list the very same item I sold him, with the photos I sent him, online for sale on another site. It turned out the guy had a long history of such scams and was a renowned online scammer with hundreds of complaints about him on eBay forums and other online selling services. Meanwhile, I am out both the item and the money paid for it.

Fortunately, I have never had a bad experience with a WW member. I think the buyer protection service offered by PayPal is good, but there isn't much protection for sellers... particularly if you make a newbie mistake like I did and don't provide proof of shipment.

But it is an ongoing battle with PayPal. I would rather accept a postal money order.


xnavalav8r - If you have such evidence, pursue mail fraud. I don't know what country you're in, but as noted above, in the US this is taken seriously. I know it's a lot of hassle but I'd be cheering for you. There seems to be a culture out there that thinks the internet means free money from suckers. Jail time takes a bit of fun out of it.

User avatar
Powerful Pete
Moderator
Posts: 4001
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:22 am
Location: Lima, Peru and occasionally in the Washington DC area.
Contact:

by Powerful Pete

fat tire wrote:Rahman, ww member, just had his way with me. Luckily Paypal is refunding my money. I already let powerful pete know.


For your information, Rahman has been banned permanently from WW.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...pastatrails.blogspot.com
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

xnavalav8r
Posts: 2643
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:09 pm

by xnavalav8r

kbbpll wrote:
xnavalav8r - If you have such evidence, pursue mail fraud. I don't know what country you're in, but as noted above, in the US this is taken seriously. I know it's a lot of hassle but I'd be cheering for you. There seems to be a culture out there that thinks the internet means free money from suckers. Jail time takes a bit of fun out of it.


I am in the U.S. I reported the problem to both Postal Investigators and the FBI along with what evidence I had. It turned out, the person/business was a front buying large quantities of merchandise online (mostly through ebay) and reselling them illegally through a website in Korea. Supposedly, the items were being illegally sold in North Korea or the money generated was ending up there, but I don't know how true that is. All I got from both organisations was a, "thank you for the information."

hendriksend
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:19 pm

by hendriksend

Recently I try to do business with a forum member but when I started to talk about only paypal transactions: no communication whatsoever....
He's still very active on the sales part of the forum. So what about putting comments on his account......

Made some great deals in the past with several honest and great WW...

by Weenie


Post Reply