58mm/94mm bcd cranks?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

redliner

by redliner

Who makes them? Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

timbat

by timbat

Race Face (eg Turbine LP CD), FRM, Tune .....

lalahsghost

by lalahsghost

Six years later and things have changed. I'm finding antiquated items, but the only newer thing I see with a 58/94 is the Surly Mr. Whirly. What other new 58/94 bcd's are out there?

What are people's opinions on the Middleburn RS8's?

skyfire1202

by skyfire1202

Storck Powerarms made by THM... still one of the lightest cranks out there with a light BB.

jooo

by jooo

@skyfire1202 - Not exactly the easiest to find now but a good option.

@lalahsghost - I assume you want to do 40/30/20 chain rings or something similar? This is still possible with 104/64. There are quite a few 20 tooth chain rings available and http://andersenmachine.wordpress.com/product-info/ make a 30 tooth middle ring that can be used with their 40 tooth outer or any other with spacers. Extralite's 30 tooth ring is meant for doubles only.

Another option if you really want that BCD is a custom spider for something like a SRAM/Truvativ crankset. The same could be said for any other with a removable spider like Specialized/Lightning, Cannondale, White Ind, FSA. Lightning and Cannondale have 94mm BCD double spiders already and maybe if you're handy these could be modified to take a granny ring? Someone like Mattias could almost certainly make a spider from scratch for you - this is a 110/74 to suit Cannondale spline:

skyfire1202

by skyfire1202

... I have three sets. :mrgreen:

lalahsghost

by lalahsghost

Oh, interesting. I have had much personal success with reducing chainring sizes on my road cranks, and switching to smaller, tighter cassettes, and now that my MTB crank (three or four years old) is starting to show its age, I'm tempted to go a 20/30(?32?) and just do a 12-32 10-spd cassette on the rear!

I've seen a couple people talk about 20t Ti chainrings from Boone, but it seems the business is thriving, but quite behind right now. (same with homebrewedcomponents right now also. :sigh:)

WV 29'er hardtail riding, and I'm often charting unknown lands, or abandoned lumber roads/etc so sustained crazy climbs aren't uncommon.

P.S. Thanks for the info. I tried lurking around and utilizing the search buttons, but sometimes you don't know where to start :thumbup:

skyfire1202

by skyfire1202

If for a 58 BCD, I think Tune also made 20T Ti chain rings called Triebtreter. I know I have one, but I'm not sure if I sold it already since I didn't use it much and converted to 2x9 with 42/29. Or Maybe it was a 22T, can't remember. Here are some links to shops that sell them:

http://www.poshbikes.com/product.php?id=10

http://www.bike-components.de/products/language/en/info/p142_Kettenblatt-Triebtreter-Titan-Compact--5-Arm--58mm-Lochkreis-.html

or you can have Mattias custom-make one for you and have him make the Ti 30T as well.

jooo

by jooo

Carbon-Ti do 20 tooth chainrings to suit both 64mm BCD and 58mm BCD cranks. Also a 29 tooth 94mm BCD middle ring as well.

Oh and lucky you skyfire1202 on the Power Arms. Did you pick them up recently or have you just got the sets over the years? What BCD(s) are your sets?

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

lalahsghost

by lalahsghost

I've found a nifty Sugino Square Taper (yes, I know... not WW at all unless Ti) 58/94 crankset, 20/32/42. Grad school and underemployment leaves me scrounging to keep up with my hobbies. :roll: #needvsdesire

I'm placing them on my '09 GF Cobia, which isn't known to be anywhere WW, but it was my first real mountainbike~ Can anyone beat a crank arm set with rings for less than $80 USD?

jooo

by jooo

Which model? If the Sugino arms are some reasonable cold forged model like their XD 110/74mm cranks, they are likely to weigh about 500 grams for the bare pair. So with a set of reasonable rings, Al/Ti bolts and maybe a Ti BB if you can afford it, they'll be ok weight for fairly good money. The good thing about square taper is that in the short term, you can buy a cheapy Shimano BB and still have a perfectly functioning set of cranks for very little money, then upgrade to Ti if you feel the urge.

Fairly often you can also find older/lower end Coda stuff on Ebay for ok money. Most of that was 94mm double or 94/58mm triple. For the older/lower end stuff, it was usually Octalink or square taper BB.

lalahsghost

by lalahsghost

Well, as of now, I'm looking at a Sugino Impel driveside crank arm (94/58 5-bolt 42/30/20), and a Sugino Mighty 350X (?110/58? 4-bolt 32/20)

I've seen a couple people talk about 20t Ti chainrings from Boone, but it seems the business is thriving, but quite behind right now. (same with homebrewedcomponents right now also. :sigh:)

Yah, I ordered something on May 8th with Homebrewedcomponents, and still nothing. He emailed me about a month ago saying one of his CNC machines went down and is busting his ass to get it done. :sigh:
Last edited by lalahsghost on Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

skyfire1202

by skyfire1202

Oh and lucky you skyfire1202 on the Power Arms. Did you pick them up recently or have you just got the sets over the years? What BCD(s) are your sets?

Yeah, I've collected them in 2 years, thinking I'd have a set with training rings, a set for racing, and another for show with Fiberlyte rings. :mrgreen: Instead, I decided to build two other bikes with Claviculas. Not finished yet, but slowly building them with every spare time I can find. All my PowerArms sets have 94/58 BCD and the lightest set didn't have pedal inserts like the Claviculas and weighs 307grams for the pair. This must have been an earlier batch, maybe those with reports having th epedal inserts loosening, but mine are still on tight. :thumbup: I have a special Ti BB that weighs 127 grams for the set inculding crank bolts so the total is lighter than a 3x Clavicula . :wink: I sold the Fiberlyte rings, scared that I might break them, and bought Carbon-Ti rings that I can really use.