Lightweights - Dura Ace 9000 compatible?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tommyb

by tommyb

I've tried looking through the other thread but it's 28 pages long now! :cry:

Anyone know if LW Gen. 3's are able to run 7900 11-speed?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53x12

by 53x12

Is the DA 9000 even out yet?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

sedluk

by sedluk

No one knows, maybe not even Shimano. We won’t know until they are released and the details are decided on.

I have to admit that my first guess would have been they will be compatible. One would assume that they would just use the same hub body and stick one more cog on the cassette like Campy. There was the possibility that the cassette would bend toward the spokes or something but there would most likely be room.

But the latest rumors are that they are truly increasing the size of the hub body. It would be a possibility that DT Swiss could come out with a new hub body. If the rumors are true then this would affect every DT Swiss hub out there including the Lightweight wheels, Reynolds that use DT Swiss, Zipp wheels built with DT Swiss. Every wheel built with DT Swiss. If DT Swiss could come up with a new hub body there still might be an issue with some wheels with the spokes hitting the derailleur.

So back to no one knows.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

If the freehub is longer, wouldn't that mean the wheel would need to be re-dished?
And since existing Lightweights do not have true spokes nor nipples, then if the freehub is longer and re-dishing is required, a new wheel is required.

:noidea:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The new DT swiss hubs (11 speed) have an OLD of 131mm and a longer freehub body.

natiedean24

by natiedean24

prendrefeu wrote:If the freehub is longer, wouldn't that mean the wheel would need to be re-dished?

:noidea:

Not necessarily. Each hub design is unique. Depends on if the current hub design has any margin (leftover space) that can be utilized without moving the right flange inwards.

sedluk

by sedluk

I have seen this stuff about re-dishing the spokes. I can’t see how changing a hub body could ever change the spokes. The spokes are connected to the hub, not the hub body. So as far as I can see you cannot change the placement of the spokes by only changing the hub body. Not on Lightweight wheels or on any wheel.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Since most non-shimano hubs require a spacer to run Shimano 10 (to account for Campy 11 compatibility) then one would surmise that the Shimano 11 freehub would be a direct replacement with no other adjustment necessary.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

sedluk wrote:I have seen this stuff about re-dishing the spokes. I can’t see how changing a hub body could ever change the spokes. The spokes are connected to the hub, not the hub body. So as far as I can see you cannot change the placement of the spokes by only changing the hub body. Not on Lightweight wheels or on any wheel.

You've never taken a wheel with a track/ss/threaded hub originally intended for 120mm and re-dished it to run single speed in a frame with different rear spacing in order to achieve proper chainline? That would be an example.
Ask a wheel builder about re-dishing, you'll learn about it. :D
It isn't very common these days with most SS bikes being 120mm rear spaced running hubs set for 120mm and an increase in common chainlines.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

As long as your wheel is based on the DT240 hub you won't have any problem converting it to 11 speed with a new freehub body and an axle end cap. No re-dishing is needed.

sedluk wrote:No one knows, maybe not even Shimano. We won’t know until they are released and the details are decided on.

I have to admit that my first guess would have been they will be compatible. One would assume that they would just use the same hub body and stick one more cog on the cassette like Campy. There was the possibility that the cassette would bend toward the spokes or something but there would most likely be room.

But the latest rumors are that they are truly increasing the size of the hub body. It would be a possibility that DT Swiss could come out with a new hub body. If the rumors are true then this would affect every DT Swiss hub out there including the Lightweight wheels, Reynolds that use DT Swiss, Zipp wheels built with DT Swiss. Every wheel built with DT Swiss. If DT Swiss could come up with a new hub body there still might be an issue with some wheels with the spokes hitting the derailleur.

So back to no one knows.

I have the design drawings for the new body and there is a length change. The finalized specs have been in the hands of some hub manufacturers since December and most companies already have their new freehub body designs done. The holdup is that nobody can get 11 speed cassettes to test their prototype bodies so nobody has been quick to put them into production yet. However expect to see that ramp up pretty quickly now.

prendrefeu wrote:If the freehub is longer, wouldn't that mean the wheel would need to be re-dished?

Not necessarily. On some hubs you have plenty of space on the end cap. So you make the body longer by 1.85mm and the end cap shorter by 1.85mm. It doesn't change the OLN dimensions or the center between the flanges. Hope I'm not just confusing anyone more with my poor explanations.

tommyb

by tommyb

:thumbup: exactly what I was hoping to hear, thanks madcow.

coppercook62

by coppercook62

Does anyone know if the Dt Swiss 11 speed rotor and dura ace 9000 cassette will work with Lightweight generation 3 wheels? I did a search didn't really understand it.

jb

by jb

Did you contact Carbonsports with this question?
My experience is they will respond fast at emails.

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

I don't think it will work. When a dt 11 speed freehub body is installed, you need to re-dish the wheel which is not possible on lightweights.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Check this image out of the architecture of the DT 240s hub in 10 and 11 sp Shimano configurations.

DT widened the OLN to 131mm with the 11sp setup. This will lessen the amount your LW is out of dish.
Attachments
DT SWISS 240 FLANGE GEO.png