3.0 edge 500 update now available

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

did it throught webupdater. worked 1st time. new features are cool.

natiedean24

by natiedean24

Since I'm not using a power meter, the extra screens don't mean much. I added another screen but most of the information becomes redundant. I may stick to three screens.

Wish there was a way in firmware for them to speed up the button presses. Does anyone else notice the delay and lag of the button press to the mode change? Advancing two screens requires two very slow and deliberate button presses. off topic - sorry.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rick

by Rick

I really like the addition of some parameters for "Last lap".
In the past, if you did an interval, all the data disappeared when you hit the "Lap" (interval) button again to stop it. Now you can stop it then review what the numbers were during that last "lap".

I noticed that the powermeter "calibration" routine now takes a lot longer; but in the end mine came back with the same calibration number as always (515). I hope it is "more accurate".

lalahsghost

by lalahsghost

The jittery stationary "movement" IMO is because your garmin is looking for close, typical, friendly satellites to put back in it's system to use before others. I.E. it lost it's notepad of favorite pals to link up with. I checked this out between my Edge 500, and my Forerunner 405cx, and my Edge 500 was bouncing satellite connections very frequently as compared to the Forerunner, which hasn't been tinkered with in terms of Firmware lately.

Just a theory... Does the garmin even keep track of which satellites are better to use and whatnot?

Oh, I have noticed something that has completely bonked on mine:
The bottom left screen which is shown when following a course - my elevation charts bounce like FARK all over the place. Kind of frustrating.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

The garmin does remember which satellites were used last and looks for those first when you turn it back on. Dont know if it still shows this, but my older garmin, if having trouble finding gps signals, would ask if im more than 500 miles from the last place i used it. Select yes, and it starts fresh...

Murphs

by Murphs

Rick wrote:I really like the addition of some parameters for "Last lap".
In the past, if you did an interval, all the data disappeared when you hit the "Lap" (interval) button again to stop it. Now you can stop it then review what the numbers were during that last "lap".

I noticed that the powermeter "calibration" routine now takes a lot longer; but in the end mine came back with the same calibration number as always (515). I hope it is "more accurate".

The 'last lap' function is excellent for short intervals, used it today for 30sec on/off and it works a treat.

My calibration is much faster with the new Firmware (power2max)

kudeta

by kudeta

After the firmware upgrade, Golden Cheetah no longer can read the fit files. Has anyone else experienced this or have a solution?

KWalker

by KWalker

I was really pumped to get all this stuff on my 800, but in all honesty TSS, IF, and in some cases NP are kinda superfluous. No one is going to turn around during a ride to hopefully keep a TSS target and NP really isn't useful for shorter intervals anyways. I found it nice to have a summary screen, however, and using NP instead of AP for a ride sometimes kept things in check.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

kudeta wrote:After the firmware upgrade, Golden Cheetah no longer can read the fit files. Has anyone else experienced this or have a solution?

u have the old GC i think. happened to me and realized that i didn't have the latest GC version.

i got some "heading error something" message.

dmp

by dmp

I did the upgrade 2 nights ago with no glitches, and took a short 24km ride after work yesterday (really windy! -gusts to 50km/hr). No problems, everything seemed to work perfectly, including the download to Ascent (Mac).

boysa

by boysa

nathanong87 wrote:
kudeta wrote:After the firmware upgrade, Golden Cheetah no longer can read the fit files. Has anyone else experienced this or have a solution?

u have the old GC i think. happened to me and realized that i didn't have the latest GC version.

i got some "heading error something" message.

I'm using GC 3.0 and have had no issues. I also find it to be a real step up from GC 2.1.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Can someone please help me. I can´t update from 2.80 to 3.00.
I´m on my.garmin page. It detects my device, but only says that there are no map updates.
I restarted the device twice, nothing.
WebUpdater also don´t find any updates.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"