New Madone for the Tour?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stuartclark1977

by Stuartclark1977

A well as that image didn't the shimano 9000 release specifically state there would be such an adjuster on the aero brake...

Epic-o

by Epic-o

elviento wrote:I agree the HT/fork junction is ugly, but I'm sure the numbers will shine.

The typical "flow" from HT to fork results in a "disjointed" fork from steerer to the crown, and uneven stiffness numbers in the steerer and the crown.

Storck said "f**k that". Now so does Trek. I say kudos for the courage.

A bigger crown will be typically stiffer for a given surface area, this is one of the many reasons to adopt OS HT. I don't understand Trek's choice, they are using E2 OS HT but crown's size is similar to typical 1.125" forks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

crimsonbadger

by crimsonbadger

ms6073 wrote:
Tinea Pedis wrote:
strobbekoen wrote:Okay, it could be done, risking losing a couple fingers trying..

Part of me hopes we see it during the Dauphine or the Tour...

While I agree that road debris may be an issue, for brake adjustments, from this image I got the impression that there is an inline cable adjuster on the brake cable up front thus no need for the rider to hang onto the team car while mecahnic adjusts the brakes.

I noticed that inline adjuster too--it's a slick solution as long as it provides sufficient modulation. Curious they didn't use a Speed Concept-style integrated rear brake instead of the DA unit; I doubt the fully integrated brake would pose any additional problems with adjustment, and would likely be better shielded from road debris. Regardless, I like it.

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

ms6073 wrote:
Tinea Pedis wrote:
strobbekoen wrote:Okay, it could be done, risking losing a couple fingers trying..

Part of me hopes we see it during the Dauphine or the Tour...

While I agree that road debris may be an issue, for brake adjustments, from this image I got the impression that there is an inline cable adjuster on the brake cable up front thus no need for the rider to hang onto the team car while mecahnic adjusts the brakes.

Good point. Although, opening the brake with a button a la campa or lever a la shimano is so much easier. Racers usually just flick the brake open after a wheel change or before a sprint etc.. It just doesn't seem practical or offer any benefits in road racing to me.

elviento

by elviento

To oversimplify it a bit, an evenly tapered fork (from steerer to crown) is the strongest fork. But the crown to head tube "flow" changes that. That's why models without that flow (such as Storck) would get stellar stiffness numbers.

See attached. You see the light blue line which zigzags? It's horrible for stiffness.

Epic-o wrote:
A bigger crown will be typically stiffer for a given surface area, this is one of the many reasons to adopt OS HT. I don't understand Trek's choice, they are using E2 OS HT but crown's size is similar to typical 1.125" forks
Attachments
Fork Flow.JPG
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Am I the only person openly wondering what the frame's weight will be?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

jsinclair

by jsinclair

prendrefeu wrote:Am I the only person openly wondering what the frame's weight will be?

not as light as it could be.

micky

by micky

But we may wait and see? :lol:

BrianAllan

by BrianAllan

Wow - Trek's really brought out the WW Haters Ball with the 7.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

I actually started to like Trek road frames, but after seeing there newest frame, I am already starting to dislike their road frames.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Yeah, and simultaneously, I'm finding myself in a strange opposite situation: have disliked Trek designs for years (decades, even) and this year has been completely different:
The Domane was the first Trek I actually took interest in, I really liked the style. Introduced along with the Spring Classics.
This new Madone may be the second... and I like the clean backside (no visible rear brake) and I particularly find the "dirty" style transition from crown to headtube very bold and very appealing. It's like Trek suddenly got some avant garde balls and is shedding their ubiquitous "suburban midlife crisis" style that has been surrounding all of their range for decades now.

Which is why I asked about the weight - if there are any claims floating around.
But Micky is absolutely right: we'll know when we know. :lol:

jsinclair

by jsinclair

i can't believe you just called a trek avant garde.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Neither can I. But I did.
This Madone is getting there. A Trek.
Strange days indeed.

HarryS

by HarryS

Agreed. I really like it, the headtube junction is great.

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

I never had Trek, and therefore the Madone, on my radar, but got to ride one for a month this Winter when I was abroad and I had to admit it rode really nicely. Really surprising combo of all day comfort and yet a very decent amount of snappyness.

Now that Trek engineers didn't have to worry about how to mount the brake, I don't see how the ride could have gotten worse.

Looks to me that their approach was to keep the 3-week comfort of the Madone 6-series and make it more aero. They had to sacrifice the position of the rear brake, but it's not like the old position was perfectly shielded. My rear brake always looks filthy after a rainy ride, how much worse can it be?

Do you guys really move around the brake caliper while you ride? I have opened and closed the QRs, but if anything, doing it at the headtube is better than just over the rear wheel.

I still hope they have some sort of cover going that RSNT may not be allowed to use thanks to the UCI, but I find this bike intriguing either way.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com