Dura Ace C35 clincher

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sfo423

by sfo423

madcow wrote:at least the old ones should be put on discount at some places.

Any suggestions? I am on fence over 24's or 35's.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Depends on how big you are, what you want to use the wheels for and what other wheels you currently have. Let me know that and I'll let you know my opinion.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Guess this means the RS80 C24's I just ordered from Chain Reation Cycles are officially overpriced garbage!!! Good thing they take returns!

:thumbup:

sfo423

by sfo423

madcow wrote:Depends on how big you are, what you want to use the wheels for and what other wheels you currently have. Let me know that and I'll let you know my opinion.

I was thinking more on the line of which retailers are discounting...

But, since you asked, on my last & current bike I've always had hand builts. Last time they were 30mm Kinlin w/CX Rays and WI hubs, 24 spoke rear. I went through three rear wheels (mostly cracks on eyelets); I shit you not. All built from reputable builders (on this forum). I weigh in a 160; spin small gears, anyway, I 'think' I am easy on wheels. I built up a new bike in September, had 27mm Kinlin's, Lasers and BHS hubs, 24h rear. Again, built up by reputable builder. Just cracked the rear along the side of the eyelet. I have bad luck w/hand built's and am going for some Dura Ace wheels. I ride hilly terrain, not always sustained climbs, but good mix of climbs, rollers and flats. We have great descents here too. I just want a one trick pony. C24 or C35 decision will also depend on price (if there is a change after tomorrow). I can see C24's today at ~$730 to my door. Which, IMO, is a great deal.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

sfo423 wrote:I can see C24's today at ~$730 to my door. Which, IMO, is a great deal.

Can you share where?? As I stated, I just ordered RS80 C24's for ~$550.......but I think I am going to send them back in favor of a discounted (hopefully heavily) set of DA C24's.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Sounds to me like you'd be best off on the C35 as it is probably the most versatile of the two wheels you mentioned. Though honestly if you can find some C50. We put a set through as much abuse as we could think of here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJmdb1Oe2h8 That's only 4 minutes but we did that to those wheels for about 20 hours over a few days while shooting that and they still haven't needed to be trued. After the video they went into the race circuit so we could see how they would hold up there. So far 1000's of miles, with a about 200 miles offroad and including a 3rd in a stage at Tour of Gila, and we've not touched them since they came out of the box.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

Does anyone know if Shimano USA will honor the 3 year warranty when you buy from a UK vendor like chainreaction?

oh and sfo423, if you crack the rim so often I would recommend the DA wheels for their long warranty.. even if you crack it after the 3rd year your cost of ownership isn't that high per year.

sfo423

by sfo423

btompkins0112 wrote:
sfo423 wrote:I can see C24's today at ~$730 to my door. Which, IMO, is a great deal.

Can you share where?? As I stated, I just ordered RS80 C24's for ~$550.......but I think I am going to send them back in favor of a discounted (hopefully heavily) set of DA C24's.

I am waiting on confirmation on price and availability. Will gladly share upon confirmation.

madcow wrote:Sounds to me like you'd be best off on the C35 as it is probably the most versatile of the two wheels you mentioned. Though honestly if you can find some C50. We put a set through as much abuse as we could think of here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJmdb1Oe2h8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; That's only 4 minutes but we did that to those wheels for about 20 hours over a few days while shooting that and they still haven't needed to be trued. After the video they went into the race circuit so we could see how they would hold up there. So far 1000's of miles, with a about 200 miles offroad and including a 3rd in a stage at Tour of Gila, and we've not touched them since they came out of the box.

How are the 35's as climbers? And, anyone have a 'true' weight? It looks like the 35's will be ~$500 more than the 24's; wondering if 'that' much better.

NealH

by NealH

PoorCyclist wrote:Does anyone know if Shimano USA will honor the 3 year warranty when you buy from a UK vendor like chainreaction?

oh and sfo423, if you crack the rim so often I would recommend the DA wheels for their long warranty.. even if you crack it after the 3rd year your cost of ownership isn't that high per year.

Yes, Shimano will honor the warranty either direct (eg; Shimano USA) or through a dealer (even if its not the dealer that you purchased them from). I have two sets of C24 clinchers and they are outstanding.

If you're not going to be spending a lot of time in the mid twenties or higher, just get the less expensive C24's. They are actually plenty aero enough. The C35's are a bit stiffer and slightly heavier, and of course more aero. Better suited to faster pace line riding, racing and probably CX. But there is a lot of overlap so either wheel will perform very well in the same venue. The extra stiffness of the C35 will come close to making up for the lighter weight C24 on a climb.

sfo423

by sfo423

Anyone want to venture a guess as to why all UK retailers are out of stock on the C24's at the same time?

Would be some coincidence.

drmutley

by drmutley

I just grabbed a set of C35s from sigmasports uk for $850 Usd... At that price how could I say no?

DISREGARD

SCAM BY SIGMASPORTS
Last edited by drmutley on Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

xjbaylor

by xjbaylor

drmutley wrote:I just grabbed a set of C35s from sigmasports uk for $850 Usd... At that price how could I say no? Lol

How did you find that deal? I just went to their site to check it out and couldn't find the C35 clincher. Please send me a link if you have one.

roadman

by roadman

I think they only had a few sets for sale at £699

CrazyErrol

by CrazyErrol

The UK distributor have no c24s until July I was told. Hence no shops have any.

plpete

by plpete

I recently purchased the DA C24 and put in some miles over the weekend. I am a 165-170lb rider and found them very comfortable and great riding wheels. I got my from Chain Reaction before the DA 11 speed was announced for $775 shipped to my door. They look to be back in stock there by mid June...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com