HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Post subject: is my bike safe to ride?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:38 pm 

Hi there

an incident happened this morning while riding my bianchi infinito. I was having strange shift problems on sram rival and decided to cut short my ride to head for home.

turns out the derailleur hanger was damaged (from a bike tip over several weeks ago, most likely. I've never crashed the bike, even though I race. ) unfortunately for me the hanger gave up the ghost about 2km from the house and went slap into the road. as can be expected, this resulted in some chain-on-chainstay action. luckily, this happened at a very low speed and normal pedalling ( I'd just crested the top of the hill and was on a flat), if not I'm sure it would have resulted in a busted frame .
the rear derailleur is a write off- it went smack into the road and the cage is badly bent. there are some bad scratches on the chainstay including one which is a particularly bad nick ( about maybe 0.5-1mm into the carbon, past the paint layer.) Unfortunately I don't have pictures now as I had to leave the country for business. I'll only be back in a few weeks.

What are the opinions? is the bike probably safe? or will I be riding on a ticking time bomb?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:14 pm 

Why take a chance with your life? Get it checked and repaired if needed. Continuing to ride a when you have a safety question seems to me to be a false economy.

Sent from the Nanny State,
KAC

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:14 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:10 pm 

Take it for a ride, see if the scratch looks any different (unlikely). Repeat till you have peace of mind.

And from recent posts on this forum we know the RH seat and chain stays can fail and you'll stay upright!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:01 am 

Miller wrote:
Take it for a ride, see if the scratch looks any different (unlikely). Repeat till you have peace of mind.

And from recent posts on this forum we know the RH seat and chain stays can fail and you'll stay upright!

:up: +1