HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:54 am 

I have ridden a rear wheel nemesis/mag 170 for 3100 miles so far, many times in the rain and flooded roads, no creaking here! Please keep us posted on how this gets resolved.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:33 pm 

metanoize wrote:
I have ridden a rear wheel nemesis/mag 170 for 3100 miles so far, many times in the rain and flooded roads, no creaking here! Please keep us posted on how this gets resolved.

Contacted FWB, they said they have not had any issues with the 170 hub. They asked me to send it back to them to take a look at it, so off it will go...hopefully for the one and only time :roll: .

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:33 pm 
  • tune MAG 170
  • 307.00 €   from 281.00 € (including 19% VAT)
  • in stock

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:58 am 

Razor wrote:
metanoize wrote:

Contacted FWB, they said they have not had any issues with the 170 hub. They asked me to send it back to them to take a look at it, so off it will go...hopefully for the one and only time :roll: .

First ride on my new 170 yesterday and.... it creaked..... Unreal. Hopefully it is the QR or something.... New ride today.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:44 am 

I have a set of Enve Wheels with Tune 70/170 hubs. I have used them for more than 1000 miles. Not a single peep from them. Wish I could say that about my BB30 components.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:38 am 

Today's ride was quiet.... fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:50 pm 

Razor wrote:
metanoize wrote:

FWB got the wheel. Here is the process they went through to identify the problem:

They mounted a tire and cassette and rode it, the sound I described was there.

So, they started with other options and checked the valve, spoke crosses and spoke heads to make sure none of them were the culprit. Which they weren’t. The hub was opened and they found that it was a little bit dry; it didn’t have enough lube from the factory. They also found that it was MISSING a micro spacer which is used to adjust preload.

It was then cleaned, lubed and the micro spacer installed. They test rode it again and it was quiet. They assumed that the missing spacer which is 0.15mm thick was allowing the freehub body to move ever so slightly and cause the noise.

Someone was asleep at the wheel when they built the hub, missing a spacer and very little lube? :roll: FWB was very fast with the repair and their communication was excellent, not their fault that someone at Tune had a brain freeze during the assembly.

Well, I hope it is trouble free from now on. I should get the wheel back in a couple of days, I'll put some miles on it and report back.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:34 am 

I think it is fixed now? I did some maintenance on the hub previously and mixed up the end cap washers. (my digital calipers broke)
I have always had to put 4 washers in to get the right preload and put a .18 mm instead of a .11 mm as the 4th washer.
I have only 1 ride on the wheel, but it was quiet. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:46 am 

how's the hub perform now after the repair?

Razor wrote:
Razor wrote:
metanoize wrote:

FWB got the wheel. Here is the process they went through to identify the problem:

They mounted a tire and cassette and rode it, the sound I described was there.

So, they started with other options and checked the valve, spoke crosses and spoke heads to make sure none of them were the culprit. Which they weren’t. The hub was opened and they found that it was a little bit dry; it didn’t have enough lube from the factory. They also found that it was MISSING a micro spacer which is used to adjust preload.

It was then cleaned, lubed and the micro spacer installed. They test rode it again and it was quiet. They assumed that the missing spacer which is 0.15mm thick was allowing the freehub body to move ever so slightly and cause the noise.

Someone was asleep at the wheel when they built the hub, missing a spacer and very little lube? :roll: FWB was very fast with the repair and their communication was excellent, not their fault that someone at Tune had a brain freeze during the assembly.

Well, I hope it is trouble free from now on. I should get the wheel back in a couple of days, I'll put some miles on it and report back.

Go to page Previous  1, 2