Cannondale Super Six Evo - Red or Ultimate

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

G6612

by G6612

I am looking to get some feedback on which route I should take if I decide to pull the trigger on the Supersix Evo.

I currently have a 2010 Supersix
Hollowgram SL's
Mavic Ksyrium SL's
3T Ergonova's
TRP 970SL's brakes

pretty much everything upgraded the only items that are stock are the bearings. I believe when I purchase a new bike I should always upgrade.

option 1
Purchase the Red version and then upgrade the cranks to Hollowgrams and change out the brakes.

option 2
Purchase the Ultimate (I like the color option better, build spec is closer to what I have)
I do not want to go to tubular wheels I am a clincher man I could sale the wheels or trade off to a nice clincher. I am looking at the most cost efficient and less hassle way to go.

Appreciate any thoughts.

motorthings

by motorthings

it's just money (if you have the funds for either option), so you really can't go wrong. you can't get the ultimate frame without getting the ultimate, so if that is a top priority, there is your decision.

the one caveat is to check availability on both options...that may help you make up your mind.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cerro

by cerro

Get the Ultimate and change the crappy seatpost :) And don't sell the wheels. Those DTwheels are really nice the little I've tried the Ultimate :)

beardking

by beardking

I vote red
idk where you're based but in the uk it seems the ultimate is twice the cost or more of the red version.
they both come with the same frame and group set and you don't want the wheels? with the extra money you could buy whatever you wanted to get it the ultimate standard but with whatever parts you wanted. and it seems you already have some nice parts anyway.

if you don't like the paint on the eve red then thats fair enough don't buy it just for that reason. I will say I wasn't a fan of the green from online shots but when I've seen one in a shop it looked nice and the green didn't stand as much as i thought it would.

or for the price of the eve you could buy a lot of other bikes :D

Podunk

by Podunk

It's the same frame. Go with Red and upgrade.

Whats the availability like for the EVO? I was told July/August

leosantos

by leosantos

though red is sooo much more bang for the buck, actually not only compared to the ultimate but to almost the whole carbon bike market, I wish you chose the ultimate.. this forum has too little of them (maybe $$-benefit is the reason), they are indeed great looking when you see in person (wouldnt say head-turning, but mean-fast-stealthy looking) and also Im interested on those DTs!
I even PMd you already!

the frames arent reaaally the same, as you likely know it by now. parts are hand picked to get only the lightest and paint is a very light variant, so is over 100 gr lighter compared to my blk/wte frame at a 56 size.

and no way that alien post is crap! Ive onwed 4 already! tried thomson, sworks, cyrano, and now settled w dorico ltd for the seatback, at least for now.. all in all, the alien is the best! by far the lightest, good clamp, confortable, cheaper than other carbon posts..

artray

by artray

Just buy an Evo frame , get the wet & dry out and go at it , in a few days you will have a nude carbon Evo as light as you can get and you will save a quite a few ponds in the process .

timzcat

by timzcat

Sand all you want don't think you'll make up the difference.

I should have a 56cm EVO Ultimate soon to be weighed.

I too am up in the air whether to kep the wheels as I do a lot of group rides but no racing at this time. Just don't think the tubulars are practical for regular group rides.
Especially since it's a good amount of coin I could recoup.

sgray

by sgray

Go with the ultimate if you want the lightest frame. The frame on the Red version is coming in around 840g actual weight for 56cm. Whether it's paint or hand selecting the tubes who knows, but the Ultimate should be significantly lighter.

motorthings

by motorthings

FYI - my 56cm white/black evo frame weighed in at 880g

CBRE

by CBRE

Get the Red, they will give you a smoking good deal to move it. I have two sets of carbon wheels(one being the dt rrc's), the new red group, a few other upgrades and am still slightly under the msrp of the ultimate, just sell all the stock parts off the red model as you go.
Curt Brown

2016 Cannondale EVO Etap 13.8#'s
2012 Cannondale Supersix EVO etap 13.7#'s
2017 Cannondale SUPER X Force 16.0#'s
2016 Cannondale FatCad2 28.1#'s
2011 Cannondale Carbon Flash 1 17.9#'s

53x12

by 53x12

motorthings wrote:FYI - my 56cm white/black evo frame weighed in at 880g

My 54 black/white SuperSix HM came in at 930. So really looking at around 50-60g difference? That can't be right can it?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

sgray

by sgray

53x12 wrote:
motorthings wrote:FYI - my 56cm white/black evo frame weighed in at 880g

My 54 black/white SuperSix HM came in at 930. So really looking at around 50-60g difference? That can't be right can it?

More like 60-100g difference if you factor in size difference and variation, but yes the several 56cm EV frames I saw were coming in somewhere in the mid-800s. Perhaps the Ultimate gets close to 695g, but the rest of them are way over that weight. I ended up going with a Scott Addict RC instead, 830g for the 56cm frame....and a lot cheaper on close-out.

djconnel

by djconnel

I generally have a thing about stock builds at any price... I'm a "get the frameset and choose each component with care" guy. Cannondale's tend to be fairly good, though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53x12

by 53x12

Speaking of the Evo, anyone see these pics of the 4.1kg Evo?

"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."