Bar tape

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mjduct

by mjduct

madmole wrote:Weight Weenies DONt use rim tape. We use Veloplugs. lighter, better, longer lasting

he asked about bar tape, it's a shame that people who can't read can still type... :roll:

alexb618

by alexb618

lizard skins dsp - by far the best on the market

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glowder

by glowder

Bontrager race lite grippy tape weighs 25 grams for the whole bar and costs $20. It's thin but I think the feel is great

jordo99

by jordo99

I'd went with cork for a long time for the cushioning but recently switched to Fizik Microtex. I definitely won't be going back. I did have some issues wrapping it well but I plan on re-wrapping soon. It's kind of a cloth-type tape so it doesn't want to stretch much but it's definitely made to last a long time.

I'll order a set of Lizard Skins DSP soon. It was a toss-up between the two when I was picking out tape last month and with people praising it I think I'll give it a try on one of my other bikes that still has cork.

cerro

by cerro

Deda all time for me. But long lasting is probably some hard glossy Fizik. If you like the Fizik soft black tape I can recommend Sram Superlight too, same tape.

But Deda Perforated is lighter, more comfortable and a winner :) (maybe not the best to keep clean)

roca rule

by roca rule

if you ride with gloves
fizik is hard to beat because it is esy to clean and can be rewrapped if you are carefull when you remove it.
if you ride without gloves then lizzar skins are the best, but they are expensive, hard to clean in the lighter colors.
to whoever said that you can rewrap, i have found it almost impossible because on the bends the tape adhesive overlaps the tape and when peeled of take the surface off. you have to be good at wrapping your bars too because lizardskins are not supposed to be stretched when installed. the plugs do look nice but are always half way off on my bars.

olebole

by olebole

mjduct wrote:
madmole wrote:Weight Weenies DONt use rim tape. We use Veloplugs. lighter, better, longer lasting

he asked about bar tape, it's a shame that people who can't read can still type... :roll:

The original topic was "rim tape", get over it.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I use Deda tape sometimes but prefer Cinelli cork as it more comfotable.

poppiholla

by poppiholla

Lizard Skins dsp is great but a pain to get clean and white again.
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

Getter

by Getter

I like the feel of the Fizik tape, but its way too thin for me...so I double wrap with the Spesh Roubaix tape on the bottom.

ProudDaddy

by ProudDaddy

Both versions of the Lizard Skins work well for me but agree that after a few weeks you cannot keep it white.

Bontrager race lite grippy tape - This sounds good to me but I only see it in black. Is it available in white?

carbon2329

by carbon2329

I have used Fizik Microtex for the past 6-7 years. I really like it. It cleans very well (I use white). I have it on three builds, currently.
It has been re-wrapped and still works great. (it can tear, when taken off & re-wraped, if you are not carefull, but that's not too often)

I even had a recent, new bike-build totally finished except for tape and waited for the shop to order and get it in stock, instead of use another brand they had on the shelf.

I don't plan on using another brand/type until they stop making it :D .
(that will be a sad day :( , but hopefully that won't happen :thumbup: )

roca rule

by roca rule

Getter wrote:I like the feel of the Fizik tape, but its way too thin for me...so I double wrap with the Spesh Roubaix tape on the bottom.

you must have really big hands.
i like the roubaix tape by itself, but adding another layer of any tape migh be an overkill. have you tried the fizik gel inserts?

project3

by project3

I was told that zipp bar tape is the most comfortable.

LarsEjaas

by LarsEjaas

Lizard Skins really didn't last for me. Started to show wear already after 1 week of training on Mallorca. I was quite focused on NOT stretching the tape when installing: But still didn't last at all. + it was impossible to clean (white color).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com