Tune Mag 170 feedback

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LionelB

by LionelB

I have a Tune Mag 180 on one of my wheelset, after the initial creaking issues it has been trouble free for a couple of years now.

I am looking at a new build and the Mag 170 is the new version of the 180. Any feedback from people who have been on the 170 for a while ?

Thanks

Fourthbook

by Fourthbook

I believe Tune recently modified the 70/170 hubs, dropping the XO bearing and increasing the axle width among other refinements. I had the prior 70/170s and liked them a lot after the creaking was easily and quickly solved under warranty.

I now have the new version 70/170s on a pair of Enve 3.4s and after six months have been very happy with them: look great, work fine, no problems; however, the freehub/ratchet is pretty noisey so you won't sneak up on anyone...

http://fairwheelbikes.com/cycling-blog/updates-and-news/rear-hub-noise-comparison.html
Wilier Cento1 SR
13.10 lbs (5.95 kgs) w/Enve 3.4-Tune 70/170 & Conti Competitions tubulars
12.53 lbs (5.68 kgs) w/FarSports 24-Extralite & Vittoria CX EVO II tubulars

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Razor

by Razor

LionelB wrote:I have a Tune Mag 180 on one of my wheelset, after the initial creaking issues it has been trouble free for a couple of years now.

I am looking at a new build and the Mag 170 is the new version of the 180. Any feedback from people who have been on the 170 for a while ?

Thanks

I had the Mag 180 and had the creaking issue. I sent it back in under warrantee a few months ago, the Tune warrantee fix worked for about 3 months and the creaking returned. I was told that it would probably be a continuous problem because of eventual play between the XO bearing and ring. Not wanting to deal with that, I was offered a trade-in of my old 180 toward the new 170. I should receive the wheel today and hope to have a trouble-free hub, they are super smooth hubs.

brycerider

by brycerider

Have had both. 180 had drag issues and some creaking. The 170 has been good so far. No issues

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2
N+1 It Never Stops

jmartpr
Shop Owner

by jmartpr

As mentioned by others.....the 170 is a nice upgrade from the 180 with bigger bearings, no need for special tools, the XOT bearing is gone and a 17 mm diameter axle. All this translate into a sturdier hub that actually weight a bit less. So far from all the builds we have done with the 170 the feedback is very good.

excremanwu

by excremanwu

I had 3 Mag180 and all of them had the creaking issue.
But all solved.
smoothness are different among them, I found out that it is due to the o-ring.

I am using 2 Mag170, very nice upgrade
no creaking issue, 17mm axle, bigger hub shell, light and strong, improved and nice geometry

I wish to have my 3rd Mag170, but will tune provide a new freehub for Shimano11sp?

jmartpr wrote:As mentioned by others.....the 170 is a nice upgrade from the 180 with bigger bearings

it is my understanding that there are 3x6803 and 1x6903 in Mag170 (static load 1305)
static load of Mag180 is 1306? (6802/6902)

pawnii

by pawnii

off topic here
I have a Mag150 that creaks. When i take the cassette out and grease the freewheel the creaking stops for a few week.
Is this the same creaking issue you guys are talking about?
2012 Scott Foil Premium

jmartpr
Shop Owner

by jmartpr

We have found on mag 180/150 that the creaking can be a XOT bearing that has become loose.
This special bearing is bonded with green loctite to the hub shell but with time or if you use harsh degreasers/cleaners it will become unglued.
They tend to move a bit due to the previous design with a smaller diameter axle and XOT bearing causing the creaking noise.
You can try to take apart the hub (be careful if you don't have the Tune tools not to damage the carbon axle) and check that all bearings are bonded.
Instead of green loctite we had great results with Tef Gel which is a thick antiseize/anticorrosion grease we have been using on wheel nipples.
Of course if you again clean your bike a lot with degreasers over time you will have to relube/bond the bearings again.
Also check the freehub bearings if it rides smooth and on the Mag 150 the number of shims you have to adjust preload.....these hubs with carbon axle can't be adjuted like the Mag 180/170.

excremanwu

by excremanwu

I fixed my Mag180s by doing this

sanding...

Razor

by Razor

Razor wrote:
LionelB wrote:I have a Tune Mag 180 on one of my wheelset, after the initial creaking issues it has been trouble free for a couple of years now.

Thanks

I had the Mag 180 and had the creaking issue. I sent it back in under warrantee a few months ago, the Tune warrantee fix worked for about 3 months and the creaking returned. I was told that it would probably be a continuous problem because of eventual play between the XO bearing and ring. Not wanting to deal with that, I was offered a trade-in of my old 180 toward the new 170. I should receive the wheel today and hope to have a trouble-free hub, they are super smooth hubs.

Put 1500mi. on the new Mag 170 hub.....now CREAKING! This is so frustrating considering that the new version supposedly fixed this issue. I'll have to call FairWheel Bikes (who sold me the hub) and find out the next step. My Bike Hub Store hub has been more durable than this supposedly "higher quality" hub.... :evil:

excremanwu

by excremanwu

oh..i am sorry to hear about that
But My 170 still work perfect now while my bikehubstore and dati hubs keep creaking...(otherwise I would love dati hubs)

LionelB

by LionelB

Razor wrote:
Razor wrote:

Thanks

Put 1500mi. on the new Mag 170 hub.....now CREAKING! This is so frustrating considering that the new version supposedly fixed this issue. I'll have to call FairWheel Bikes (who sold me the hub) and find out the next step. My Bike Hub Store hub has been more durable than this supposedly "higher quality" hub.... :evil:

NOT GOOD! I hope this is not going to be the same nightmare as the 180. My rear wheel just got a new 170 to replace my 180.

Razor

by Razor

LionelB wrote:
Razor wrote:
Razor wrote:

Thanks

NOT GOOD! I hope this is not going to be the same nightmare as the 180. My rear wheel just got a new 170 to replace my 180.

I hope you have better luck than I have. Recently, the hub started to make a clicking noise so I thought the skewers were loose. I lubed the rear drop out/skewers ends, tightened it down. The noise went away for a day or so, then yesterday it went full on creak. Tried different skewers, same noise (I've become an expert at the "Tune Creak" lol), swapped out wheels with same skewers....noise gone. I'll post an update when I contact FWB.

tuba

by tuba

I purchased a set of light weight clinchers from Fairwheel with Tune hubs (Mag 180), it started to creak/crack after 2 rides. I tried a couple remedies from this forum with no success. I sent the wheel back to Fairwheel for them to try to fix it but when I got it back it started creaking on the first ride. I sent the wheel back to get it replaced with the Mag 170.

I have ridden the Mag 170 for around 700 miles and it started to make a consistent crack sound today. (similar to the crack/creak on the Mag 180 but not as loud) :noidea:

time to look for a new brand of wheels no Tune or C-4 for me

Razor

by Razor

tuba wrote:I purchased a set of light weight clinchers from Fairwheel with Tune hubs (Mag 180), it started to creak/crack after 2 rides. I tried a couple remedies from this forum with no success. I sent the wheel back to Fairwheel for them to try to fix it but when I got it back it started creaking on the first ride. I sent the wheel back to get it replaced with the Mag 170.

I have ridden the Mag 170 for around 700 miles and it started to make a consistent crack sound today. (similar to the crack/creak on the Mag 180 but not as loud) :noidea:

time to look for a new brand of wheels no Tune or C-4 for me

Wow, sorry too hear that as your experience almost mirrors mine. I am wondering if there was a bad batch of hubs coming out of FWB or has Tune really not addressed the issues they had with the Mag 180?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com