Need suggestions for a new handlebar.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Strekoza

by Strekoza

Hi guys,
I am new to this forum and this will be my first posting. Anyways, after getting a Retul fitting on my Bianchi Vigorelli the fitter suggested I get a 42cm width bar with a shallow drop. Right now I am running a 44cm FSA Wing compact alloy. Which bar do you suggest I look at getting?
Thanks,
Stephan

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I think you may need to have a word with your fitter. First your current bar is about as shallow as they get (125 mm drop). Also your bar flairs at the drops so in fact the space up at the hoods is not as wide as many other 44 cm bars. Also IMO, while not light, that bar is a very comfortable and solid alloy option. If you indeed need a narrower bar than the same thing or similar in the next size down (42 cm) will be great. 3T and Pro also have some very nice alloy bars that will have a similar profile and comfort to what you have now. If budget permits the same companies carbon offerings will save you 100 grams. but cost you $200 more.

and welcome to weight weenies. :welcome:
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Strekoza

by Strekoza

Well it is 44cm on the hoods and like 46cm on the drops. I noticed the flair and Im not a big fan of that. I don't mind spending the extra money, but I heard carbon bars aren't as reliable and not much lighter then alloy. Even most pros use alloy bars.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The Deda pressa bar migth fit you. the dropis 128mm and comes in the width you want. Thomsen are also bringing out there handlebars in September, They might be suitable but cannot find any info at present on the important dimenions.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I have a set of these on my winter bike. Measure 42 center to center at the hoods, 44 at the drops. The flair is good for sprinting - clearance for the wrists.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

mimason

by mimason

You may want to check out some the the Shimano PRO line. I went from 3T Ergosum to PRO and it was a good move for me especially since the 3T bars on top interfere slightly with sprinting...not so on the Shimano's.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RussellS

by RussellS

Strekoza wrote:but I heard carbon bars aren't as reliable and not much lighter then alloy. Even most pros use alloy bars.

Pros use alloy bars because weight isn't really an issue for them. Their bikes cannot weigh less than 14.8 pounds or so. So it makes no sense to use ultra light bars and posts and saddles if they then have to bolt on extra weights to get up to the limit. Cannondale had fun with that a number of years ago by bolting on weights on the pro bikes and then advertising their bikes were illegal because they were too light. I have a carbon bar and its been in two crashes now. One of the crashes unfortunately was this morning. No harm done to it. So I would say carbon bars are tough enough. Although I suppose how they break is different than alloy bars. Carbon breaks and is not usable. Alloy will bend but is still usable by the rider until the end of the race. But both can be harmed in a crash if they hit the ground just right. Its true most carbon bars are not any lighter than alloy bars. My FSA carbon bars are 225-250 or so grams. Same as alloy bars. There are a few ultra light carbon bars around 170 grams. But just a very few carbon bars test the ultra light arena. I have some unmounted Zipp carbon bars that are around 170 grams.