Bar tape

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TimF

by TimF

Apologies if this has been asked before! Which comfortable and light, long lasting bar tape are you using? I'm going to try and fit myself so not too hard to reposition if I get it wrong!

Cheers, Tim

:beerchug:
Last edited by TimF on Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

madmole

by madmole

Weight Weenies DONt use rim tape. We use Veloplugs. lighter, better, longer lasting
Cervelo S3 2011. Blinged 6.718 Kg

sungod

by sungod

fizik microtex, white is easy to clean

andrewleitch86

by andrewleitch86

+1 for Fizik. I can't remember if it's the absolute lightest but at the time when I was choosing bar tape it came out lighter than everything else I looked at.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?umg13q

Elpimpo

by Elpimpo

+2
Microtex lasts forever! Bike shops dont even like selling it because they loose bar wrap business.

Ive had bright red on my main bike for over 6 months of hard mileage and all i ever do is wipe down with a wet towel.

the s-works cushioned tape is really comfortable and lasts a while too before needing replacement.

artray

by artray

I use some very light cotton tape that I stick down with some very light cloth sticky tape .I like to feel my bars I do not like much padding

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Lizard Skins.....nice and cushy and the added benefit of being able to reposition (unwrap and re-wrap) as many times as you care to.

bricky21

by bricky21

madmole wrote:Weight Weenies DONt use rim tape. We use Veloplugs. lighter, better, longer lasting

Weight Weenies know the difference between rim tape and bar tape :wink:

mancvb

by mancvb

btompkins0112 wrote:Lizard Skins.....nice and cushy and the added benefit of being able to reposition (unwrap and re-wrap) as many times as you care to.

This, i've found that I like lizard skins the best. Really cushy and tacky.

russianbear

by russianbear

Cinelli cork tape for life.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

I've used Fizik Microtex and can confirm that it just won't die. It's a good and bad thing, as noted above.

I've also used both the Lizard Skins DSP and Race tape. The lighter Race tape doesn't have the same, nice comfy feel of the slightly thicker DSP tape. The kicker? The "lighter" Race tape weighed all of 1-2g less than the thicker DSP tape.

I'm sticking with DSP tape for the foreseeable future.

TimF

by TimF

Got some Fizic, thanks for all the options, when I mess it up and my bars look like a 5 year old has attacked them I'll be back 8)

Cyco

by Cyco

Shops don't like selling Microtex because they loose money fitting it.

Due to its stiffness it takes much longer to do a neat job of wrapping it than almost anything else (Benotto is only thing that came close)
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down

eurperg

by eurperg

I have Fizik Microtex on all my bikes and I agree it is not the easiest tape to wrap... Has anyone tried if heating it a little bit before wrapping?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jmartpr
Shop Owner

by jmartpr

Bontrager has probably what it's the l;ightest tape but it's thin and doesn't last long...don't remember the model.
Deda and Fizik are very popular.
We have been using lately the new Selle Italia Smootape (light, strongh and comes in .25 and .5 mm) and the results have been great.....only thing is that it only comes in white or black.