powercordz grommet clasps

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sungod

by sungod

i noticed that there's now a "grommet clasp" available that is supposed to allow multiple tries at clamping, i'm assuming that makes removal and re-installation possible too

http://www.powercordz.com/brake-clasps/grommet-clasps

has anyone tried these? do they really allow removal/re-install?

if they do then i might get some for when it's time to replace my cables

crosschained

by crosschained

After a few (three) long hours of trying to install a set of powercords on my new frame yesterday with the grommets I would say that they are not a good fix. Even after reading all the negative reviews of them I still decided to order a full set. I work full time as a wrench how hard could this be? After running my rear derailluer and securing the cable with the grommet either the shifting would be super stiff even after lubing all the housing or the cable would slip. I could not get proper cable tension without the cable slipping out. The grommets only seem to last for one clamp before they become so damaged that they fall apart. Needless to say I am running inexpensive cable and housing on my bike now. I am sending my full set of powercords back on monday.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dammit

by Dammit

I never tried them for shifting, but I've got them for braking and once you've got over the frustration of fitting them they're spot on.

I've got DA 7970>Powercordz>EE Brakes (1st gen), and yes it was fiddly, but you forget about that pretty sharpish.

Fourthbook

by Fourthbook

Dammit: Do you use PowerCordz housings with your PowerCordz cables/ee brakes?
Wilier Cento1 SR
13.10 lbs (5.95 kgs) w/Enve 3.4-Tune 70/170 & Conti Competitions tubulars
12.53 lbs (5.68 kgs) w/FarSports 24-Extralite & Vittoria CX EVO II tubulars

Dammit

by Dammit

Nope, I tried it, and they didn't appear to add anything in terms of making it easier, so I just knotted the cord round the cable retention post, then used the clamp supplied with the brake to secure it.

I'll grab a picture later if my description is unclear.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I would love to see a photo of your EE brakes and powercodz. I have the same setup but could not get the little blue groumets and powercordz adequately fastened. I was worried they would not hold up. It seems like alot of people are getting frustrated with these cables. I took them off and put regular steel brake cables back on.

Dammit

by Dammit

I remember now what was really annoying was that the square clamping plate would rotate as you tightened the clamping bolt.

I ended up using a flat spanner to hold it in place.

Anyway, 500 or so miles as pictured, works great- had my concerns at first but it just works.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

that looks great! i will give it a try. Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com