di2 internal battery connector

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

daryl1

by daryl1

To anyone who did an internal di2 battery, what connector are you using?

I have a tenergy airsoft battery I am going to use with my build, but am a bit unsure whether I should stick with the mini tamiya connector or not. Is there a lot of concern with water entering the plug? I figure I can dab some silicone in the exposed areas and heatshrink the entire assembly after connected.

drmutley

by drmutley

just cut the shimano connector off the battery mount and splice this onto the LiPo battery.... red to red... black to black... then connect as usual.... then u dont have to worry bout compatibility issues, or waterproofness....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

daryl1

by daryl1

How do I charge the battery without cutting and soldering every time then? :shock:

drmutley

by drmutley

daryl1 wrote:How do I charge the battery without cutting and soldering every time then? :shock:

On the tenergy I used, there were 2 connectors, one generic, and one for charging...
Cut the generic off and solder/heat shrink the shimano connector on... The charging connector remains to allow easy charging....

markc

by markc

Internal routing on a P3C using JST connectors on the power leads for me.

daryl1

by daryl1

I don't have the original di2 battery, that's probably why I was confused :D

Looks like I'll just stick with the mini tamiya connector and shrink wrap the connection

drmutley

by drmutley

Not the battery, just the battery mount... It is standard with the internal wiring harness.... Just cut the mount off the harness and join the battery on at this point, leaving the charging connector in place

daryl1

by daryl1

drmutley wrote:Not the battery, just the battery mount... It is standard with the internal wiring harness.... Just cut the mount off the harness and join the battery on at this point, leaving the charging connector in place

Ah thanks a lot, makes sense. I was a bit confused because I don't have a balance charger, just a generic lipo battery charger (2 pin setup). Gonna see if I can exchange it for a 3 pin balance charger, this seems like the cleanest solution :)

petemilligan

by petemilligan

Dammit wrote:Image

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005 ... 05_s00_i00" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's version two the battery. Now with 18mm carbon fibre tube & capped with resin/micro-balloon slurry. weight is down to 60g.Image

daryl1

by daryl1

Just got the internal harness in today. Lucky I ordered the harness that has an extra long wire for the seatpost battery :D looks like it will fit perfectly.

Cut off the battery wire and I see there are two red two black. I'm assuming there are 2x positive/negative from the same power source, is that correct? If so it looks like all I have to do is solder the positive and negative to the battery 2 leads to one. Seems logical, just wanna be 100% sure!

Thanks for the help guys :D

Dammit

by Dammit

Version 2 looks good Pete, when can I get my hands on one?

drmutley

by drmutley

daryl1 wrote:Just got the internal harness in today. Lucky I ordered the harness that has an extra long wire for the seatpost battery :D looks like it will fit perfectly.

Cut off the battery wire and I see there are two red two black. I'm assuming there are 2x positive/negative from the same power source, is that correct? If so it looks like all I have to do is solder the positive and negative to the battery 2 leads to one. Seems logical, just wanna be 100% sure!

Thanks for the help guys :D

Yep

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com