Advice: SRAM Force RD Tuning (no drilling yet)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jordo99

by jordo99

Just starting to build up my new bike and I'm wondering where I should start with my SRAM Force RD.

I'm looking to spend around $50 to get started on tuning my RD but I'm not sure what parts I should start upgrading first.

I was looking at http://www.torontocycles.com/Selling/Derailleur.html and really like the blue aluminum bolts (will match my frameset nicely).
I can get the following for around $60 shipped:
11T KCNC Derailleur Jockey Wheel Set-Blue
Derailleur/Brake Spring/Stop Mini Alloy 14 Bolts - Blue
Aluminum Hollow Rear Derailleur Pivot Bolt Kit (Anodized Blue)

I'm almost tempted to get it just for the colors but I'm more focused on weight at this point. Any idea on the weight I'd drop for this and if I should get a carbon cage first (thinking that I'd do that in a few months)? Also, it seems like the pivot bolt isn't included in there but they only have shimano/campy pivot bolts?

Would love to heard your thoughts on this and whether or not I should start with something else first.

2002maniac

by 2002maniac

no advice to give, but I'm subscribing...

Are the red/force cages interchangeable?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Porschenut

by Porschenut

I'm picking up a 2012 Force rear derailleur today. My limited research leads me to believe that the the new 2012 comes with a carbon cage. Don't quote me on that though. I'll see about comparing it with my buddy's 2011 SRAM Red derailleur.

Porschenut

by Porschenut

I experimented a little with my 2012 Force RD. Original weight was 171 grams. I then replaced the high/low screws and B-adjutment screw with nylon ones, the inner derailleur cage with a 5g version from Fibrelyte, the lower jockey wheel bolt with titanium and the jockey wheels with 9g aluminum versions. After all this work it was 162g. Unfortunately the thin diameter B-adjustment screw kept bending when installed on the frame so it had to go. I didn't weight it after putting the steel B-adjustor back on, but I'm guessing that the final weight would be around 163-164g. I must say, after a lot more money than it would've been to simply buy a used SRAM RED to begin with, it was still heavier by about 18-19g. Lesson learned, just buy the Red to start with and tune that.
Last edited by Porschenut on Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stockie

by Stockie

I started with a used (but in excellent condition) 2012 Sram Force RD. Switched out all the bolts for alu ones, the jockey wheels for 9 gram delrins, aluminium mounting bolt and cable adjuster.
Did some drilling as well and ended at a weight of 135 grams. Total cost was 60 euros for the RD, and 80euros for the tuning parts.
I Will make the leap

fallen86

by fallen86

As previously stated, you're better off starting off with a sram red. In any case though, check out my writeup, i went pretty far with my tuning. http://www.the-climb.net/2012/03/sram-f ... -down.html

runningrunningjump

by runningrunningjump

Massive respect for your force tuning thread fella! Gutted for you after all that work!

I'm running the same force rear mech and have been eyeing up some weight loss but after reading that I'm not going to chase is on a force rear mech!

lechat

by lechat

I just tuned a Force RD down to 141gms.viewtopic.php?f=3&t=66573&start=120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Only Paid $45 for it and already had the jockey wheels and assorted fasteners, so it was a lot cheaper than buying a Red one on Ebay. The alloy inner cage only weighed 8.7gms and I dremeled a couple of those grams away, so It's not worth springing for a Fibrelite one. I could'a paired off more aluminum, but was happy with the outcome. Eventually I'll snag a used Red and go uberlight.

fallen86

by fallen86

as it was in my case. I had little components lying around so i went ahead and did it. I do like knowing where the weight is on these things though and it seems like the Red is quite a bit superior in terms of weight all around. It seems like the black portion where the cage pivots is where a lot of the weight is though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com