Light weight daily semi-aero wheels for a light weight rider

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dvincere

by dvincere

I am looking for a new pair of wheels and I cannot build them myself. They need to be clinchers. They will be used for training and racing but not commuting. I am aiming for the best weight I can get within a reasonable price.

I weigh 62 kg / 135 lbs

I think there is some benefit to having something with decent aerodynamics so I've been looking mostly at the 32-42 mm depth range. Right now the Soul 3.0SL top the list. The 4.0s seem heavy. I've also been looking at the American Classics 420 aero 3 and the Rolf Vigors.

Can anyone recommend one of these? Is there a better alternative I am missing?

Thanks!
Also this is my first post but I will go introduce myself after I grab some pics of my new bike and the mods made. It's nothing new though since it is yet another CAAD10...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ALAN Carbon+

by ALAN Carbon+

How light are you looking for? Yishun now has a 40mm alloy clincher with a claimed weight of 1510g and a cost of $268.
http://www.yishunbike.com/2012-yishunbi ... p-649.html

I am interested to see what they are like, given other feedback on their carbon wheels.

TOflat

by TOflat

I bought a set of Easton EA90 SLX wheels a few months back. No complaints, very smooth rolling. $1300 CAD retail. Ceramic bearings front and back with a very easily maintained freehub body. Not sure what you're type of reasonable is? (1360g wheelset)

I've also ridden on Fulcrum Racing 3's and Racing 5's which are both very nice alternatives.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

I would recommend the AC 420s, unless you're doing lots of training in bad weather (the sidewalls are not the thickest, and the bearings are said not to be super durable -- never had any problems though). Have been really enjoying mine for some serious mileage. They accelerate nicely, roll very well, and best of all, can be found for a bargain on Ebay.

I have an older model only, though, maybe the newer ones are even better.

dvincere

by dvincere

TOflat wrote:I bought a set of Easton EA90 SLX wheels a few months back. No complaints, very smooth rolling. $1300 CAD retail. Ceramic bearings front and back with a very easily maintained freehub body. Not sure what you're type of reasonable is? (1360g wheelset)

I've also ridden on Fulcrum Racing 3's and Racing 5's which are both very nice alternatives.

These look like great wheels. What's your opinion on the aerodynamic advantages of adding another 10 mm to the rim depth though?

wassertreter wrote:I would recommend the AC 420s, unless you're doing lots of training in bad weather (the sidewalls are not the thickest, and the bearings are said not to be super durable -- never had any problems though). Have been really enjoying mine for some serious mileage. They accelerate nicely, roll very well, and best of all, can be found for a bargain on Ebay.

I have an older model only, though, maybe the newer ones are even better.

Training in bad weather means throwing the Aksiums on for sure. Also, do you happen to know if the graphics are decals that can be de-badged?

ALAN Carbon+ wrote:How light are you looking for? Yishun now has a 40mm alloy clincher with a claimed weight of 1510g and a cost of $268.
http://www.yishunbike.com/2012-yishunbi ... p-649.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am interested to see what they are like, given other feedback on their carbon wheels.

On the page to buy them they claim 1710 grams! Weird.

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

dvincere wrote:I think there is some benefit to having something with decent aerodynamics so I've been looking mostly at the 32-42 mm depth range.

There is way more than depth involved. The take away from the latest aero designs is that a rounded and wider rim with decent depth beats a narrow V from any direction (especially if the V is narrower than the tire), and is *much* easier to handle in cross winds.

The BHS C472 rim (made by Kinlin) would be my pick. The shape is quite rounded, 23mm wide and 28mm deep. Probably better aero than the 19x40mm rims in most conditions... and a decent weight too. Unfortunately you can't currently get them in 16 or 18h, which would be ideal for someone of your weight. You can have them built custom or buy wheels with those rims from Boyd.

This is assuming that you are using 23mm tires. If 20mm tires work for you, I'd look at getting some wheels with the Stan's 340 rims... super light, and should be decent aero with a 20mm tire.

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

dvincere wrote:On the page to buy them they claim 1710 grams! Weird.

Ya... lightest ~40mm rims I know of are ~550g... 1710g is more believable that 1510g.

dvincere

by dvincere

rruff wrote:
dvincere wrote:I think there is some benefit to having something with decent aerodynamics so I've been looking mostly at the 32-42 mm depth range.

There is way more than depth involved. The take away from the latest aero designs is that a rounded and wider rim with decent depth beats a narrow V from any direction (especially if the V is narrower than the tire), and is *much* easier to handle in cross winds.

The BHS C472 rim (made by Kinlin) would be my pick. The shape is quite rounded, 23mm wide and 28mm deep. Probably better aero than the 19x40mm rims in most conditions... and a decent weight too. Unfortunately you can't currently get them in 16 or 18h, which would be ideal for someone of your weight. You can have them built custom or buy wheels with those rims from Boyd.

This is assuming that you are using 23mm tires. If 20mm tires work for you, I'd look at getting some wheels with the Stan's 340 rims... super light, and should be decent aero with a 20mm tire.

Definitely liking the Boyd Vitesse. A little heavier than what I was hoping for but the look good and are keeping up with the developments in wide rims unlike Soul to name one. I do ride 23mm, usually Conti GP4000.

The Williams WS30 seem to be in the same area but no mention of the width of their rims.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Zipp 202?

HillRPete

by HillRPete

dvincere wrote:
wassertreter wrote:I would recommend the AC 420s ...

Training in bad weather means throwing the Aksiums on for sure. Also, do you happen to know if the graphics are decals that can be de-badged?

I have the older black/white model on which they wouldn't come off easily.

pbb99

by pbb99

I have the American Classic 420 Aero 3 and am happy with them. My set is 1538g. I don't think they can be de-badged... haven't tried, but looks difficult, if not impossible.

soulbike
in the industry

by soulbike

Really?

A little heavier than what I was hoping for but the look good and are keeping up with the developments in wide rims unlike Soul to name one. I do ride 23mm, usually Conti GP4000.

The Williams WS30 seem to be in the same area but no mention of the width of their rims.

dvincere

by dvincere

soulbike wrote:Really?

With all apologies, good sir, but consumers can be fickle beasts and I am no exception. As an engineer in a field that cares a lot about aerodynamics, the wider rims make sense and I'd rather have them than not. And the comfort argument is even stronger. Do you have wider rims in the works? I'll admit, if not for that the 3.0sl you offer would be at the top of my list and may still win out. Also, what are your delivery times like to the US?

soulbike
in the industry

by soulbike

Without sounding too much like a self promotion spiel which I don't like doing on forums, yes we have wide rims coming out, they were supposed to be ready end May but are pushed back to end June as we want to launch all of them at the same time, and some of them are not ready.

Wider rims make alot of sense especially for clinchers, tubulars I must admit not as much. However, we want to make sure all our rims are tested, optimised and all bugs are worked out before we launch any of our products. As a teaser, the S3.0s will go to a 32mm depth, 23mm wide bulged foil shape, weight will be approximately 1520g. / End Spiel.

dvincere

by dvincere

soulbike wrote:Without sounding too much like a self promotion spiel which I don't like doing on forums, yes we have wide rims coming out, they were supposed to be ready end May but are pushed back to end June as we want to launch all of them at the same time, and some of them are not ready.

Wider rims make alot of sense especially for clinchers, tubulars I must admit not as much. However, we want to make sure all our rims are tested, optimised and all bugs are worked out before we launch any of our products. As a teaser, the S3.0s will go to a 32mm depth, 23mm wide bulged foil shape, weight will be approximately 1520g. / End Spiel.

You know exactly what the customer wants haha. I guess I'll have to use my Aksiums for the big race if I can wait.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com