Spoke count for disc brake wheelset?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

ms6073

by ms6073

So in terms of spoke counts for cyclocrossuse wheelsets with 160mm rotors for a ~79kg rider, what are the considerations/limitations of 24/24 versus 24/28 versus 28/28.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

StradaJon
in the industry

by StradaJon

I would opt for 28 / 28 ideally with a spoke designed for use with Disc braking such as a DT Swiss Revolution or the Sapim CX Ray to keep the weight down. The torque at the hub end of the spoke is higher than cantilever when under braking.
Strada Hand Built Wheels
http://www.stradawheels.co.uk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mjduct

by mjduct

that explains why I keep busting them at the hub on my 29er!

ms6073

by ms6073

So are loads at the hub for disc wheels handled differently based on hub design and spoke patterns? I notice both Easton and Reynolds are marketing sub 1500 grram carbon tubeless 29er wheelsets featuring 24/24 spoke counts with hubs that use straight pull spokes.

- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

StradaJon
in the industry

by StradaJon

Yes Michael - think about the torque being applied to the hub flange when you pedal hard and then apply the disc brake. The flange and spoke needs to cope with these forces. There is more twist being applied to the area close to the hub flange on a disc brake than out at the rim on a cantilever brake.

In fact, Sapim have released the D-Light specifically for disc applications such as CX or 29er.
Strada Hand Built Wheels
http://www.stradawheels.co.uk

ms6073

by ms6073

StradaJon wrote:In fact, Sapim have released the D-Light specifically for disc applications such as CX or 29er.
Ah, good to know. So if sourcing hubs with straight pull spokes, then sounds like 24/24 or 24/28 would be a safe bet, otherwsie for conventionalal hubs sounds like I need to consider 3-corss with a minumum of 28/28 and Sapim D-Light spokes. At this point, if I were building a single wheelset, I use Enve or Zipp rims but got to replace 3-4 sets of Easton EC90 SL carbon tubulars so cost is a fact but I have read numerous possitive comments at another cycling related forum about 50mm carbon tubulars with 23mm width from Farsports and Yishun in China.
- Michael

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joeyruan
in the industry

by joeyruan

StradaJon wrote:Yes Michael - think about the torque being applied to the hub flange when you pedal hard and then apply the disc brake. The flange and spoke needs to cope with these forces. There is more twist being applied to the area close to the hub flange on a disc brake than out at the rim on a cantilever brake.

In fact, Sapim have released the D-Light specifically for disc applications such as CX or 29er.

+1