Need headunit for new SRM...Garmin 500 or PC7?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Dustin

by Dustin

Title says it all...

Had to replace my wired SRM due to a crash. Now debating between a Garmin 500 and a PC7.

My PCV has a crap battery, so SRM will upgrade me to a 7 for $500.

So option A is 1/2 the price of option B.

I like option B because I've been seeing a fair amount of issues with option A lately.

Thoughts from the peanut gallery?

wetpaint

by wetpaint

I'd go with the Garmin over the PC7. While I don't have those, I do have a PCVI and a 705. I really only use the 705. Being able to customize the screens is great and being able to have my average lap power on the same screen as instant power is awesome for pacing intervals.

When I run both computers at the same time, I get the same numbers in WKO+ so they both end up giving me the same power numbers, TSS, NP, etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

Pc7 is very reliable in operation and produces very reliable data. Simple, easy.

denzity

by denzity

I'm not sure how 'unreliable' the garmin is. I've run a 705 along with a PowerTap Joule and gotten exactly the same power numbers - unless of course both of these are always less 'accurate' than the SRM PC7.

Geoff

by Geoff

I was not referring to accuracy, rather the reliablity of the storage and transfer of data for subsequent analysis.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I have been using my SRM with both the Edge 500 and 800. Have a 705 as well but it's been relegated to sitting around collecting dust but still works fine. I primarily use Training Peaks and WKO+ for uploading and analysis although I do upload the data to Garmin Connect as well. I have had zero issues with reliable data transfer etc. I really do like the GPS data and being able to see exactly where on a map any of the laps or selections I might want to study are. For my needs Training peaks is best for analysis. Garmin Connect has improved immensely since they started it but still lags way behind Training Peaks for analysis. And to be honest, I really have no use for WKO+ at my level of "training" and yes, I use the word "training" loosely. Also, I really like the configurability of the different screens on the Garmin products. I looked closely at the SRM head units but at the end of the day I just couldn'tadvantages single advantage over the Garmin. Have to say I love the GPS and combined with the maps on the computer I can create and download rides etc for places I haven't ridden. To me the choice was a no brainer. Plus, I just think the Garmin looks better. Even the latest SRM head unit looks like a design that needs updating to my eyes. To each his own, but those are my thoughts in the topic.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Dustin

by Dustin

What about the PC6? One of those is available to me cheaply. I didn't think it was ANT+, though. Which only matters because...well, it doesn't really. But I have a Garmin S+C sensor in my parts drawer.

Geoff

by Geoff

The PC6 had some 'issues' with data corruption and battery life. When the first wireless PC6's came out, some elected to have a wired sending coil included in the PowerMeter and ran the PCV instead.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

I concur. Given the choice between a PC6 and PC7 for a little more, go with the 7. Battery life was very short with the PC6. the battery on the PC7 lasts a looong time!

wetpaint

by wetpaint

Dustin wrote:What about the PC6? One of those is available to me cheaply. I didn't think it was ANT+, though. Which only matters because...well, it doesn't really. But I have a Garmin S+C sensor in my parts drawer.

The PCVI will work with a Garmin speed/cadence sensor, you just have to change the sensor type in SRMwin, but it does work fine.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com