HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:44 pm 

Evening 10mile TT on training wheel set-up nice 28mph average 332W average. 21:24
Several lessons, 1.started way too hard, 2. continued too hard for the first section, 3. should have taken the first turn @5mins faster. 4. need the 11 sprocket on the Disc going down the hill at half way! maybe my 56 chainring too.... spinning at 110rpm after the hill ruined me a bit and made it difficult to maintain power output. 5. disappointed with the drop off in the last 4mins. Really started to struggle, and really dragged the average down. Suspect I lost a fair amount of time in the uphill drag to the finish!
5 second smoothing

Maybe looking at a long 20min 10 with the disc and tri-spoke back on the bike??

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:10 pm 
Administrator

Its been a while and still no pictures but here was my latest run on the 10.85 mile course.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/183699587

-First one over the cliff wins!

Posted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:10 pm 

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:27 pm 

Nice one Juanmoretime!
Loving the absolute straight flat road you've got!
Numbers say you paced that pretty well! av274 NP 274!
Would say the start and turn might be a bit too anaerobic 743w at the turn is quite aggressive. But you've gotta work things like that out by feel.

Intensity Factor suggest there might be a little more in the tank. You can probably get up to 1.0+ in a ~20min effort. as 1.0 should represent the maximum effort you can physically sustain for 1hour.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:19 pm 

here are my two time trials from this week. these are my 5th and 6th time trials and my second and third time using clip on bars so I'm still pretty new to this. I was riding a caad10 with fulcrum racing 7's

wednesdays 10 mile TT
http://app.strava.com/activities/9731279
I got first place and finished with a time of 23:46 a PB and this first time I've been under 24 minutes.
I didn't put out anywhere near as many watts as I would have liked though. didn't do a test ride with the TT bars on and I'd put them on wrong and didn't notice till it was too late. seems I had them at a different angle than my previous ride with them and they were tilted down too close to my knees.
also not sure about my pacing :oops: the course was very up and down and i had to reach off the clip ons to shift so I was trying to do that as little as possible

thursday night 9.2mile hilly course
http://app.strava.com/activities/9807905
I got 21:43 and finished third 31 seconds behind the winner.
moved the bars away from my knees and straight away I felt better and my power was 30 watts higher than the previous night.
again the route was lumpy, might have gone a bit too hard on the climb at the start but my heart rate rises steadily through the TT.

also I should have probably done a warm up I did the TT pretty cold

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:03 am 

TT last night, 30km, relatively flat. Started a little too hot for the first 10k, and really struggled to maintain speed and power in the headwind on the way back. Also a little too few hours spent on the TT bike this season. Changing the rear wheel after the race resulted in all sorts of cramps :(

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/186422531" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:29 am 
Administrator

jo.k wrote:
TT last night, 30km, relatively flat. Started a little too hot for the first 10k, and really struggled to maintain speed and power in the headwind on the way back. Also a little too few hours spent on the TT bike this season. Changing the rear wheel after the race resulted in all sorts of cramps :(

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/186422531" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:thumbup: Very nice tt inspite of the issues you had. Well done!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:02 am 

Thanks, I was quite happy with the performance after all. My first TT with a power meter, did not quite know what actual FTP on the TT bike was. Will use the analysis from this race to plan my next big TT (national championship in two weeks, 50km). Finished 21th last year, will be pleased to repeat that this year! :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:16 am 
Administrator

My first 40K of the year. It was pretty hot and we had 14 to 18 mph north/northwest winds.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/188519621

I'm pretty pleased overall.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:19 am 

Juanmoretime, impressive!

Thought I'd throw one of my little short ones in here.
My first win in a TT! Cat 4 stage race in New Orleans this past weekend. 3miles into a bit of a headwind on a flat road. This was a few hours after a 65mile RR in terrible weather, so not too bad. The pic came out a little small, but 336w, 28.3mph. I broke it up into 1min increments to see how level I was. Obviously started a little hard, averaged 400w for the first minute, a lot of that was just my kick off the line and my first 30sec settling, but it hurt me a bit in the middle. Saved a little for the last mile, passed my 30sec man about 200m from the line and being able to swing around him gave me the win! My time was 6:36.3s..... second place was 6:36.6s :twisted: Very close!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:23 am 
Administrator

woz9683 wrote:
Juanmoretime, impressive!

Thought I'd throw one of my little short ones in here.
My first win in a TT! Cat 4 stage race in New Orleans this past weekend. 3miles into a bit of a headwind on a flat road. This was a few hours after a 65mile RR in terrible weather, so not too bad. The pic came out a little small, but 336w, 28.3mph. I broke it up into 1min increments to see how level I was. Obviously started a little hard, averaged 400w for the first minute, a lot of that was just my kick off the line and my first 30sec settling, but it hurt me a bit in the middle. Saved a little for the last mile, passed my 30sec man about 200m from the line and being able to swing around him gave me the win! My time was 6:36.3s..... second place was 6:36.6s :twisted: Very close!

Thank you, for an old man :shock: I'm pretty satisfied with the 40K results and know I can do better.

Very nice job on your race too. Needless to say I'm really loving the Scott. What are you're thoughts on yours?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:34 pm 

Thanks! Yes, really enjoying mine as well. I think I must be a little shorter in the leg than you are, my saddle is a good bit lower, and I got an adjustable stem to get lower on the front as well. I probably need to post a new picture or two.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:20 am 

National championship a week ago. 50 km, nice conditions and rolling terrain. Not much chance for rest!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/191376695" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had a couple of incidences with traffic completely blocking the road, hence the peaks in the power curve. Guess I should have remained a bit cooler and accelerated more slowly, as my legs really paid for the >1000 W efforts the next kilometers ... Lesson learned for next year!

Any comments to the pacing? I think I started just a bit too hard, but without the two or three "sprint" efforts I reckon I'd just might be able to sustain my power all the way in. My last TT over 30 km had an average power of 356 W (358 W normalized), while this had 343 W (353 W normalized).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:36 pm 

jo.k wrote:
National championship a week ago. 50 km, nice conditions and rolling terrain. Not much chance for rest!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/191376695" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had a couple of incidences with traffic completely blocking the road, hence the peaks in the power curve. Guess I should have remained a bit cooler and accelerated more slowly, as my legs really paid for the >1000 W efforts the next kilometers ... Lesson learned for next year!

Any comments to the pacing? I think I started just a bit too hard, but without the two or three "sprint" efforts I reckon I'd just might be able to sustain my power all the way in. My last TT over 30 km had an average power of 356 W (358 W normalized), while this had 343 W (353 W normalized).

How do you find pedalling at ~100 RPM? I do the same and have always wondered whether I'd get a better average power over 1hr if I pedalled 80 RPM at a higher gear.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:00 am 

I try to keep the cadence up a bit, but haven't really reflected much over the potential effects of lowering it. I find it a bit harder to hit my target power with lower cadence while doing intervals on the TT bike.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:16 pm 

denzity wrote:
jo.k wrote:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/191376695" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How do you find pedalling at ~100 RPM? I do the same and have always wondered whether I'd get a better average power over 1hr if I pedalled 80 RPM at a higher gear.

I guess it depends how you are made (genetically/muscularly/fitness) I come from a rugby playing background (lots of gym time pushing big weights) so have very torque(y) legs quite happy to handle large force loads. I find I run better at high 80s low 90s rpm than at ~100rpm. I.e. my gear cable slipped a few weeks a go at about 3miles into a 25 and was left with 12-14 on the cassette, so i just rode it single speed and put in a massive PB. mind over matter? Although if i do lots more endurance work my self selected cadence rises slightly, as i find my lungs burn less for the effort. However no time to do that at the moment with working 12hour shifts. :(

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:16 pm 

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next