1" fork options

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I am looking for a 1" threadless fork that can will take mudguards and that will use 57mm drop brakes. All the one I have found 1) tifoisi carbon 658g and 2) kinesis racelight alu fork (~650g) are not very lightweight. Are there any full carbon versions at around 400g. I currently have a heavy steel fork that weighs in at 890g. I want to shed some weight from a 23.6lb road bike.

I have decided so far that I will be changing the gatorskin wire beads for GP4000s and fitting Conti Race28 supersonic tubes, that will save a measured 260g.
Next will be the wheels which are currently they are the winter training wheels, Miche RC2 hubs, rigida chrina rims, 64 Spaim race spokes with brass nipples (1950g). I am planning new wheels using Stans alpha rims 32/32H with miche RC2 hubs (because I trust them) and laser/race spokes (DS rear). I am 85kg with poor suffolk roads With Stans I will get a weight of ~1480g for the pair of wheels and I am far more concerned with weight loss at the rim than at the hub.

I am thinking of Token's light weight skewers which will save 60g -70g over the standard ambrosio ones.

Any pointers on the lightest rim tape as I normally use Velox rim tape but I know it's not the lightest.
The seatpost is a 27.0mm Thomsen elite so the only weight saving I can manage is to cut down as it is a long one. I am thinking of buying the the Centaur carbon cranks as well saving another 110g. The rest of the groupset is Veloce and has not worn out yet. I will upgrade as things break/wear out. I might might buy a chorus or record 10x cassette at some point

Anyone know of long drop brakes that are lighter than the miche performance which I currently use?

Other than that I am waiting for Thomsen to release their new handlebars as the road version is a claimed 200g, I will try that along with a thomen stem saving another ~90g over the cinelli Vai bars.

Total weight saving could be 1100-1200g + fork saving. Pedals will be also be on the cards. Not sure which ones yet. Also the mudguards are comming of for summer. I am hoping for sub 19lbs less would be better.

The frame is the boat anchor though. Shame it is so comfortable.
Last edited by bm0p700f on Thu May 31, 2012 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

I think you'll have an easier time looking for lightweight forks that take regular (short) reach calipers, and use them with "afterthought" mudgards like SKS and the likes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I know what you mean but I dislike the look of the afterthought mudguards. This frame has the mounts so I will stick to traditional mudguards for autumn/winter/spring, when it very wet.

Hense the question or am I stuck with 650g forks as the lightest option.

Without mudguards the bike is now 22.6lbs. A bit better but a long way to go.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

If you'd be willing to run cantis instead of calipers you could look for cross forks, but that's certainly just another kludge.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Yes cyclocross forks are no lighter and canti's won't save me any weight either.