Lawyers and Cyclists Can Mix - Not Just on Serottas/Parlees

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

KWalker

by KWalker

I only have a masters from a top ranked school and I ride a CAAD 10, so somewhere along my path I failed to work hard and achieve professional greatness.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

53x12

by 53x12

^ Yeah but you had a Guru at one time. That shows your greatness. :thumbup:
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SSB

by SSB

KWalker wrote:I only have a masters from a top ranked school and I ride a CAAD 10, so somewhere along my path I failed to work hard and achieve professional greatness.

I'm a summer student at a large law firm and dream of owning a CAAD10! :P I've been losing sleep over trying to find a darn frameset ever since I passed on a BBQ one my LBS offered last month (since I was hellbent on the anodized), which I regret immensely now. :oops:
Flickr
2012 Cannondale CAAD10

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

53x12 wrote:^ Yeah but you had a Guru at one time. That shows your greatness. :thumbup:
Well no, because he bought it "2nd hand".

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

SSB wrote:I'm a summer student at a large law firm and dream of owning a CAAD10! :P I've been losing sleep over trying to find a darn frameset ever since I passed on a BBQ one my LBS offered last month (since I was hellbent on the anodized), which I regret immensely now. :oops:

CAAD 10's are dime a dozen on ebay. AND You know what?! "SummerStudentataLargeLawfirm" This is your lucky day! There is a 54cm matte black anodized caad 10 frame with carbon fork on ebay right now!! for 750$ buy it now.

A simple search yields simple answers to complex problems.

If you can't afford it start getting rid of some of your services you pay monthly: Cable, phone, maybe eat in, take mass transit for a while, there are alternatives you know.

Stick around this forum and I am sure the good people can tell you clever ways of saving for it.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

SSB

by SSB

stella-azzurra wrote:
SSB wrote:I'm a summer student at a large law firm and dream of owning a CAAD10! :P I've been losing sleep over trying to find a darn frameset ever since I passed on a BBQ one my LBS offered last month (since I was hellbent on the anodized), which I regret immensely now. :oops:

CAAD 10's are dime a dozen on ebay. AND You know what?! "SummerStudentataLargeLawfirm" This is your lucky day! There is a 54cm matte black anodized caad 10 frame with carbon fork on ebay right now!! for 750$ buy it now.

A simple search yields simple answers to complex problems.

If you can't afford it start getting rid of some of your services you pay monthly: Cable, phone, maybe eat in, take mass transit for a while, there are alternatives you know.

Stick around this forum and I am sure the good people can tell you clever ways of saving for it.

It's an issue of finding one in my size and not money... and I've been searching on eBay everyday. It's a matter of me wanting to build something special out of a CAAD10 frame (a sub 6 kg one). I've called every C'dale dealer within a huge radius, and not one can get me a frameset anymore. Even finding a complete bike in my size is a challenge.

No need to be condescending by the way, but if it makes you feel good to talk down to me, then go for it (I'm used to it by now.) I'm actually moving down from a Cervelo S5 since I can't justify the expense if I'm not going to be racing as much.
Last edited by SSB on Wed May 30, 2012 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flickr
2012 Cannondale CAAD10

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

I don't think I'm talking down to you. If it sounds that way I apologize.

What is your frame size?
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

KWalker

by KWalker

My CAAD is definitely not sub 6kg and I also bought every single part on it used, besides a wheelset I managed to EP and a powermeter hook up I happened to get as a stroke of luck.

The Guru was a floor model, so not fully custom although the exact geo and specs I would have given them so it turned out to be just the right opportunity even though my luck with the frame was poor.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

djconnel

by djconnel

53x12 wrote:
djconnel wrote:The reason doctors are disliked is because the profession is unfairly protected from competition. ...

No offense DJ, but that is a lousy opinion....

The issue here is I'm taking more of a macrosocioeconomic view, while you're taking my comments personally. There's plenty of excellent doctors, for sure. I know a bunch. But the profession is not viewed positively, undeniably, and there's a reason. I wasn't the one to point this out: I was responding to speculation on why it is.

If a doctor after spending 90 seconds asking a few questions fires off some expensive tests to whose results he'll give at most 10 seconds of attention, then charges you $350 for the visit, coupled with a thousand by the lab and the "radiologist", that's considered normal. How would you like it if a bike mechanic gave your bike so little attention? People tend to resent it with doctors, as well.

It's like MUNI (public bus) drivers in San Francisco. For similar reasons, they are not liked. Their job is difficult, many work hard, and they're paid (while very well including benefits) a lot less than medical doctors. But there's a justifiable perception of institutional arrogance, lack of accountability, and isolation from competition.

I don't think, though, that we'd be discussing what bikes they ride. I did, however, meet a ferry captain the other day on a very very cool Metrofiets, towing two kids bikes, the kids in the cargo bay.

A bit like this one, but with a basket instead of a bar:

53x12

by 53x12

djconnel wrote: But the profession is not viewed positively, undeniably, and there's a reason. I wasn't the one to point this out: I was responding to speculation on why it is.

Utter bullocks. Rather than speaking in hyperbole why not provide objective evidence to support your statements? The reason probably being that you don't have any objective real world evidence. Physicians are very well respected, admired and looked highly upon in our society.

http://www.forbes.com/2006/07/28/leader ... mired.html

1. Firefighters
2. Physicians
3. Nurses

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/biztech/ar ... estige.htm

1. Firefighters
2. Scientist
2. Teachers
4. Physicians

http://www.ehow.com/list_5925228_top-te ... -jobs.html

1. Doctor
2. Teacher
3. Soldier
4. Firefighter

djconnel wrote:If a doctor after spending 90 seconds asking a few questions fires off some expensive tests to whose results he'll give at most 10 seconds of attention, then charges you $350 for the visit, coupled with a thousand by the lab and the "radiologist", that's considered normal. How would you like it if a bike mechanic gave your bike so little attention? People tend to resent it with doctors, as well.

Really 90 seconds? That is not the norm. However you are not going to have a doctor sit down with you and hold your hand for 1 hr. Reimbursement is going down. Doctors are seeing more uninsured and underinsured patients which means you won't see a dime for that service, but we still do that cause we want to help people. Since when did a store or company just open up their warehouse and let people in and take what they want at no price? We also have bills to pay (our office rent, our nurses salary, our office manager, our supplies, our malpractice, our medical student loans...etc.). Your perception of how things work is so different than they really are. When is the last time you did engineering work for free without payment of any form? I do it on a daily basis. It is the medical system that is messed up. Not physicians.

djconnel wrote:
But there's a justifiable perception of institutional arrogance, lack of accountability, and isolation from competition.

There is competition. You can go to a Naturopathic Doctor, a Nurse Practioner or another mid-level physician extender. But when you get hit on your bicycle by a car, let me guess who you want to fix your broken bones and brain bleed.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

KB

by KB

53x12 wrote:People should feel free to spend their income how they please. On a bike. Vacation. Cars. Electronics. Investments...etc.
Agree. Don't why we keep having this tired and pointless old argument. We had it a few years ago when Euro was on here before he got banned.

Who gives a shit what what anyone else rides. The fact that someone has nice bikes helps the industry. And no, I'm not someone who bought a bike at 50 as part of a midlife crisis. I joined a club when I was 16, raced for a couple years, left and then came back to riding; just like many others.

I've seen people from all different walks of life who have owned Parlees blah blah. So what!

djconnel

by djconnel

From your reference:

The profession of doctors, which 61 percent considered very prestigious in 1977, now gets the same rating from only 52 percent. "In 1977, we didn't have HMOs," explains Corso. "We had doctors that would make house calls."

And this is even using the term "prestigious", which is different than "lack of resentment". I certainly wouldn't deny doctors are given a lot of prestige.

For insured patients, the naturopath is typically more expensive than the physician billing 5 times as much. And if you get clobbered by a truck and are bleeding on the road, your ability to negotiate over care disappears.

Doctors in the US are paid substantially more than those anywhere else:

and Americans spend more on health care than any other major nation (see data in this spreadsheet), even as a fraction of GDP.
the rate has been steadily increasing over the decades.

I don't want an endless debate on this, but it's clear to me there's a major problem here with the medical profession and, more generally, public health policy. That physicians generally are doing exceptionally well on the system (I keep hearing how hard it is financially, but the general standard of living among physicians is obviously extremely high, hence this thread on the Parlees and Serottas) makes them an obvious target for people's dissatisfaction.
Last edited by djconnel on Wed May 30, 2012 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KWalker

by KWalker

The highest paid shock trauma doctor I know rides a 3 year old Trek and is one of the highest paid physicians on this side of the country /thread.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

djconnel

by djconnel

What I love about cycling is it's a great equalizer. Even if someone's on a Parlee or whatever wearing his Assos "sponsor yourself" kit, in the end everyone else experiences the same pain, the same difficulty.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53x12

by 53x12

djconnel wrote:From your reference:

The profession of doctors, which 61 percent considered very prestigious in 1977, now gets the same rating from only 52 percent. "In 1977, we didn't have HMOs," explains Corso. "We had doctors that would make house calls."

And this is even using the term "prestigious", which is different than "lack of resentment". I certainly wouldn't deny doctors are given a lot of prestige.

You don't hold someone you resent as being prestigious. Please look that up in the dictionary. Also, you still haven't shown me this data regarding all of this resentment towards physicians. DJ, could you please provide that?

djconnel wrote:For insured patients, the naturopath is typically more expensive than the physician billing 5 times as much. And if you get clobbered by a truck and are bleeding on the road, your ability to negotiate over care disappears.

Ok DJ, you are hit by a car and have multiple broken bones and a brain bleed. The helmet did its job, but you still have a serious head injury. You are still conscious and aware. EMS arrives and asks you where you want to go. What do you say 1) UCSF Medical Center/SFGH/Stanford Medical Center or 2) naturopath/nurse practioner/physician assistant? I bet you say #1.

djconnel wrote:
Doctors in the US are paid substantially more than those anywhere else:

And your point is what? It is a free market system. We are not in a socialized system where wages are artifically influenced. Oh btw, engineers in the US are paid substantially more than those anywhere else: http://www.worldsalaries.org/engineer.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

djconnel wrote:and Americans spend more on health care than any other major nation (see data in this spreadsheet), even as a fraction of GDP.
the rate has been steadily increasing over the decades.

I don't disagree we spend more money on health care than other countries. But that is NOT the fault of physicians. It is the fault of the system, politics, policies, health insurance companies...etc. Don't blame the innocent man.

djconnel wrote:I don't want an endless debate on this, but it's clear to me there's a major problem here with the medical profession and, more generally, public health policy. That physicians generally are doing exceptionally well on the system (I keep hearing how hard it is financially, but the general standard of living among physicians is obviously extremely high, hence this thread on the Parlees and Serottas) makes them an obvious target for people's dissatisfaction.

The issue is public health care policy, not physicians. Why are you so against physicians making an honest buck. We don't sit around drinking coffee all day long. lol

Here is where you health care money goes: