Cannondale SystemSix Hi-Mod BB30 project

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

53x12

by 53x12

I am taking this 2007 Cannondale SystemSix 54

+

and so far have gotten to here

This method of using the razor blade is taking a lot of time. Very slow and very labor intensive. However, I am happy with how clean it is leaving the frame compared to sanding it. At this point, it is going much slower. Paint seems to come off much easier, quicker and in bigger chunks over the aluminum half. However, the front carbon fiber is very very slow and very difficult. If things don't improve, I might have to resolve using something like Carbolift. I'm in no rush, but the portion over the carbon front is not very easy to chip away at.

Stock frame weight was 1172g. Currently it sits at 1146g and I expect it to get below 1100g. Rough guess, somewhere around 1060-1070g when all the paint and decals are stripped. Will then repaint the frame myself. Have a few ideas, but haven't solidified that yet.

Pics of rest of build kit to follow, predominately anchored by a Hollowgram SL crank. Will update this thread as the project progresses and as I seek advice.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

masters324

by masters324

:thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53x12

by 53x12

Weight now down to 1124g. Still have chain stays, downtube, toptube and headtube left. Not sure I will lose another 50g like I was first estimating. It will be close.

Now for some goodies:

The SRAM Red Black chainrings are a little porky, but the color and the stiffness will go perfectly with the build of this frame.

So far with the build:

Frame: 2007 Cannondale SystemSix 54 HiMod= 1089g (currently still more to go)
Fork: Cannondale SystemSix HiMod= 328g (currently, will stip as well)
Headset: Cannondale SystemSix= 70g
Crank: Cannondale Hollowgram SISL w/ SRAM Red Black chainrings= 493g
Bottom Bracket: Cannondale BB30= 137g
Stem: 3T ARX Team 130mm= 135g
Handlebar: Edge/Enve= 197g
Handlebar tape: Deda= 42g (uncut)
Seatpost: Easton EC90 SL= 199g (uncut)
Seatpost clamp: Cannondale= 23g
Saddle: Selle Italia SLR= 142g
Bottle cage: A1= 20g
Brakes: SRAM Red= 272g
Shifters: SRAM Rival= 331g
FD: SRAM Force= 88g
RD: SRAM Force= 171g
Chain: KMC X10SL gold= 224g
Cassette: SRAM Red= 154g
Wheels: Edge/Enve 1.65 DT240 w/o decals= 1229g
Tires: Vittoria Corsa EVO CX x2= 539g
Skwers: KCNC Ti= 45g
Valve extenders: Tufo 40mm x2= 4g
Glue/misc: 20g
Housing/cables: Yokozuna Reaction= ~150g
Pedals: Keywin CRM Ti= 196g

Total: 6298g

Rough estimate at this point, bike should be around 6.3-6.35kg built once the frame is painted. Not bad based on most of the parts above were spare parts/parts I got on the cheap. This build is not meant to be a super crazy WW build. This was meant to be a budget race bike and will make for a lovely crit bike.
Last edited by 53x12 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Greenduck

by Greenduck

Looks like a nice summer project. Can you reveal your ideas for the paint scheme?

Looking forward to follow this project :)
Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Think 2: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=139324

53x12

by 53x12

It will most likely end up black with a few Cannondale decals that are "ghosted" out if I can make that work. Black will match my other frames and seems the easiest as a DIY home project.

Thanks for your interest.

53x12

by 53x12

Weight now down to 1103g. Probably have another ~20g left on the frame to take off is my estimate.

Ahillock

by Ahillock

Great looking project. Should turn out to be a great build. :beerchug:

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Ah razor scraping. Been there before. Good luck with the project. Looks good so far.

53x12

by 53x12

ProfessorChaos wrote:Ah razor scraping. Been there before. Good luck with the project. Looks good so far.

Yeah you would know. Did you wet sand your Trek down or did you use a razor blade for parts of it?

kenz76

by kenz76

how is the alu-carbon joint made? looks different than clear-coated SystemSIX.

will you then clear-coat the frame or just leave it rough? :)

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

53x12 wrote:
ProfessorChaos wrote:Ah razor scraping. Been there before. Good luck with the project. Looks good so far.

Yeah you would know. Did you wet sand your Trek down or did you use a razor blade for parts of it?

I only did very light wet sanding with 800 grit after 98% of the paint was gone. I finished it up with a scotch bright pad, and light wet sanding with it.

53x12

by 53x12

kenz76 wrote:how is the alu-carbon joint made? looks different than clear-coated SystemSIX.

will you then clear-coat the frame or just leave it rough? :)

I'll take a shot of the alu-carbon junction later tonight.

For the paint scheme I am thinking of this Parlee. I know not very original. A nude with clear coat would be cool. But I think I might get tired of it.

ProfessorChaos wrote:I only did very light wet sanding with 800 grit after 98% of the paint was gone. I finished it up with a scotch bright pad, and light wet sanding with it.

Any reason for the Scotch bright pad at the end?

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

53x12 wrote:
Any reason for the Scotch bright pad at the end?

It gets in all the spots that are hard to get with the blade, and paper. Then the last couple passes just prep it for the clear to stick to.

53x12

by 53x12

Weight of the frame is now at 1095g. The rear triangle is about 95% done, still a few tiny patches that need work.

The front carbon triangle is one piece of work. That clear coat and decal layer is very very stubborn. I think I will need to move to sand paper now.

@ kenz76

Here are some pics of the aluminum-carbon joint.

@ ProfessorChaos

I picked up some 400 and 1000 grit wet sandpaper tonight. Those were the highest grit count wet sandpaper they had in stock. I am curious what you used? Do you think I will be ok with that?

After going through all the paint, I am blown away by how beautiful the frame still is. The aluminum welds are quite stunning. :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KB

by KB

Depending on the actual finish after the paint comes off and you have scotchbrited it etc., why not put a clearcoat and keep as is with the TI effect or maybe half and half; the front maybe in black. There are some stunning System 6's that look like that.