Di2 Remote Climbing Shifter mounting options

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pawnii

by pawnii

Hi all,

Has anyone tried to mount the Remote Climbing Shifter without the use of cable ties?
I'm interested in installing one but it's just so ugly on the bars.

Has anyone seen a neat way to mount them?

cheers.
2012 Scott Foil Premium

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drmutley

by drmutley

If u want a better looking remote shifter, use the cateye buttons.... Smaller, inconspicuous, cheaper and look alot better....

Geoff

by Geoff

You can steal your wife/gf's hot glue gun, which will work well...

pawnii

by pawnii

^ great idea :thumbup:
2012 Scott Foil Premium

Geoff

by Geoff

Just make sure to run a little bead around the outside edge of the satellite shifter box to ensure a really good seal. If required later, you can still remove it without damaging either of the shifter or the bar in any way. Oh, be sure to remove the double-sided foam tape thing, too...

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

Mine is in the post, due for delivery tomorrow and I'm totally anal about cable ties (who isn't!?). So this is keeping me awake and I've been hunting for pics over the last few days. Geoff, I know you've suggested hot glue for this (and other uses (wheel magnets)), but I still don't think I'd trust hot-glue on a bike. I've seen it fail in other less harsh, non biking situations, and I would always feel I needed to be ready for it to come unstuck. (maybe carry some spare cable-ties in saddlebag would be enough peace of mind).

I'm also considering mounting a 2nd climbing shifter for the front mech on the left side. Mainly to satisfy my ocd over symmetry, but it might make a substantial difference to my reluctance to swap rings when on the when on the tops and help me find a better cadence when normally I would grind it out or spend a minute or two out of the saddle.

Anyone else tried this?

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

dont worry, symmetry would mess me up to and i would have to run the pair of them too... surely a wee bit of custom work could make them look a wee bit nicer without the silly cable ties? can you put up pictures when they arrive on your bike and im sure we can sort out something
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

If only someone would make mounts like the Ki2 MTB stuff for road:

Something like that combined with the way the Above Category Barfly Garmin mount attaches to the bar would be ideal...

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

Hmm so fitted in the 'Normal' way for now. Just so I can go ride it. Definetly need the new Narrowband srm mount (edit: ordered), cant fit it flush over the top (without some dremelling :))

undecided about LH side still, it will be a bit wierd due to the button angles... I'll try it though, always keep a spare (or fit the other bike with it) if it doesnt work out.
Attachments
PicsArt_1338299005581.jpg

drmutley

by drmutley

Yikes, those buttons are massive!

artray

by artray

What about making a special pair of gloves where you could change gear just by putting pressure on the pads inserted in the fingers of the gloves, D12 The gloves. Gloves for the future.

boots2000

by boots2000

Are these cateye buttons readily available? I don't see them on Cateye site.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Lots of places have them and your LBS can order. Or google "cateye remote buttons".

pawnii

by pawnii

I've seen them on Amazon
2012 Scott Foil Premium

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com