50mm Carbon Clinchers...500 mile review pg. 7

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Timebandit415

by Timebandit415

^^^ You have a great tourist style position on the bike. :wink:

spytech

by spytech

Any more update on others who have purchased these rims/wheels? what is the verdict so far on durability and braking?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MikeMiranda

by MikeMiranda

I've got a bit over 250 miles on mine I've paired mine with the new SRAM red brakes I've been riding the brakes on various decent in effort to heat them up, to no avail only making them warm to the touch, So far I'm happy with them, I use them to commute to work
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338230007.429901.jpg

eric

by eric

I have a set of Farsports 50mm clinchers (FSL50-CM) I built on White H1 hubs.

I used the wheels yesterday in the Mt Hamilton Road Race. I had a poor race but the wheels did fine. Mt Ham features the worst descent I've ever done in a race- 4.5 miles averaging 8.7% with plenty of tight turns and a cattle guard. Every time I've done this race I have seen guys in my field crash on the descent and guys from previous fields who have already crashed. The organizers station medical personnel and radio operators all the way down the descent. This year there was one rider far down a cliff and a couple crashers who were getting attention from medical personnel.

I'm glad to report that my rims did not explode, even though a support vehicle got in front of my chase group and made us go slow for most of the descent so I had to brake more than normal. Braking got a bit grabbier as the rim heated up but it still worked. Inspection today shows shiny sections on the brake track scrim where the pads were applied but nothing that looks like damage. When I get a chance I'll make some measurements to see if rim width variance has increased.

This isn't the worst descent in the area, but it's a pretty good test. It's about the limit for where I'm comfortable using carbon wheels.

Dammit

by Dammit

I'm tempted by a pair of these, I currently have a pair of the tubular ones, but the convenience of clinchers is a siren song.

I bought the tubs due to the overheating under brakes issue, and that I wanted to use the wheels in the Alps.

I'm debating just running my DA 7850/OpenPro on the front for that though.

eric

by eric

I'm only going to use these wheels for races, and just enough training so I am used to them (they tend to get blown around a bit). The braking, while a little better than my Reynolds carbon clinchers, is not that great. I do a lot of descending in training, including the road I was racing down yesterday. In training the 2% aero wattage savings (or whatever it is), isn't worth worrying about the braking.

spytech

by spytech

eric wrote:I'm only going to use these wheels for races, and just enough training so I am used to them (they tend to get blown around a bit). The braking, while a little better than my Reynolds carbon clinchers, is not that great. I do a lot of descending in training, including the road I was racing down yesterday. In training the 2% aero wattage savings (or whatever it is), isn't worth worrying about the braking.

So you do not think they would survive the rigors of everyday training? i have a friend who is considering them for everyday use. around here the biggest climb we do is bear mountain - 4.5miles @ 5.7% avg. other than that we do 1.5 mile climb 5 times then mostly flat. what is your opinion for my particular situation?

on the RBR forum, ive heard of them coming out with a wider version, that sounds more interesting to me.

eric

by eric

It depends on how much braking you have to do. My descents are often steeper than that, and most of them are technical and require braking for many of the turns.

But the reason I won't use them in training is the aero advantage of deep rims is meaningless when you are training. You should be trying harder anyhow. Light weight is not that important either. So the wheels two advantages are neutralized while their drawbacks remain. I'm yet to be convinced that they are as durable and long lasting as aluminium rims, and the braking is not as good.

The wider rims might be interesting.

vince15

by vince15

after reading much comments, i decided to purchase a pair of 50C rims from farsport, i waited more than 1 month as the guys advised the 2 weeks delivery time, whatever, i got the rims last week and built them soon, but what's the disappointment is that there were some lumps in the brake track, this is how the lumps look after a 500 miles, any one had the experience about warranty? Can i ask for refund?
Attachments
Farsport 50C.jpg
Farsport 50C-1.jpg

absmith

by absmith

carbon337 wrote:Would be nice if people could post links and seller info when listing specs and parts on this thread.

http://www.focus-carbon.com
http://www.carbon-bikes.com

MikeMiranda

by MikeMiranda

vince15 wrote:after reading much comments, i decided to purchase a pair of 50C rims from farsport, i waited more than 1 month as the guys advised the 2 weeks delivery time, whatever, i got the rims last week and built them soon, but what's the disappointment is that there were some lumps in the brake track, this is how the lumps look after a 500 miles, any one had the experience about warranty? Can i ask for refund?

are these the same rims from back in your February post?

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I've put in 4-500 miles on my Farsport 50mm CC now including circuit and road races, lots of sprints, lots of ascending and descending (several prolonged 45mph+), and more bumps, cracks, and potholes than I would like! Since I put these wheels on I haven't taken them off - I figure at this price they're an affordable training wheel and I might as well see how durable they are. I am not one to be heavy on the brakes on most descents - but I've taken quite a few sketchy descents lately on these wheels where I had no choice and as soon as I come to a stop at the bottom I feel the braking surface - not once has it been hot to the touch. On a couple group rides I've had the pleasure of following someone who didn't like calling out objects and have smacked obstructions that made me cringe - yet there isn't a single blemish in the wheels - nor have they gone out of true (though I had them assembled locally). The braking surface does have a bit of a shine to it though, as another poster mentioned, however - I don't feel it has affected braking performance at all.

On another note, these are my first "aero" wheels as well as my first carbon wheels - I appreciate the slightly smoother ride over normal to slightly bumpy tarmac but I can't say I've noticed any difference in performance (aero or weight-based) over my Kinlin XR270... though, they may be a little stiffer climbing and sprinting.

cep111

by cep111

Just a follow up ride report now that I have some more miles under my belt. I bought my rims from Light-Bicycle.com and built them on Token carbon Tiramac hubs with DT Aerolite spoke. I'm at 500 miles and I have been using them as everyday group ride wheels. Love em! I'm actually surprised at how good they brake and was expecting them to be worse than my normal rims but there not. Performance advantage? Only thing that is noticable is on down hills, I tend to gain quite a bit of distance now on my normal group ride buddies on the downhills. I plan on buying a second pair to build up. I'm totally happy.
Attachments
KPace_9775.jpg
KPace_9778.jpg

Craigagogo

by Craigagogo

I just ordered FSC50-CM from Farsports. Do you guys have any idea how long it will take to receive my wheel set? It's only been one day (I am impatient!) and have not received a tracking number yet.
More than 10 years a Weenie!

Bender

by Bender

Craigagogo wrote:I just ordered FSC50-CM from Farsports. Do you guys have any idea how long it will take to receive my wheel set? It's only been one day (I am impatient!) and have not received a tracking number yet.

I got mine in about 10 days shipped to the US!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com