Silent, 30-50 mm aero wheels for up to 650 €?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

phlip

by phlip

I am about to order a Canyon Ultimate CF 8.0 (Campagnolo). In my opinion moderately-high profile aero wheels would look pretty sweet on it, that's why I'd like to buy some to replace the stock Mavic Ksyrium Equipe.

However, spinning a few wheels at the LBS and listening to some bikes on the road over the last few weeks I noticed that many wheel's free-wheels are pretty noisy. I can't stand that.

Do good wheels exist that have a 30-50 mm rim, cost up to 650 €, and that are rather silent? Ideally with a black brake track. I weigh 85 kg.

DMF

by DMF

I'd say Shimano RS-80 C50 is spot on, ofcourse you will hear the freewheel but it is IME nowhere near as loud as Zipp, Mavic, Reynolds and many others.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

phlip

by phlip

Thanks DMF, but I would need Campagnolo-compatible wheels.

Any other wheels worth considering?

I think as long as the brake track is black I would also like 20-30 mm rims.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Why would you hear it? Surely you are either pedaling, or stopped? :wink:

vDECKERv

by vDECKERv

how funny, I just built a new wheelset and went out of my way to make the freespin as loud as possible. :thumbup:

Elpimpo

by Elpimpo

RTW wrote:Why would you hear it? Surely you are either pedaling, or stopped? :wink:

This!

And, why would 'sound' even matter? Wheels do soooo much to change the ride quality and handling characteristics (& weight, stiffness) of your bike that i cant see sound mattering the slightest. Especially if you are either pedaling or stopped.

ALAN Carbon+

by ALAN Carbon+

Unless you are keen to go a full carbon rim I think you will struggle to get something with a black braking surface, or something that will stay black over time.

If you want carbon you could look at planet x or campy bullet 50. But the bullets are heavyish with alloy braking surface.

Alloy you could try campy zondas or Easton EA90 aero but these are closer to 30mm than 50mm.

A lot will come down to what type of terrain you ride and what weight range you are targeting.

phlip

by phlip

RTW, Elpimpo: I coast quite often. For me, sound (or better: the lack of it) is not more important than ride characteristics, but still important.

ALAN Carbon+: Thanks for your input, I was already suspecting that for a black braking surface I would need full carbon wheels. Actually, that's the reason why I wrote 30 to 50 mm, and not just 50. Are the wheels you mention rather silent? The Planet X wheels seem interesting because the are no too expensive. Do you know anything about their "noise emissions"?

ALAN Carbon+

by ALAN Carbon+

I can only give feedback on the noise of the Zondas. The set I have a much quieter than other campy wheels I have had.

In the similar price range to the Campy Zondas are the Fulcrum wheels, Ribble has the Racing 1 for 660 Euros.

Another option I came across is from Yishun, the are producing a 40mm alloy wheel. Again not sure how noisy the freehub will be. http://www.shop-yishunbike.com/wheels/r ... ike-wheels" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The planet x look appealing from a price point perspective. There may be others who can give feedback on them.

Good luck and enjoy your new bike.

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

phlip

by phlip

That helps a lot, thanks. It's beyond me how anyone could ride around with something like those Exalite Hyper Rear.

I was thinking about the "you either pedal or stop" comments. Were you serious? Genuinely curious.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I get distracted by loud ass freewheels when I race. I was near a guy last night with the noisiest DT240 I've ever heard - I could have sworn he was on an old Zipp... there's no way I could ride that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Estelja

by Estelja

You might want to check out Easton wheels. My Velomax Orions with the R3 hubs are almost dead silent and I would assume that same ratchet and pawls were carried over into the current R4 Easton hubs.