Carbon - Lightens your bike and your wallet
OCBD - Obsessive Compulsive Biking Disorder

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Discoverspeed

by Discoverspeed

Couldn't resist this since the analogy to sports car assembly was mentioned....

The new Storck full sus vs my old faithful hardtail Colnago

Not too bad weight-wise for the Colnago too, considering this build was three years ago (8.6kg)

Closer shot -
Last edited by Discoverspeed on Mon May 28, 2012 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Bikes: S-Works Venge 7.3kg
Storck F.3 5.5kg
Colnago Concept Art Deco CHDK 7/6.5kg
Collection: Team Ti Raleigh 753 Vintage Campy
Ex: Storck F0.6 Di2 6kg, Storck F0.7IS Di2 4.8kg, Storck Aero2 7.04kg Storck Organic Light 11.1kg

Leviathan

by Leviathan

denzity wrote:If I pay you can I come round and spend some alone time with your frame?? That thing is BEAUTIFUL! Can't wait to see it built up :thumbup:

lol

konky

by konky

Discoverspeed, I'm lost for words, I think I'm going to take up off road. Magnificent!!

Discoverspeed

by Discoverspeed

Thanks for the comments

@ denzity - if you fly to Singapore, it's on me. :thumbup:

@ konky - yes, you must take up off-road. It is both more technical on the build and ride
Storck F.3 5.5kg
Ex: Storck F0.6 Di2 6kg, Storck F0.7IS Di2 4.8kg, Storck Aero2 7.04kg Storck Organic Light 11.1kg

Discoverspeed

by Discoverspeed

Today's build update-

Handcrafted in Germany, built in Singapore

Cobalt 3 wheels launching on Rocket Rons

Pretty light. Front 1.54kg Rear 1.99kg (with rotors and skewers)

Slipping the wheel on... the blue spokes and blue rim edge complement Storck's corporate speed blue highlights throughout the bike

Storck F.3 5.5kg

LAN

by LAN

Great to see another Organic Light on this site....we share the same fondness for Storck :)

I have had a little over a year on the Organic Light and have some comments/advise for you.

The frame geometry is a little weird, with very steep angles (both seat and headtube angle), I usually like a very fast handling bike, but I believe the Storck with a 100mm fork is just to fast/nervous. I use a 120mm Fox, but if I should do it again I would go for a Lefty 140mm, which is a little longer than the Fox 120mm, but shorter than the Fox 140mm.

The rear suspension is a very efficient design, that are effected by chain torque, so when you hammer out of the saddle it stiffens-up, without the need for a lock out. While soft pedaling, or when riding downhill, the suspesion is 100% active. But also here I have found that I need to set up the rear shock different than other bikes. I usually like my suspension on the firm/efficient side, but when it comes to the Storck I run less pressure in the rear shock, so more sag, which gives a lower bottom bracket height, and better handling in corners. I usually bottom-out a couple of times per ride, but the suspension never feels inefficient. This is the best bike I have tried when it comes to climbing technical climbs, and I have cleared sections I have never made on any other bike (Rebellion 1.0, Scott Scale, Trek Topfuel, Trek Fuel EX, Adrenalin Carbon ++++). It has great traction when climbing with a constanst power on the pedals, but when you really put pressure on the pedals right before an obstacle, the suspension gets stiff, and shoots forward, and when you stop pedaling and shift your weight forward to get over the obstacle the suspesion soaks up the terrain.

It's also a very versatile bike, I have set it up with a solid build for normal trailriding, but when I use my 1004g Ax-Lightness wheelset, the bike is very fast against the clock.

The only downside I have found is that the chainstays don't allow for low q-factor cranksets.

Discoverspeed

by Discoverspeed

Completed today.

Final weight 11.1 Kg almost on the dot with the paper build estimate.

I actually like the wheels quite a lot

Storck F.3 5.5kg

konky

by konky

I want I want

PS The wheels definately match the frame and look great.

mrfish

by mrfish

I think this brings new meaning to the word 'acceptable'. Clearly you are a master of understatement. Thanks for sharing. I look forward to the next build.

Discoverspeed

by Discoverspeed

mrfish - that should be an Organic 2. v :wink:
Storck F.3 5.5kg

TerribleCadence

by TerribleCadence

How does it ride? Looks like a very upright position. Also, is there much room for mud clearance on the rear triangle, the 'seat tube' part, on the non-driveside??

Another very nice build added to the collection of very nice builds :thumbup:
FELT AR0 Now sold.
CAAD10 Force 22, Quarq, Ksyrium SLR
LOOK 695 Light, Force22, Zipp 303.

eurperg

by eurperg

Looks nice but kinda old school.. Geometry-wise it's like suspension frames from the early 2000's :noidea:

Discoverspeed

by Discoverspeed

@eurpeg - you are exactly right. This is a masterpiece collector's item for me as it marks probably the last incarnation of the Organic Light which was designed in 1995 and prototyped as the Organic in 1998. I understand that the Organic is the first completely carbon full sus frame in the world and it is still one of the lightest to date. It is no longer "on Katalog" but "on Application" basis directly from Storck. The significance of the Organic is not being the most modern piece of equipment out there now but "the one that started it all".

This bike is now a permanent collection piece at the Neue Sammlung (The International Design Museum Munich) der Pinakothek der Moderne in München which is the oldest museum in the the design world. The museum houses more than 80,000 objects in the areas of Industrial Design, Applied Arts and Graphic Design, making it the world's largest and most important collection of 20th and 21st Century design. More importantly for Markus Storck, the Organic now takes pride of place along German design classics like the Porsche and Volkswagen. A tremendous recognition for any bike designer and manufacturer.

No doubt that back in Germany, Markus Storck is already penning down the initial design of the Organic 2. Another superlative for sure.
Storck F.3 5.5kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Discoverspeed

by Discoverspeed

@TerribleCadence - sorry that the photo is not that clear but the carbon piece you see between the tire and rear shock is actually a full carbon "fender" designed to shield mud away from the rear shock. From the photo's side elevation shot, the tire clearance is not clearly shown but it is comfortably there. I will try to post another shot when I am back home from traveling.
Storck F.3 5.5kg